ATV use when and where?

dawgdawg69

For people that full time how often do you get to use your ATV? And where do you go that you can use it? As you move North and south are there places that can find like minded people that share your love for ATV use? Also how do you carry your ATV from one place to the other?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winters are spent in AZ desert and Summers in N CA campground managing with lots of hills and trails surrounding me... We have a crazy wheel trailer behind the 5th for the quad. Motorcycle rides on the receiver hitch between the pickup and 5th

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Thanks Jim I am trying to plan out what to take. I know I need to take the motorcycle that I ride a lot but am I going to carry a 800# ATV just to use it two to three months a year?

Those 2-3 months are important. A boys gotta have his toys !!! It boils down to what you can afford to take and is it worth it. I just recently bought the quad so had to make room to haul it. and going gold prospecting justifies to me theat I need it :)

Jim Spence

Big O what do you RV in? I'm in a fifth wheel and we have been double towing with the RZR on its own trailer. I'm not crazy about this setup as I can't back up very far befor the little trailer starts to jackknife. I plan on building a swivel wheel trailer with the RZR on sideways...at least then I can back up. I want to be able also to pull the swivel wheel behind the dually if needed.

I have found that some states allow the RZR to be driven on the streets. Montana, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, for sure. I'm not so sure about others. In Alberta we are required to have ins and registration so that covers us in the US as well.

Our best times this winter down in the US were when we were exploring the back country of the desert. We made it to Moab and San Rafael Swell in Utah and rode quite a bit in Arizona. We want to explore more in Nevada next winter.

It was a problem finding people to ride with but we did manage some trips with others. the rest of the time we rode alone but invariably we ran into others on the trails.

Bring your quad you won't regret it.

Also I would like to extend an invitation to anyone reading this to come to Southern Alberta for some of the best ATV trails ever in the Rocky Mountains. I will be more than happy to guide.

Jim ...did you build your crazy wheel or buy it?

Cheers.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I bought it through cruiserlift.com I think is the website its rated at 1000# and the dual wheel one is rated at 1200# I also put the reciever tubes on my dually so I can tow with it if I want...seems strange going around a turn and not seeing a trailer following you. It uses a torsion bushing for the shock absorbing and has a rotor with a brake pad with slight tension on it to keep it from getting the shopping cart wobble

SD lets you ride on the road also must haves horn /lights/ mirrors/ light on license plate

Jim Spence

I am still in S&B till spring of 2014 but have a lot to plan for. My plan is to start with a 25'to27'TT Arctic fox and pull it with a 1ton diesel. I'm hoping I can put bike and ATV sideways on flat bed behind cab.

I want to get into some of the out of the way places. Thank you for the invite hope we cross paths some day. I love exploring old ghost towns and mines and think the ATV would be the best way to do it.

JimAlberta your invitation sounds like fun. When you get into this desert dust keep a close eye on your air filter. It doesn't take long to dust a

n engine. This stuff is finern frog hair. I see where a couple Razrs have extended their air intake tubes up to the top of the roll cage. I enjoy riding with others as long as its nor seeing how fast you can get there I like to enjoy the scenery w/o eating lots of dust. And if the leader is driving a Razr then the odds are going to be that he will lead where it gets iffy whether my Sportsman should follow being as we are a tad bit more top heavy.

Back to air cleaner remember the turbo pre-cleaners that we got for tractors ? I think they would work fantastic on a quad

Jim Spence

This desert has more trails then you could cover in a lifetime Take a phone that can text cuz lots of times a phone wont work and take along enough water that your life might depend on it.. I would not venture to far w/o my GPS

Jim Spence

Yes Jim you are right on the weight. I'm sticking with my old Dodge(02 diesel) for one more year. Then will find the trailer and get that weight set add weight of bike Atv and bed (plus junk) to see if 1ton will do the job. This will all be done when house is sold.

I'm contemplating making a switch from a fifth wheel to a class A motorhome pulling a car hauler trailer with both a jeep on it and the RZR. I want all my toys with me.LOL. The trailer has to be light enough so that the jeep can pull it with the RZR on.

The only other option I can come up with is to pull a light flatbed 4x4 pickup with the RZR on the back behind a motorhome.

I have off roaded for many years. I started out with a dirt bike and gradually switched to quads. Drove quads for a number of years and then about 2 years ago switched to the RZR. My wife loves the RZR and I must say that the RZR is a lot more stable than any of my quads ever were.

After using the dually to go places where the RZR is not legal to go I have realized that the dually is not a good off road vehicle. Hence my desire to take a jeep. one example of that is Moab area where jeeps are allowed on the trails in the state and national parks but no ATVs.

