Texas Vehicle Inspection

Onthego

When we first became domiciled in Texas, we drove to Livingston and had everything done (vehicle inspection, driver's licenses, vehicle registration, voter's registration) within 4 hours of arriving in town. This was our first time in the State of Texas...we certainly had not been there for 30 days!

SAME WITH US! We became Texans and did all the vehicle registrations, took Class B test, and got licensed within a few days. As a matter of fact, we weren't even in the state for a month that first year! We have a car stored in Ohio with current TX plates & registration that hasn't been here (Texas) for several years.

Paul & Marsha Weaver
Bella our cat
2008 Carriage Cameo 35' SB3
2010 Ford F350 DRW
Blog: http://wheresweaver.blogspot.com
SKP# 102686

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do NOT have to show proof of TX domicile for 30 days before getting a license. Not unless it changed in the last 60 days. That is simply not the case. You Do have to do a bunch of other things - as documented here and elsewhere, but you do not have to show 30 days of domicile.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhomeĀ 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I was in Texas for a while and contemplated "going Texan" but decided to keep my Florida residency (and vehicle registrations). Texas has some bizarre steps to "go Texan". First, you have to register your vehicle in TX within 30 days. But you cannot get a drivers license until you've been in the state for at least 30 days (proven by certain acceptable documents which show you've been there at least 30 days). WTF?!?!? I couldn't navigate the requirements and put down a set of steps to follow on a piece of paper, so I gave up. I eventually left Texas because I found the people "inhospitable".

You sure do "know" a lot of things which are not true. There is no such requirement and many an Escapee Texan has taken care of everything by spending 1 week or less in the state and then going on the road. Had you asked here, there is a booklet available free from Escapees that is titled How to Become a Real Texan that spells out just what is needed and demonstrates how it is one of the easiest states of all for the process.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Ā 

There is one very important issue that is being overlooked in this discussion. That is the incentive of Polk County, and Livingston in particular, to not let this new law deter Escapees from easily registering their vehicles and RV's in Texas.

Ā 

That incentive is purly financial. Both Polk County and Livingston, receive both federal and state financing for essential services baced on population. Should several thousand Escapees suddenly find it unacceptable to use Livingston as their legal domicile, both Polk County and Livingston will lose siginificent amounts of revenues. I am sure that the City Fathers realize the value of receiving these revenues, without having to provide very many of those essential services.

Ā 

Escapees, are a very profitable commodity to Polk County and Livingston. Maximim income, with minimum costs.

Ā 

Therefore, I would expect Polk County and Livingston to see that it is in their best interests, to fight for some kind of easing of the law for traveling RV'ers.

Larry & Joan Whitworth
Daisy - The Japanese Chin
Alex - The Tibetan Spaniel
2010 Crossroads Kingston KF36CK
2008 F-250 6.4L
Edge Evolution Programmer
Full Time Since 2007

USMC 1963-1969

Vietnam 1965-1966

Guest KellyGarner

I doubt if that argument would fly at the State or Federal level as it could be viewed as Livingston and Polk County are taking advantage of the system and garnering in excess of their "Fair Share" based on the very arguments of why Escapees is attractive to them..

The point is, that it is in their interests to at least try to preserve those revenues, by whatever means available to them.

Ā 

Besides, the state of Texas may very well lose millions of license, and registration revenues. Do the math. If the average RV annual registration is $250/year, with 10,000 RV registrations, that is $25 million over 10 years.

Ā 

I would bet, that the state of South Dakota would welcome those dollars.

Larry & Joan Whitworth
2008 F-250 6.4L
Full Time Since 2007

USMC 1963-1969

Vietnam 1965-1966

The point is, that it is in their interests to at least try to preserve those revenues, by whatever means available to them.

Ā 

Besides, the state of Texas may very well lose millions of license, and registration revenues. Do the math. If the average RV annual registration is $250/year, with 10,000 RV registrations, that is $25 million over 10 years.

Ā 

I would bet, that the state of South Dakota would welcome those dollars.

Beg to differ on that, South Dakota will NOT get all those Rv'ers because they don't have any acceptable insurance for RV'ers..

Different thread somewhere here..

