PLEASE advice on traveling with cats across states..

Unamia

Hello out there!

I have 3 cats..and they are new at this rv life...one is 7 years old..the other 2 three and four. I finally have them now in my rv loose...they were contain for a while..but now they seem relax and purring. I am always fighting them at the door of the rv when I take my dog for a walk..which is 4 times a day. One of my kits is a special needs kit..meds with epilepsy..the older one also is on meds. The problem is I now have to drive across the states to the east coast....we are in Tucson , AZ now..in a motor park..and this is our 3rd week.

So now I must drive and worry about them being safe..and hoping they will again adjust when we get there..i feel bad for them..they were getting to enjoy it while we were here. Now I must start all over again...I am sure they will not like the noise and rattle of the motor home as I travel....they hated the 20 minute drive from the house we lived in for 8 yrs..to the motor park hookup.

Please if you have traveled with cats in conditions like the one I am now facing...let me know anything you can share on the subject .....I am Not looking forward to, the drive..i am sure they will feel the same.

Thank you!

Our cat is 22 years old now and at first he was not happy about moving. We just leave him in our 5er and now when the slides come in he jumps up on the bed and goes to sleep. The RV doesn't bother him at all any more. He was 7 when we first traveled with him and it took 3 or 4 trips before he would settle down. Even then he would pace and yowl for the first hour or so. However, after a few months he figured it out. Now he would rather be in the RV than the stix and bricks. We brought home our little houseboat to remodel it and he started sleeping in it in the garage. Later we took him to the lake and he is happy in it also. They will learn but it takes a little time. He still doesn't like the car but now he is to old to get very excited at anything so he just sleeps on my DW's lap. One of our other cats liked to ride on the dash of our old MH. She learned the same way. The first few trips will stir them up but then all will be OK. We have traveled with 5 different cats at different times and all learned but a couple still wanted out when ever they could. Both managed to get out a couple of times but stayed close and eventually came back in on their own. Good luck and happy travels.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

You may want to crate your cats while traveling, they may feel more secure.

Our 85 lb. 11 yr. old Golden Retriever travels with us, lays on the back seat while traveling and

seems secure while in the travel trailer in campgrounds and parks.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

We travel with three black cats, Sooty, Spooky and Psycho. We started out with them in a carrier and one time the sensed we were going to drive and headed under the bed. No way we could extricate them. Now they either go under the couch or under the bad. As soon as we stop they mosey out and life goes on. They have adjusted very quickly. Psycho is still psycho but that's just the way it is!

Don and Jude have launched out for the second time as full-timers. Thy full-timed from 1998 through 2005 and then Don came out of retirement so they could do some international travel. The have been in over 50 countries either through personal travel or missions work. They just bought a 2013 37' Winnebago Adventurer, sold their house in the Charleston, SC, area, and in May 2013 hit the road. After stops in Tennessee, Texas, and Arizona, they will spend three months as volunteers in Bryce Canyon National Park.

Our cat which made the Rainbow Bridge always road in a large dog carrier in the backseat of the PU with his food an water an blanket and a pissed off attitude seranading us for the 1st two hrs of traveling, then on our last trip for him he rode on the center council content, Guess he knew his time was about up. :blink:

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

When we had a travel trailer we tried bringing our cat up front with us in our pickup truck to no avail. We tried him in his travel cage and on a harness and he bitched and pissed and moaned at the top of his lungs without let up. We finally put him in the trailer while we drove and he seemed to prefer that a lot (and even if he didn't at least we couldn't hear him complain). When we got a motor home we were concerned about how well he'd do and to our surprise he took to it immediately. He usually sleeps on our bed or the couch or my wife's lap while we are on the road. He'll go up on the console occasionally but the overpasses freak him out for some reason and he'll get down right away if go under one. He'd much prefer to be an outdoor cat so we have to watch for him when we go in and out of the motor home but that really isn't any different than when we had a house. We've been full-timers for about two years now and he's adapted much better than we ever expected.

Richard, Susan and our bipolar Siamese, Mister Meowto.

2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40' DP with a Ford Transit Connect toad.

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Along with making sure they don't sneak out the door when you open it, definitely make sure you know where they are when opening and closing the slideouts..have heard horror stories. I would expect that the more you more around the more they'll enjoy it. Give them time. Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 4 weeks later...

we bought a trailer with a bunk house in the rear with a door on it and that is where our cats travel. I don't know if they meow a lot, but when we stop and look in the windows we see them laying in a corner or in their carrier together and when we open the door it's like they we are at home they just want to snuggle up to us

Archived