Texas Vehicle Inspection

Onthego

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do the online registration it is part of the registration process....it will give you a chance to self certify.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 weeks later...

If you do the online registration it is part of the registration process....it will give you a chance to self certify.

FWIW. That's for registration renewal. Yesterday, I got a form letter telling me to get a state inspection first and mail it in. My registration renewal is due in April. No info on out of state procedure was given in the mailer. I called Polk DMV this AM and Mandy told to just go to the website and renew as usual. The first screen allows you to opt-out of the state inspection by being out of state and a

RVer. Easy-peasy, like Jack said. No need for form VTR-272-B on renewal. Still needed on first time TX registration though. HTHs rockin'

Edited by rockintom

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

Slightly related. I thought I could renew my Drvrs License early and went on line. For some reason the inforation allowing me to do it returned a information not located reply and that I must renew in person. In researching it said if allowed I could renew up to a year early. 2nd point I discovered that if I have a Class A, B, or CDL I have to renew in person each time. I had thought that only a CDL was required to be in person each time. Does anyone know if this is fairly new.

You can renew an A or B exempt license by MAIL - NOT online - every other time. The other times have to be in person so they can get a new picture. I've done the mail renewal for years, but only every other time. You cannot renew online for an A or B Exempt. At least not that I have seen.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

FWIW. That's for registration renewal. Yesterday, I got a form letter telling me to get a state inspection first and mail it in. My registration renewal is due in April. No info on out of state procedure was given in the mailer. I called Polk DMV this AM and Mandy told to just go to the website and renew as usual. The first screen allows you to opt-out of the state inspection by being out of state and a

RVer. Easy-peasy, like Jack said. No need for form VTR-272-B on renewal. Still needed on first time TX registration though. HTHs rockin'

Thank you for posting.

We just got our notice for renewal due in April and will be out of state, good to know we can self certify/opt-out of state inspection and renew online.

• 10 months later...

Just got jammed up with the 2016 inspection problem. We are 400 miles south of home, and our vehicle needs to be inspected in an AirCheck Texas county. Only 14 counties in the state do them, 240 counties do not do the AirCheck. So we are faced with a drive some 200 miles to the closest correct inspection station, and 200 miles back. Seems since we are in state, we can't self certify, like if we were out of state.

I did not think ahead far enough when we drove away, not really expecting to be gone so long. But in talking to my home county on the phone, they suggested a solution, and I hope it works.

Edited by Dave and Dolly

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

1998 Foretravel, U-295 36', rare mid-door
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, as a toad

Will be going thru Texas in May this year (first time in 3 years) and will need to get rig inspected has anyone gone to any of these sites in West TX for their inspections?:

http://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/VIactiveStationLocator/viSrchResults.aspx

PRO-TECH DIESEL INC. 401 W VINTON RD ANTHONY 915-206-3671 1YR,CW,TSI,CT,TLMC CAMPING WORLD RV SALES 8805 N DESERT BLVD ANTHONY 915-298-5400 1YR,CW,TSI,2YR,TLMC UNCLE BOB'S GARAGE 7931 QUEJETTE ROAD VINTON 915-886-2449 1YR,CW,TSI,CT,TLMC LONE STAR TOWING AND AUTO REPAIR 261 W VINTON RD VINTON 915-886-3909 1YR,TLMC,TSI

Note: If your vehicle is from 1995 or older, you will require either an ASM or TSI test dependent on your location. This information is in the far right column of the stations displayed.

Endorsements:

1yr Annual safety inspection certificate 2yr 2 year certificate issued to new cars ASM Annual emission inspection certificate. OBD Annual emission inspection certificate TSI/OBD Annual emission inspection certificate TL Trailer certificate MC Motorcycle certificate CW/CT Commercial Windshield/Trailer certificate

Will be going thru Texas in May this year (first time in 3 years) and will need to get rig inspected has anyone gone to any of these sites in West TX for their inspections?:

If you are not staying in TX but simply passing through why bother with it? Simply drive through - if you get stopped, then you are "on your way home" after being out of state for 3 years. That is perfectly legal. You have at least 3 days AFTER reaching your home. If you do not get stopped, continue to self-certify as usual.

This will not work if you are staying in TX for any length of time - then you should get the inspections done. Presumably you have a current registration on the vehicle, since you self-certified. You are VERY unlikely to be stopped. It would have to be for another cause. BTW, you should remove any OLD inspection stickers from your windshield. They are no longer used. Only the registration sticker is on the windshield.