This is a good thread...I've been wondering where all the ATVers were.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

I thought of a class a and trailer for bike and car but if you was to go some where for a night or two you would have to un load car off trailer, drop trailer ... all before you can back into site.

I don't think you would have any trouble pulling trailer with jeep(not at 70) just to get to trail head or such.

Will a RZR fit into the back of a pickup? Like you said a flat bed would work.

My first ATV was a "73" gremlin(I'm a Mainer) but now run a Sportsman 700.Till the last year or two you could not get on trails here with anything wider than about 55"(width of gates) on marked trails.. Now I see them going through town. I even saw a cop running speed trap with one.BS

I first did a search on ATV on here and got no leads but I know I have seen one or two post about ATV's. Would be nice if more people was into this on this site. I don't know if it is an age thing or not.(I am 40).

Take care and happy trails Scott

I don't think it is an age thing as I am 63 and ride all the time at home with my friend who is 73. We run into riders all the time in the desert who are my age and older.

also when we are at RV parks we see older atv riders quite a bit.

I am just wondering if this forum is primarily for full timers who for one reason or another don't bother with ATVs....I dunno , it's puzzling.

Well I'm 66 and love riding. Find an RV park that is four wheeler friendly.. This park is not so will not be back here again.. We can ride on the way out or coming back in PERIOD. No stopping to visit with person down the road or going around a block..Sheesh But golf carts are ok. Go figure !!!

Spending our Winters in AZ I have never found a shortage of quads wanting to go out riding

Jim Spence

I'm pulling a Z71 extended cab Silverado with a RZR 570 in the back with my motorhome. The 50" wide RZRs will fit but the 4 door trucks have a shorter bed and the RZR rear wheels are right on the edge of the tailgate. With the extended cab the RZR wheels are in the middle of the tailgate. I use this to support the tailgate: http://dgmtailgatesupport.com/

Or you could use a long bed truck.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

I cured my ATV need by buying an army Bombardier Iltis. It will go most places that an ATV will and some that they wont. Licensed for the road and tow four down. I'm at "The Ranch" in NM right now and would love to have someone show me some trails. Don't want to just head out across the desert without knowing what I'm doing.

Check out the video. It is a government roadway in New Brunswick. Nice road till the beavers took over.

Jim- Might take you up on that. I'm supposed to be back in Ab the 15th of April. Have a small biz in Bonnyville.

Keep 'er greasy side down! -Steve

1998 Newmar Kountry Star

Toad- 1985 Bombardier Iltis

I don't think it is an age thing as I am 63 and ride all the time at home with my friend who is 73. We run into riders all the time in the desert who are my age and older.

also when we are at RV parks we see older atv riders quite a bit.

I am just wondering if this forum is primarily for full timers who for one reason or another don't bother with ATVs....I dunno , it's puzzling.

Well Jim it is a big toy to make room for when your going full time.

Well I'm 66 and love riding. Find an RV park that is four wheeler friendly.. This park is not so will not be back here again.. We can ride on the way out or coming back in PERIOD. No stopping to visit with person down the road or going around a block..Sheesh But golf carts are ok. Go figure !!!

Spending our Winters in AZ I have never found a shortage of quads wanting to go out riding

Jim I think ATV got a bad name from some people going off trail and messing up other peoples land. I would love to find groups that travel around to different places to ride with.

I cured my ATV need by buying an army Bombardier Iltis. It will go most places that an ATV will and some that they wont. Licensed for the road and tow four down. I'm at "The Ranch" in NM right now and would love to have someone show me some trails. Don't want to just head out across the desert without knowing what I'm doing.

Check out the video. It is a government roadway in New Brunswick. Nice road till the beavers took over.

Jim- Might take you up on that. I'm supposed to be back in Ab the 15th of April. Have a small biz in Bonnyville.

Keep 'er greasy side down! -Steve

Looks cool but a little to big for me to tow around.

Steve, how much does this vehicle weigh and can it keep up to traffic on freeways?

Ya I've been looking at the specs. Seems like a very nice compromise between an atv and a jeep. Does it have a heater in it? also can you get hard cab for it?

Ya Jim it does have a heater. I don't believe there are factory hardtops, but wouldn't be hard to fashion one. My target is a climate where I don't need the canvas! :rolleyes:

1998 Newmar Kountry Star

Toad- 1985 Bombardier Iltis

If I were to do it all over again it would be a motorhome with a flatbed trailer behind it Quad loaded sideways across the front then motorcycle and last a small car.. Enclosed trailers are about as worthless for RVing as they can get, For hauling toys anyway. Would make a nice work area..though (sorta )

Jim Spence

Archived