Texas Vehicle Inspection

Onthego

From the Motor Vehicle Registration Manual:

"A multi-year registration renewal option for 24 or 36 months was previously available for most vehicle types in IVTRS; however, in preparation for the combined registration and inspection sticker, online renewals are now only available for 12 month periods."

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone said "why would you register your vehicle if you never move it?" Leaseholders at The Ranch are required to have up-to-date registrations on all motorhomes and trailers even if they don't move them. We could end up having to register our fifth wheel in New Mexico if this law stays on the books.

The only problem with this issue, to my mind, is the 90 day prior to renewing deadline. I'm not sure exactly what they hope to accomplish with this. As long as the data base is going to be established, why wouldn't a current annual inspection be acceptable done any time during the year? That would, of course, require one to return to Texas at least once per year, but at ones own convenience. Not only would this assure that, at least once each year a vehicles headlights and taillights were working, but may, in some circumstances even increase the states revenue as folks would possibly get their inspections done before they were due based on when they were in the state that year. This, of course, would not be acceptable for people who may not return to Texas annualy.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

The only problem with this issue, to my mind, is the 90 day prior to renewing deadline. I'm not sure exactly what they hope to accomplish with this. As long as the data base is going to be established, why wouldn't a current annual inspection be acceptable done any time during the year?

Because you could technically get away with 1 inspection for 2 years worth of registration if you renew your registration on day 1 and day 364 of your inspection.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Guest KellyGarner

Because you could technically get away with 1 inspection for 2 years worth of registration if you renew your registration on day 1 and day 364 of your inspection.

So what? The state still gets their fee for each year! Lets not get into that idealistic discussion that it has anything to do with health & safety. :rolleyes:

Howdy!

I was just informed by a neighbor that Escapees Rainbow park in Livingston is hosting a pre election meeting on Saturday 02-15-2014 at 1:00PM. Persons running for election in Polk County and State and federal will be persent to speek. This would be a question at the top of the list to be asked. Any one have any information regarding this meeting? I plan on being there. It seems the Escapees would have mentioned this up coming meeting and the needs for this to be addressed at it.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

so what was their response at the meeting on this topic?

http://workinrvers.blogspot.com

2002 Winnebago Journey DL

2010 Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide

2007 Dodge Dakota

So what? The state still gets their fee for each year! Lets not get into that idealistic discussion that it has anything to do with health & safety. :rolleyes:

And I never said it did. The man asked a question about what purpose was served by the 90 day period and I answered him. Learn to read!

Also your reply is technically inaccurate. In my example, after renewing your registration on day 364, you wouldn't need to get another inspection for 12 months, thus allowing you to possibly get by with an inspection every other year.

Edited by Travis Carr

2014 smart Fortwo

Coffee, Phil......coffee......

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

so what was their response at the meeting on this topic?

Howdy!

I did attend the meeting and was a little disapointed. They had quite a turnout I think over twenty candidates and over 200 in attendance. The forum was setup to permit each candidate to speak and they where limited to four minutes, and "NO QUESTIONS" could be asked. If you had a question you had to ask each of them afterward. Not knowing which one to best direct my question to I started with the person with Escapees running the forum. Sorry I don't recall her name but she had no clue about it. She directed me to Teresa Moore. She advised me they were aware of the issue and then diercted me to Jim Koca also with Escapees. They both advised me that the person I needed to speak with Rep. White who was not persent. Jim Koca stated we should not worry as he expected a exemption would be permitted for persons outside the state. Thats it!

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

chiefneon, thanks for the report. With that many people I am not surprised that they had to put limitations. I am a little disappointed that Rep.White was not in attendance but it true you can't be everywhere so I can only assume there was a good reas on until I know otherwise. I would think that our Sen. Nichols is as important on this issue as Rep. White. I am a little disappointed in the answer you got from Mr. Koca, although it is a little early in the game for anyone to have concrete answers. Again thanks for the report.

I have been in contact with Senator Nichols'office. They are definitely aware of the issue and have been helpful putting me in touch with people that know what's going on. I just sent a follow-up to his office. If I get any new information, I'll post it.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

Thank you, mrshwarz.

To be fair Kellyg with 20 candidates to speak they had to have some kind of limit for anyone to say anything. If they had given them a free hand everyone might still be sitting there listening. And you just know most probably stretched their time. It does say something about the possible weight the members of escapees voting influence that so many would show up given the limits on time.

Guest KellyGarner

This registration issue could have a devastating affect on Escapees future business yet the person running the forum from Escapees "...had no clue about it..."

The law had to take 3 years to get passed originally (without a peep from Escapees) Then the law hits and it's effect becomes obvious. Then Escapees sells100 lifetime memberships to lock in future business as well as offering a 20% discount to all members that sign up for 5 years - further locking in future members (but at a significant cost to future cash flow). Here was a perfect forum to discuss the issue and press to all politicians it's importance to the Escapees business and the Escapees members/ electorate - yet the person running the forum from Escapees "...had no clue about it..."????

I would like to hear Escapees reasoning for downplaying this issue.

I would like to hear Escapees reasoning for downplaying this issue.

