Awesome Travel Tag

fruitmule

Hi all...we're new in this forum and I sure hope I'm posting in the right place......We rescued a badly abused puppy when travelling in Baja Califonia and he's now 2 1/2....he turned out to be full breed Belgian Malinoix. He's so beautiful and we love him to death......He's used to running free without a leash and most of the parks we visited in the past 6 months had a leash law....Although he's a very weill tempered loving dog, he sneaks out every chance he gets to go play....lol.....Well our kids came up with this temporary id tag.....each time you're in a different area or park, you just write your location, site number and any pertinent info and just insert it in the travel tag....Awesome....We now have a peace of mind!

They'll be at the quartzite rv show this coming Jan....Go see them, you'll love it.....

Just a word of caution at Q......coyotes eat dogs and they would have no problem making off with yours. Dont let him run free on the desert.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Just a word of caution at Q......coyotes eat dogs and they would have no problem making off with yours. Dont let him run free on the desert.

I'll second that and it's not just limited to Q. We were in a walled park in Sun City and there were coyotes inside. May I suggest you get a dog whistle of some kind and teach your dog a solid recall.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

The fact that he's a big dog does not slow them down much.....they are smart. Theywill lure your dog into the desert with one coyote and when he's chasing it all of a sudden there are 4 or more and they will make quick work of him.

You have to remeber that these coyotes kill every day. Does your dog kill every day?

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

I was reading Nick Russel's blog the other day and there was a coyote that took a sheltie right out of his collar and made off with him. The sheltie was tied up to the RV and the owner was a few feet away inside the RV.

Thanks....I understand.....will absolutely protect our dog.....If a coyote can take a sheltie out of his collar while tied up, how in the world can we protect them if outside? We never leave him outside alone but according to your post owner was right inside///

I've been accused of being late to the party once in awhile... But maybe this is just a sales pitch? This idea is not new. If I'm wrong, apologies. But don't EVER think your your dog or any dog is going to get the best of a coyote. By the time you catch up with him the only thing left might be the tag.....

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

In areas with coyote problems it is best to avoid them, early morning and evening are prime times for them to be moving and hunting so taking your walks at other times would be best. I'd not leave a pet unattended at any time, you standing next to it is probably the best deterrent.

If you do get attacked while walking the dog I don't know what would be best but maybe some really good quality bear spray would do the trick. You and the dog are not going to be happy campers but it might drive them off.

We have stayed in many parks where it is not uncommon for a pack to sweep through every evening because of all the potential food sources from careless campers and lost pets are common despite any warnings given by the staff.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

The only dog I've seen take on coyotes is a big Akita that lives on a horse ranch in Alberta , Canada. He will intercept and kill a coyote among the big hay bales in the pasture. I have no idea how he would fare against more than one however.

In areas with coyote problems it is best to avoid them, early morning and evening are prime times for them to be moving and hunting so taking your walks at other times would be best. I'd not leave a pet unattended at any time, you standing next to it is probably the best deterrent.

If you do get attacked while walking the dog I don't know what would be best but maybe some really good quality bear spray would do the trick. You and the dog are not going to be happy campers but it might drive them off.

We have stayed in many parks where it is not uncommon for a pack to sweep through every evening because of all the potential food sources from careless campers and lost pets are common despite any warnings given by the staff.

What about a cattle prod?

or this: http://www.trueswords.com/stun-armed-walking-cane-flashlight-rechargeable-p-5765.html

2006 Volvo VNL630
5th Wheel TBD

The problem with a shock rod or a gun is that the coyotes are quick moving and there are usually several of them. Tagging one won't stop the others and the tagged one will back off a second and come back in, they fight as a pack. Something powerful enough to knock them out of the fight might work if you didn't tag yourself or your pet, a real possibility with several coyotes going after a pet you are trying to hang onto with one hand while you try to zap with the other.

Laying down a cloud of bear spray doesn't require aiming, just being able to deal with the effects of the spray.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 30/12/2013 at 11:33 AM, fruitmule said:

Hi all...we're new in this forum and I sure hope I'm posting in the right place......We rescued a badly abused puppy when travelling in Baja Califonia and he's now 2 1/2....he turned out to be full breed Belgian Malinoix. He's so beautiful and we love him to death......He's used to running free without a leash and most of the parks we visited in the past 6 months had a leash law....Although he's a very weill tempered loving dog, he sneaks out every chance he gets to go play....lol.....Well our kids came up with this temporary id tag.....each time you're in a different area or park, you just write your location, site number and any pertinent info and just insert it in the travel tag....Awesome....We now have a peace of mind!

They'll be at the quartzite rv show this coming Jan....Go see them, you'll love it.....

A tag doesn't take the place of a leash, it only leaves other people responsible for your dog! You missed an important life lesson teachable moment there for your kids I think. 

Archived