Edited by Jack Mayer

www.jackdanmayer.com

I did not think ahead far enough when we drove away, not really expecting to be gone so long. But in talking to my home county on the phone, they suggested a solution, and I hope it works.

What did the county people suggest for getting around this? I don't care whether it actually works or not; I'd like to know what they think might work.

I assume this is for the Jeep and not the motorhome since there is no air checks for diesels. If you are going to be in that area for any length of time, why not 'move' there or 'move' to Livingston?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Just got jammed up with the 2016 inspection problem. We are 400 miles south of home, and our vehicle needs to be inspected in an AirCheck Texas county. Only 14 counties in the state do them, 240 counties do not do the AirCheck. So we are faced with a drive some 200 miles to the closest correct inspection station, and 200 miles back. Seems since we are in state, we can't self certify, like if we were out of state.

Just some food for thought for the future:

In April 2014 we purchased a new Jeep for a toad. The vehicle came with a 2 year inspection sticker that expires at the end of April 2016. Of course when the vehicle was registered the first time the state shaved one month off and the registration expires in March. In 2015, March was the first month of the new inspection/registration program. With 2 year inspection sticker all was valid and I had no problems with registration.

Between work and play I have several vehicle/trailer registrations due in the 1st quarter of the year. So at the end of January I took the time to shuttle them back and forth to get the inspections completed. I did not get the Jeep inspected because the inspection expires at the end of April 2016 and I was out of the 90 day window that an inspection is suppose to be performed prior to registration. Of course I was thinking inspection and not registration since I was in the middle of getting multiple vehicle/trailers inspected. The inspection station agreed it was too early to get the Jeep inspected (again thinking about inspection expiration date and not registration expire date) and still be in the 90 day window. The first week of February rolls around and I get the registration renewal notice in the mail. This is the actual bill and not the notice that I need to get the vehicle inspected prior to registration. I jump online and sure enough it tells me my inspection is valid and lets me proceed with the registration renewal. A few days later I receive my registration sticker in the mail.

So in my case the registration expired before the inspection. It appears the state viewed the inspection as still valid and allowed me to renew my registration before having the vehicle inspected for 2016. One of the trailers I had to get inspected expired in November 2015. I got it inspected and did the renewal in January 2016. So technically the inspection expires now in January and not November. So it will be interesting to see if I am automatically allowed to renew the trailer next year or if they are going to require me to get it inspected first. Maybe a fluke, maybe not.

On a different note, when you take your vehicle to get inspected and it does not fit in the bay of the facility, they will have to manually enter your information. That was the case with the truck, it would not fit inside. So after the inspection the inspector wrote all the necessary information down in his note pad for manual entry in to the inspection computer instead of scanning the sticker. My VIN has the letter "G" in it. He transcribed it as the number "6". This resulted in me being unable to perform the renewal online as the state did not see the vehicle as inspected. In the end I had to stand in line at the county tax office in order to get the renewal completed. I even tried emailing the state with a copy of the Inspection/Registration Notice and passing Inspection report and the states reply was the last record they had of the truck being inspected was in 2009. So beware if your VIN or License has any letters/numbers that can be confused with another letter or number.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

• 2 weeks later...

I assume this is for the Jeep and not the motorhome since there is no air checks for diesels. If you are going to be in that area for any length of time, why not 'move' there or 'move' to Livingston?

Yes for the Jeep. I tried to "move" to Port A, as we had gotten a PO box for our months here, and I had my title in hand. But I could not show a DL or real address, on the island, so I couldn't just re-title it here.

What my home county said to do was, in writing, tell them I was out of town, and to send my fees and proof of insurance, and a request they send the paperwork to me on the island. 10 days later the paperwork arrived in my PO box.

Maybe I fell into the example of timing of the old inspection and registration dates? I really did not want to push them, as they said, send it very quickly, and so I did ASAP.

My motorhome is my next issue, due in April. We will just delay doing the home car, in the garage, that one will be 3 months past do by the time we are home for Drs.

Edited by Dave and Dolly

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

So in my case the registration expired before the inspection. It appears the state viewed the inspection as still valid and allowed me to renew my registration before having the vehicle inspected for 2016. One of the trailers I had to get inspected expired in November 2015. I got it inspected and did the renewal in January 2016. So technically the inspection expires now in January and not November. So it will be interesting to see if I am automatically allowed to renew the trailer next year or if they are going to require me to get it inspected first. Maybe a fluke, maybe not.