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV MemphisĀ 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

There is a much larger and more powerful group than RV's, Polk County or the Escapee's that will be working to get this changed. The trucking industry means a whole lot more lost revenue to this state than every RV registered in the state. Like Jack said, don't panic. The sky is not falling yet. The inspection law in Texas recognizes the state inspections from 12 other states, and has for years. You never know, there may be a way to get inspected in another state and show verification to Texas. Predicting what may or may not happen, threatening to change your domicile, or anything else will do nothing to resolve the situation...and it is a situation that may never occur.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance toĀ idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3Ā 

2014 smart Fortwo

Ā 

Ā 
Ā 

Are any of you aware of the fact that you can register your trailer for more then one year in Texas? I just, a few months ago, renewed my registered on my truck and three trailers for three years. I wonder how they will handle that? I have two trailers, cattle and flatbed, that are farm and don't require inspection. My fiver is due inspection in October and if I don't move it for a month or two and then I just get it inspected when I do. That will not be possible with the new law. I wonder what the issue was that caused then to change the law? I don't think that I like it.

The trucking industry means a whole lot more lost revenue to this state than every RV registered in the state.

Ā 

But I assume that since the trucking industry spends all its time driving around, a three-month window to get the truck inspected might be considered sufficient.

Ā 

Ā 

Beg to differ on that, South Dakota will NOT get all those Rv'ers because they don't have any acceptable insurance for RV'ers..

Different thread somewhere here..

Ā 

I suspect most Escapees are on Medicare so wouldn't South Dakota work fine for them on the insurance front?

Ā 

Ā 

I don't understand your comment about no one caring about RV'ers after the example of someone out of state for a good reason maybe having to drive back to Tx for a vehicle inspection so they can keep their registration current. The effect is the same.

Ā 

I'm saying that if you're trying to make a case that the law creates a hardship, you'd be smart to trot out a sick child at St. Jude's as opposed to a couple of cottontops in a blinging motorhome having the Grand Canyon to themselves in the off season.

Guest KellyGarner

I like it! :) "... a couple of cotton-tops in a bling-bling motorhome having the Grand Canyon to themselves in the off season." But unfortunately that's the impression we are up against everywhere.

There is a much larger and more powerful group than RV's, Polk County or the Escapee's that will be working to get this changed. The trucking industry means a whole lot more lost revenue to this state than every RV registered in the state. Like Jack said, don't panic. The sky is not falling yet. The inspection law in Texas recognizes the state inspections from 12 other states, and has for years. You never know, there may be a way to get inspected in another state and show verification to Texas. Predicting what may or may not happen, threatening to change your domicile, or anything else will do nothing to resolve the situation...and it is a situation that may never occur.

Gee, and all along I thought that this was a discussion.

Ā 

Don't know about you, but I can't say that I have heard any "threats' here. Just a bunch of RV'ers stating their opinions on the subject. That's what people do when they discuss things. They look at the issue from several different perspectives.

Ā 

Relax, take a breath.

Larry & Joan Whitworth
2008 F-250 6.4L
Full Time Since 2007

USMC 1963-1969

Vietnam 1965-1966

Are any of you aware of the fact that you can register your trailer for more then one year in Texas? I just, a few months ago, renewed my registered on my truck and three trailers for three years. I wonder how they will handle that? I have two trailers, cattle and flatbed, that are farm and don't require inspection. My fiver is due inspection in October and if I don't move it for a month or two and then I just get it inspected when I do. That will not be possible with the new law. I wonder what the issue was that caused then to change the law? I don't think that I like it.

But what good is that to those with Motorhomes and toads, often they have different registration dates.

Ā 

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Howdy!

Ā 

I was just informed by a neighbor that Escapees Rainbow park in Livingston is hosting a pre election meeting on Saturday 02-15-2014 at 1:00PM. Persons running for election in Polk County and State and federal will be persent to speek. This would be a question at the top of the list to be asked. Any one have any information regarding this meeting? I plan on being there. It seems the Escapees would have mentioned this up coming meeting and the needs for this to be addressed at it.

Ā 

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

But I assume that since the trucking industry spends all its time driving around, a three-month window to get the truck inspected might be considered sufficient.

