Parks with leash rules

KenworthT600B

Kenworth, no dog deserves to be in doggie jail all the time. I always look for BLM land or huge vacant parking lots or other areas that our dog can off leash every day to chase sticks and run his energy off. Easier for me with an 18 pounder. Maybe not so easy for you with a much bigger dog. Still, it does world's of good for a dog's outlook and attitude and general health if he is allowed to get out and run. Hope you find a place where yours can do it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am back to carrying my stick. A month ago, a large unleashed dog came from between the trailers and was trying to get to my Standard Schnauzer. It did get enough of a bite to pull some fur. I managed to break it off by kicking the dog in the chest pretty hard. The owner did not like me kicking his dog and I told him, fine, we can call the police about it. He dragged the dog back to his trailer. The park owner told him, next time the dog was loose, he was out of there.

The park we are at now has a small mutt that is loose and charges out snapping and snarling at us. Told the owner, of the dog and the park manager, I would put a knot on the dog next time she charged at me. I do not want to hurt an animal as it is the owners fault. The park manager knows the dog is a problem but will not kick him out of the park. Today, the mutt started after us and the owner called it back. I reminded him, that his dog belonged on a leash. I'll tell the manager again tomorrow.

It will come down to the few that do not control their dogs will make it harder on the rest of us.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

One must ask the question, why are you so often a victim? What is it about you and/or your animal that attracts attacks? Do you have a big bullseye on your back? Do you cover yourself in some offensive fragrance? Do you behave in some antagonistic way? Is the world out to get you?

For those of us who have followed this situation with "Ranger and Jin" in my opinion your response is Rude at least!!!!!

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

For those of us who have followed this situation with "Ranger and Jin" in my opinion your response is Rude at least!!!!!

Bob, Not sure you realize you are responding to a post that was made over a year ago. This thread, and a couple other old threads relating to RV'ing with pets, was apparently reactivated by a new poster who has an interest in the subject. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with doing so, but when it happens the original issue and comments may no longer be meaningful.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

TXIceman, In my experience standard schnauzers are more than capable of taking care of themselves. :)

I found this thead very interesting and remarkable with regard to the number of incidents people are reporting. My one comment, which is in no way meant to diminish the culpability of the offending animal or its owner, is that one's reaction to a loose dog can signifcantly impact the outcome. Most charges by dogs are bluffs and the dog will pull up to meet your dog and formally greet. However, a nervous or threatened reaction by the owner will impact both your own dog's reaction and the threatening animals. Your dog will reflect your own anxiety and fear. The other dog will sense the tension and fear causing the situation to escalate. Picking up your dog is generally not advised as it puts you at risk and also triggers the prey drive in the other dog. As uncomfortable as it may be, my course is to allow my dog to stand its ground while I attempt tp project an aura of calm dominance rather than fear. I have seen dog charges where the person is screaming, flailing limbs and yanking their own leashed dog well before the other dog even arrives. This type of reaction can cause panic in your dog and put the charging dog into a type of red zone where you really do have this problem. Again, I do not in any way mean to diminish the problem (I had a mini schnauzer attacked in a state park) however I am suggesting that we should be aware of how our own response influences the outcome of these situations.

Dave and Lana Hasper

My dog pulls on leash and looks mean, But every time the other owner says he want them to greet the do and all is friendly. Only one time the other owner wanted them to greet and the other dog attacked surprising us both. Not sure why and yes my dog pulling on leash I need work on training not to. She has never attacked a person but does bark at them if they enter the rv area but still all bark no bite but others don't know that. I never let her run loose except in designated dog run so for the most part all positive so I guess I have been lucky with other dogs.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Daveh,

The Dog Whisperer would be proud of you. What you suggest is exactly what he'd say. I've found that process to work. As hard as it might be to calmly stand there..... It does work more times than not. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Yesterday afternoon I stopped to talk with neighbor down the row. She had her small dog in here arms and my standard schnauzer was on her leash sitting by my side as required. A collie charged at us from next door (no leash) and was trying to get my standard schnauzer, Abby. Abby does not have a mean bone in her body and was trying to get away from the collie. I had my walking stick with me and had to whack the collie across the shoulder to get the dog to back off and the owner grab it.

I have never seen a collie be aggressive. But in any case, I do not understand why some people feel that their dog does not have to be controlled.

Personally, I'd rather take the stick to the dogs owner than the dog.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

My dog (miniature schnauzer) and I was attacked by a rott about 20 years ago one block from home.

Ken

That happened to my mini schnauzer and when the rott got her in his mouth she spread out chocking the rott to death and then crawled out..LOL

us.navy.sere.patch.16.jpg

Interesting thread and comments. We will be traveling with a yellow lab (Ruby) who has been very socialized and well behaved around other dogs and people. We are diligent in picking up after her and always walk her on leash... which are the rules in every park we've stayed that accepts pets. I don't see any issue with folks leaving a dog on leash just outside the RV porch area... most just love to lay around and watch people go by. Some however are chronic barkers which is annoying and, if you know that's your dogs personality, you should not leave them out until that behavior can be corrected.

We love dogs and have had them for 30 years of our marriage... hurts like hell when you lose them... swear our hearts can't do it again, but we're back looking for another within a couple of months. Dogs are a big responsibility and if you are not willing to spend the time training and taking care of them, you really should consider not having them. There are people who do not like dogs and, sadly, likely because of a bad experience from irresponsible dog owners. They would rather not stay in parks that allow pets, I can understand that (less we forget there are many adult, no children communities around). I fully expect that our travel options will be restricted by what parks allow pets and under what conditions... please be responsible and not part of the problem.