No, it wasn't a fluke, Rick. There was a provision in the single sticker law that if the current inspection on a vehicle was still valid when the initial renewal under the law came due, then the vehicle wouldn't require re-inspection. I'd thought that was for renewals on vehicles with annual inspection stickers during the first year of the program (March '15 through February '16), but obviously it's good for vehicles with valid biennial inspections, too.

That said, it's not going to work as you're hoping for that trailer, unfortunately, because under the new law, the inspection that you just had done in January isn't good for a year like it used to be, it's good until your registration expires -- in November.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

My motorhome is my next issue, due in April. We will just delay doing the home car, in the garage, that one will be 3 months past do by the time we are home for Drs.

You can get your motorhome inspected anywhere - there is no special exhaust checks for diesels.

Not sure why you couldn't do a change of address online since you already have the title. That's what we did for our drivers licenses, motorhome, and car when we moved from Tyler to Livingston. Things must have changed since we moved.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Barb, thank you for your suggestions.

I am planning to get the coach inspected here, soon, as I know I don't need to do the AirCheck TX with the diesel. I will mail the paperwork, and will get the return to us at our next location that month.

We are only keeping the house till we don't needing it. We are not sure when or how soon events might require us to stop our travels, and till then we are working on our bucket list items. Let's say, we are only making resv. that can be canceled. She only wants to be home for her Drs. appointments, and wants to stay in her coach as long as possible. We have been blessed beyond measure to have had this last year, on the road.

With the issues of health insurance, a change of address to Polk county does not work for her either.

Edited by Dave and Dolly

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

• 1 month later...

Got my motorhome inspected last month, and will be home this month to renew the tags. I am not in my county, as diesels are exempt from emissions standards that apply here in TX in 14 AirCheck counties, one where I am registered. I just happen to mention the issues of my Jeep, and being out of my county, and 400 miles from home. The inspector said there is now provisions for being out of your home county, as wells as the known provision for being out of state when inspection comes due.

Edited by Dave and Dolly

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

I don't suppose you got any sort of official citation for the out-of-county exemption/extension. I'm wondering how it works because even though your home area is DFW, your emissions inspection could be done in any of the other areas that require emissions testing, like San Antonio or El Paso. So you could drive all over San Antonio and you're still not required to get an emissions test until you're back in the DFW area?

I did not look to find any paperwork on the exemption. When I asked at the places on the island, one being the inspection place, and the city hall, I found no solution.

I don't suppose you got any sort of official citation for the out-of-county exemption/extension. I'm wondering how it works because even though your home area is DFW, your emissions inspection could be done in any of the other areas that require emissions testing, like San Antonio or El Paso. So you could drive all over San Antonio and you're still not required to get an emissions test until you're back in the DFW area?

I found that my closest solution cities were those around Houston, and those around Austin. Close by San Antonio does not require the emissions testing yet. It was weeks latter driving into Fredericksburg when we stopped for the RV inspected that the inspector mentioned the exemption for not being near a county or area with AirCheck.

Funny timing, but just a week after getting the new sticker for the Jeep in the mail, I caught a sale on Splendide combo at PPL, in Houston. So we did a 387 mile round trip for a pick up one day. The drive cost was half the freight cost.

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

Yesterday morning I took the motorhome to be inspected. 24 mile round trip. I just assumed that my inspection from last April was good for a year. I was wrong. My wife had taken care of the registration last October. The person at the inspection place didn't know about self certifying while out of state. They said it was pointless for me to have it inspected because the inspection was good for 90 days. They even suggested to try to change my registration month. After phone calls to Polk county and they could not tell me how to handle it. They gave me a number that was someone in Harris county. My wife found the information online about self certifying and inspection when you get back in the state. Later in the afternoon I returned to the inspection place and got it taken care of. Even then the person asked it I was going to retitle the motorhome. I said no. It was because I had self certified last October out of state. Another 24 mile round trip to get it done.

So be careful the inspection place may not know the rules.

Jeff :)

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

I self certified truck and travel trailer last OCT & Nov. when passing through Texas a few weeks ago I got 4 different answers at 4 different inspection stations and one that would do the trailer but not the truck. As I was passing through and not going to Polk County risked driving on through from Texarkana to Deming via El Paso.

I self certified truck and travel trailer last OCT & Nov. when passing through Texas a few weeks ago I got 4 different answers at 4 different inspection stations and one that would do the trailer but not the truck. As I was passing through and not going to Polk County risked driving on through from Texarkana to Deming via El Paso.

You are allowed three days AFTER you reach your final destination in TX. So if just driving through you should have zero issues.

www.jackdanmayer.com