Except for the Texas based companies with trucks and trailers that operate solely out of an out of state terminal, and/or the independent o/o who is just like a fulltimer, registered here but never comes back. Texas has only recently (2yrs ago?) begun to allow multi year registrations (as was mentioned above by whj) to attract the Texas companies that have all of their trailers registered in Oklahoma, Louisiana and other states that already had multi year and none expiring trailer registration. With this new inspection program, the step forward they made two years ago will instantly be undone. Commercial vehicles are required to be inspected and there are many ways to obtain an inspection without having to return to Texas. Token trailer license plates no longer have expiration date stickers on them either, so the registration can be renewed easily even if the trailer is not in the state. This new law will change that and require Texas registered trailers (including RV's) to come back to Texas for an inspection. That won't happen. The carriers will simply change their state of registration, costing Texas a lot more revenue that any amount of RV'ers.

Ā 

Don't know about you, but I can't say that I have heard any "threats' here.

"If this becomes law as currently written we will change our domicile to SD or Florida. "

"if this goes through then we will go with Florida as there are no annual inspections"

"But if it stands, I will have to leave TX."

threatĀ·en verb \Ėˆthre-tən\

: to say that you will do something unwanted especially in order to make someone do what you want

Hmm, I guess you define threat differently that I do.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance toĀ idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3Ā 

2014 smart Fortwo

Ā 

Ā 
Ā 

Except for the Texas based companies with trucks and trailers that operate solely out of an out of state terminal, and/or the independent o/o who is just like a fulltimer, registered here but never comes back. Texas has only recently (2yrs ago?) begun to allow multi year registrations (as was mentioned above by whj) to attract the Texas companies that have all of their trailers registered in Oklahoma, Louisiana and other states that already had multi year and none expiring trailer registration. With this new inspection program, the step forward they made two years ago will instantly be undone. Commercial vehicles are required to be inspected and there are many ways to obtain an inspection without having to return to Texas. Token trailer license plates no longer have expiration date stickers on them either, so the registration can be renewed easily even if the trailer is not in the state. This new law will change that and require Texas registered trailers (including RV's) to come back to Texas for an inspection. That won't happen. The carriers will simply change their state of registration, costing Texas a lot more revenue that any amount of RV'ers.

Ā 

"If this becomes law as currently written we will change our domicile to SD or Florida. "

"if this goes through then we will go with Florida as there are no annual inspections"

"But if it stands, I will have to leave TX."

Hmm, I guess you define threat differently that I do.

Ā 

Those sound like promices to me.

Larry & Joan Whitworth
2008 F-250 6.4L
Full Time Since 2007

USMC 1963-1969

Vietnam 1965-1966

Teresa and Greg don't read the forum on a regular basis so they likely will not see these posts and respond.

Ā 

Someone could call the club office, ask for Teresa and post back what she has to say or ask her to have Greg post it as an official update.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I wonder if an out of state DOT inspection would be considered valid. You would assume that it would carry more weight than just a regular vehicle safety inspection,ā€¦but then again, we all know what happens when we make assumptions too. Oh well, if it happens, then I'll just load my trucks up on my gooseneck trailer and take a trip from Phoenix to El Paso to get it done. I don't think that getting 5 vehicles inspected will be that bad. If it happens, I'll figure something out.

2001 Kenworth T600, Cat 3406E, 525 hp, 18sp, 3.55 gear ratio
2012 41' Keystone Fuzion 399 Toyhauler
2005 Chevy 3500 DRW Crew Cab
2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW Quad Cab
2010 Kawasaki Teryx
2012 Kawasaki Teryx 4

I register all of our trucks and trailers on line and have not been to a tax office in years. You do save a dollar of two with multi year registration. I find that with multi year registration you just don't have to worry about it for a few years. Can't think of any other benefit? Now that I have those three year registrations I just wonder how they will handle the inspections? If you can still do all registrations online it will not matter that they have different due dates.

I don't know who will be at the forum tomorrow at the activity center at Rainbow's End but I intend to bide my time and wait for some feedback from other Escapees that will be present. I expect it will be brought up by someone to the canditates. Hopefully out State Sen and Rep will be present. Not casting stones at this point but I believe the Sen. is on the transportation committee and I would think that would be relivent to this issue. I believe someone on one of these threads has already said he will be there and intends to bring it up if possible.

i will just renew everything for 3 years when due. that will give them time to work it all out.

Think you might want to check. This is from the Motor Vehicle Registration Manual:

Ā 

"A multi-year registration renewal option for 24 or 36 months was previously available for most vehicle types in IVTRS; however, in preparation for the combined registration and inspection sticker, online renewals are now only available for 12 month periods."

Ā 

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834