RVing with two cats

mrcats

We will be full timing w/2 cats in a 22' travel trailer with one slide (Shadow Cruiser 195wbs). Any suggestions for litter box, toys, some kind of scratching posts? Any ideas for creating some kind of shelf that would allow them to look out a window and be removable when traveling? Thank you.

Welcome to the forums! Pretty much whatever fits and your cats like for toys. With a slide you do have to be careful that nothing gets under it, intended as a cat toy or not, best to keep small stuff under control when the slide is in.

With the litter box you want to keep the litter out of your plumbing as it can build up over time. Other than that we went with a low-tracking litter and an anti-tracking pad outside the box, one of the ones with a roof on it so spills and smells were minimized. Folks in smaller rigs tend to use the shower for the litter box, if you do add a drain cover to keep the litter out. One of the rubber discs works quite well and is minimal hassle.

We didn't do an inside shelf for the cats since they had the back of the couch and two recliners that worked for them to see outside, they also had the dining table when nobody was watching.

Some folks make a screen box that they sit against a window so the cats can go outside but still be secure, some are really nice. Just plan on bugs at some stops and either make it bug-proof or don't set it up.

If you decide to let your cats outside keep them under control and if on a leash be wary of un-leashed dogs, if attacked the cats may climb you to get away and that is dangerous, I still have scars.

Where to carry the cats when moving has seen a lot of discussion. We let ours find their own spots to travel, under the recliners was the most popular but on the bed got some use on rougher or curvy roads. Others suggest cat carriers, either in the trailer or in the truck, our cats HATED the truck so that wasn't an option for us and while we had carriers they were happier running free. We got in a routine so that every time we stopped we opened the door and called the cats, that let them know we were stopped for a while and it was safe to eat, drink and visit the litter box.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Stanley,

Thank you for the reply, especially about toys under the slide. We will probably put the box in the shower. I think the cats will use the back of the sofa to look out of the window, so maybe that will provide enough outside viewing.

Our cats do walk on a leash. I hadn't thought about unleashed dogs. I hope the cats will get used to riding in the truck in carriers.

Thank you again for a helpful reply.

• 2 weeks later...

We have 3 cats in our 40ft 5th wheel. The litter box is under the desk area with a curtain covering the knee opening. That keeps litter dust from drifting through the house. Our cats are 5yrs to 13yrs and have never been outside but they do love looking out the windows. They use the back of the couch, the bed and the bedroom "emergency escape" window to look outside. When travelling they each find their own spots, under the couch, behind the recliners and under the covers of the bed. One of them sometimes spends the travel period lying in the litter box, which is put into the shower when travelling. After putting the slides out and starting to move around in the house, the cats come out and are as "right as rain".

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

• 4 weeks later...

I'm considering removing the cabinet door to the area under one of the dining booth seats, and using that area either to put the litter box, or as a place to put the cats bowls and a place to lay down.

I would recommend a litter called Feline Pine. It's not dusty, and since it is large pellets, the cat does not tend to carry the stuff off on its feet. I think it lasts alot longer than regular litter too.

On the shelf idea .. we have found that our boy Si loves his Sunny Seat Window Hammock. We thought we would give one a try several months ago and now all we do is pull the legs away from the bottom stick ons, which makes it lay flat, for travelling or closing our blinds at night.

Kellie & George Roberts

'94 Bluebird Wanderlodge ~ No Reservations

'08 Jeep Sahara 4x4

SKP #106686

~A ton of regret never made an ounce of difference~

Not A Moment Too Soon

And, although we live in a bigger Class A, we went with the Tidy Cat Breeze litter system. Primarily because cat urine smells worse than the poo. And with that system, you get a feel for your cat's habits & can change the pee-pad more often than the litter. Since they are pellets, a quick shake of the box & the pellets adhere to the poo, and with one scoop gone. It is not the cheapest route, but is has worked for us so far.

Kellie & George Roberts

'94 Bluebird Wanderlodge ~ No Reservations

'08 Jeep Sahara 4x4

SKP #106686

~A ton of regret never made an ounce of difference~

Not A Moment Too Soon

And, although we live in a bigger Class A, we went with the Tidy Cat Breeze litter system. Primarily because cat urine smells worse than the poo. And with that system, you get a feel for your cat's habits & can change the pee-pad more often than the litter. Since they are pellets, a quick shake of the box & the pellets adhere to the poo, and with one scoop gone. It is not the cheapest route, but is has worked for us so far.

How often do you have to change the pee pad?

• 2 months later...

We added two cats to our nomadic family four months ago and it's going well. They hide behind the couch when we're moving, but are quiet (thank goodness) and emerge when the slides come out...that seems to be their signal that it's safe. In the beginning we used a plug in phernome product to reduce anxiety, this isn't needed anymore.

The litter box is under the desk in the bedroom of our 32' class A motorhome. I added a curtain and anti-tracking pad but nothing beats vacuuming each day with my Dyson Stik, very small and lightweight...works like a charm.

They have taken over the back of the couch, tables, dashboard...no need for any additional perches.

For outside time we purchased a Happy Habitat from Dr Foster & Smith online. It's good sized, totally screened in and cost about $50. It collapses easily and folds into a very compact carrying case. We just added a folding footstool from Camping World to give them some height and the female likes to take her naps there, while the male prefers laying underneath it.

We bought this after the male escaped his harness and went up a tree requiring a harrowing rescue by my husband and involved a lot of scratching and biting on both our arms as he was pretty new to the family and totally freaked out. The tent is much more secure.

Now I'm looking into getting a small pet scooter to take them (or at least her, she's braver) for walks in the park. I'm also working on leash training her, not sure if he'll come to enjoy that or not.

Having the fur-kids with us sure adds a lot of life to our travels - they make us laugh all the time at their crazy antics.

The Queen Jester, traveling with her husband, Left Brain in their RV named Seymour (See More...get it?)

Archived