I'm not sure I would say anyone is "downplaying" it. From what I understand someone from Escapees is pursuing the issue with the politicians. How is that downplaying it? Perhaps there is no info to share at the moment?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I'm not sure I would say anyone is "downplaying" it. From what I understand someone from Escapees is pursuing the issue with the politicians. How is that downplaying it? Perhaps there is no info to share at the moment?

You have to admit they missed the boat on this one. They were not watching what was going on during the past legislative session - - isn't that part of the reason that we join Escapees, because they are suppose to be on top of issues affecting RVers and to lobby effectively for our interests? I think Kelly hit the nail on the head - no one was paying any attention and now they are trying to downplay what could be really serious effects for all of us. Think how much easier it would have been to be told about "Pending" legislation, organize a lobbying effort to point out a potential problem, and get something in place for those who would be out of state for continuous periods of time into the original law, rather than trying to cobble something together afterwards.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

No one can catch everything that goes on in the government all the time. I don't believe most of the people who voted for it even understood it. This may even have been what I call "stealth" legislation with an agenda. The fact that escapees is addressing it now and that will be usefull.

I think that's the problem right there, Jim. This was, for whatever reason, stealth legislation. I was back in Texas for the overwhelming majority, if not all, of the 2013 Legislative Session, and neither saw nor heard a bit of coverage of this until well after the fact, when it was mentioned in a post a few months ago on this board, in the HDT Forum.

Had I heard anything at all about this at the time it would have had my undivided attention, because this new procedure has the potential to have a profound impact on my wife and me. I travel for work, and usually have no definite idea of when we'll be back (the assignments end "whenever the work is done"). In fact, I was continuously absent from my previous domicile (Pennsylvania) for the last 8 1/2 years that I "lived" there, and up until just over a year ago, was absent from Texas for what ended up being thirty-five months, instead of the anticipated eight or nine months that we thought that we were going to be gone. Registration wasn't a problem, though, in either case, because both states at the time allowed registration renewal by internet and mail, and both waived their mandatory inspection requirement for as long as the vehicles were continuously out of state, so long as everything was current when we left their jurisdiction -- and in all cases, it was. This new law, should Texas implement and enforce it as written, would wreak havoc on our ability to take out-of-state assignments, since it would be impossible to get back for the inspections on a timely basis for all four of our "vehicles". If I was fortunate enough to be at home in November ONLY, I could comply and register three of them, but the fourth is totally out of sync with the others, and being home any month other than November would eliminate compliance for at least one or two of the remaining three, and possibly all four -- so if there had been any coverage or public discussion of this legislation, I would have immediately contacted my state legislators from the Valley and the Legislative Affairs people at Escapees.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Good Day to All SKP’s

This is an update to the new registration law that will be enacted on March 1, 2015. Escapees have been in contact with the Polk County Registration office, the Texas Department of Public Safety, the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, several State Representatives, and the State Senator for Polk County. People with recreational vehicles are not the only ones that are affected by this new law. The trucking industry and general contractors who operate out of state are asking the same questions that we are about the new law. They are also contacting the above agencies looking for answers and voicing their concerns about the registration law. What I have learned while researching this topic and asking the pointed questions, is that DPS and DMV are currently working on the data base for the inspection process. The policies and procedures are on the drafting table and they are aware of the issues that Escapees, the trucking industry and contractors have brought to their attention.

There is a law that will also take effect on March 1, 2015, Transportation Code Section 548.103 – Extended Inspection Period for Certain Vehicles - which states that “The department may extend the time within which the resident owner of a vehicle that is not in this state when an inspection is required must obtain a vehicle inspection report in this state.”

The department is the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. A version of this law has been in place since September 1, 1995.

Escapees are very actively working on this new law and we are looking for answers from the State of Texas about the new procedures for renewal of our vehicles while traveling out of state. As information is developed, I will post it on the forum, in order to keep you, the members, informed.

James Koca

Escapees RV Advocacy Director

Good Day to All SKP’s

Thanks for the update James. Hopefully all will be straight by march 2015 and all of the DVM folks will have an understanding of this. We will be a couple of thousand miles from Polk county when our tags are due next year.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

You have to admit they missed the boat on this one. They were not watching what was going on during the past legislative session -

They weren't the only ones. As I said this seems to have caught almost everyone by surprise...even groups with PAID lobbyists.

No one can catch everything that goes on in the government all the time. I don't believe most of the people who voted for it even understood it.

You hit the nail on the head Jim.

I think that's the problem right there, Jim. This was, for whatever reason, stealth legislation. I was back in Texas for the overwhelming majority, if not all, of the 2013 Legislative Session, and neither saw nor heard a bit of coverage of this until well after the fact, when it was mentioned in a post a few months ago on this board, in the HDT Forum.

Phil, I think the main issue is that this was listed more as simply a "consolidation" of windshield stickers, more than anything else. I think that is how the "details" got over looked. Every one said "One sticker? Oh that is better." and just voted "yes".

2014 smart Fortwo

They may have even looked at having 90 days to get the inspection as a good thing but I personnally think there is a bigger agenda somewhere here and while I am certain that revenue listed as a fee instead of a tax is a big part,,that someone in this mix has some fish to fry. A negative to no inspection sticker is that law enforcement can not tell by looking that a vehicle is out of compliance and must look it up on the computer.