You don't say what you did, but if it had been me, not only would I have let the managers of the RV park know about the attack, but I would also have called the police. Then I would have insisted that the owners of the attacking dog pay for both veterinary and doctors bills, and if they didn't, they would be taken to court.

Exactly!

Interesting topic. Unleashed dogs became a issue we largely have had to deal with as part of the fulltime experience the last 7+ years. Prior to that, very rarely ever thought about it. But, FTing, and walking every day, in always different parks and areas, we have had more than our share.

I've since been bitten once, and charged more times than I can remember. Bottom line, I finally did the same thing Jack did, which is to carry spray when I go walking. I have had the occasion to use it once since I began carrying it about a year ago. I will say, it was very effective! And the best part was the dog must have remembered me and the spray. The next day, same walk, and same dog, still loose. As I approached, I thought, here we go again. But this time, the dog simply laid down on the side of the road, and watched me go by. I was a very happy camper.

2014 F350 Dually Lariat 4x4
2013 Excel LTD 36RKM
Sir Reginald the cat who lets Big Mike and Jean travel with him

I carry bear spray. If a large dog comes at me, it's going to get a faceful. Friendly or aggressive, I am not going to wait to find out.

We are currently wintering in a park that keeps dog and non-dog people separate. We have a dog. If we did not, I would prefer the non-dog area. Less worry about unruly and undisciplined dog owners.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Total newbies to the FT lifestyle, my wife and I have 2 larger dogs and a cat that is never outside. The dogs are a lab/shephard mix and a Great Pyrenees (85 and 100 lbs respectively). Both are very well behaved and non-aggressive, however, their size is intimidating to some people. I try to understand that not all people like big dogs. That's okay. Unless my wife or I invite someone into our space, we try to encourage the dogs to ignore them. They are always on leash outside (unless we are boondocking away from others, in which case they are electronically contained) and I do my best to train them to behave in a civil manner at all times.

One thing I have noticed in human behavior is the lack of acknowledgement that dogs are very similar to people in one primary aspect. Just like their "parents", dogs cannot be expected to like everyone. If I feel a person is untrustworthy, rude or obnoxious, I am not going to like that person. By the same token, if another dog is barking, growling or being aggressive toward my dogs, I can't blame them for not liking the other dogs. I can, however, do my best to insure that my pets are contained and maintained so as not to harm others or themselves. Just as I would with any child. And, like any parent with a child, I will viciously defend my babies against any and all harm.

If my dogs are not welcome somewhere, then neither am I. It's as simple as that. After all, THEY are my family and I love them.

Photographer on the go! Visit my website @ www.jmhillphoto.com or visit my blog

@ http://jmhillphoto.blogspot.com/ to see what we've been up to lately!

Guest Pensauncola

They are always on leash outside (unless we are boondocking away from others, in which case they are electronically contained) a

If my dogs are not welcome somewhere, then neither am I. It's as simple as that. After all, THEY are my family and I love them.

Since you are newbies, I'll point out to you that this will be against the rules at most every RV park and many campgrounds you stay at. Since your pets are well mannered and quiet, the rule may not be enforced. Good luck in your new adventure of full timing.

I have trained dogs all my life and have been bitten or attacked many times. It is the business. But, I have not been attacked or bitten as many times as some posting on this forum are claiming. I almost always carry a walking stick and have stopped a few dogs from threatening our dog. Most of the time it is the small dogs and the owners who think they are except from the leash law. I don't every state; but every county in Texas has a leash law and I am sure that applies to other states.

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

• 2 weeks later...

Since you are newbies, I'll point out to you that this will be against the rules at most every RV park and many campgrounds you stay at. Since your pets are well mannered and quiet, the rule may not be enforced. Good luck in your new adventure of full timing.

Let me clarify. My dogs are NEVER tied anywhere. When they are on leash, I am with them. When we are boondocking away from others in an area I feel is safe for them, they are wearing electronic collars that allow them to roam between 35 and 50 feet from the TT. I am a stickler for following ALL the rules to the point that my wife says I'm a bit anal about it.

Their tags and vaccinations are up to date and I keep all documentation in the glove box of my truck.

My apologies if I offended anyone via misunderstanding. My simple point was that if you respect my dog's space, they will respect yours.

j. Michael

Photographer on the go! Visit my website @ www.jmhillphoto.com or visit my blog

@ http://jmhillphoto.blogspot.com/ to see what we've been up to lately!

Guest Pensauncola

Let me clarify. My dogs are NEVER tied anywhere. When they are on leash, I am with them. When we are boondocking away from others in an area I feel is safe for them, they are wearing electronic collars that allow them to roam between 35 and 50 feet from the TT. I am a stickler for following ALL the rules to the point that my wife says I'm a bit anal about it.

Their tags and vaccinations are up to date and I keep all documentation in the glove box of my truck.

My apologies if I offended anyone via misunderstanding. My simple point was that if you respect my dog's space, they will respect yours.

j. Michael

It appears I misread your post. Sorry about that. You'd be surprised how many people just put their dog on a leash outside while they sit inside and watch TV or whatever. I guess that's why RV parks have that rule.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived