The Class-less Class

Sandie & Jim

13 hours ago, Roger & Lynn said:

Ouch, you guys. We certainly feel your pain. Did you need a tow? And then it's where to get service and a motel that allows pets if you can't stay in the rig.
I think that the happiest period in my life was the first two years of full timing in the ol" Airstream (Red Rooster). Trying to get back there but, I've gotta get the Beave repaired and sold first. We'll meet you guys down the road somewhere...I hope!

R

Yes we needed a tow but we had coach net and it only took 8 hours to go 15 miles.  Coachnet provided the tow companies the wrong info on my RV and the closest company to have the equipment to tow was over 200 miles away. At 400 dollars an hour and 1600 as their estimate.  This was kinda pricey.  I called one of the local  tow companies and explained what my RV was and they said they could do the tow.  He towed us to a repair shop in  Sonora, Ca that got us going after 6 days but we could stay in the RV at his location. We did a lot of sight seeing in the area to include checking out where the Calaverrus frog jumping contest is held. 

http://www.toadswildadventures.blogspot.com/

Just travelin' down life's highway-toot-toot!

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, rmcf308 said:

Yes we needed a tow but we had coach net and it only took 8 hours to go 15 miles.  Coachnet provided the tow companies the wrong info on my RV and the closest company to have the equipment to tow was over 200 miles away. At 400 dollars an hour and 1600 as their estimate.  This was kinda pricey.  I called one of the local  tow companies and explained what my RV was and they said they could do the tow.  He towed us to a repair shop in  Sonora, Ca that got us going after 6 days but we could stay in the RV at his location. We did a lot of sight seeing in the area to include checking out where the Calaverrus frog jumping contest is held. 

That sounds similar to our recent Coachnet experience. The first tow truck was too small. When the second one did arrive, it took six hours to go 17 miles. The Beave is such a low rider that climbing under to disconnect the drive shaft can be a real challenge. There was some real "colorful language" emitted from under there!
The Cat shop replaced the alternator yesterday and I was told that the test drive went well. Of course, the other issues remain and I will have to find an RV repair place that can handle them. However, when I went to pick it up and started it, the Alladin system was showing that my house batteries were drawing 22 amps and I quickly shut it down. Tried to restart it and no joy. Perhaps, they were low and drawing too big a load for the new alternator to handle. It may or may not be fried...haven't heard back from the shop yet.
As a warning to you boon dockers. From what I've lately read... Run your generator for 30 to 60 minutes BEFORE starting the coach engine.  Let the generator and inverter charge up at least the coach batteries before starting the coach's engine.

R

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Class of 2012 & "Class-less"!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain (Innocents Abroad)

Roger, the ol' Beave is going kicking and a screaming. It really likes your attention ($$). LOL! I shouldn't laugh you guy have had a tough time with her. We probably would've left the road waaay before you if we had the same troubles. Hang in there buddy.

Travel safe everyone.

Jeff    :)

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

5 hours ago, Onthego said:

Roger, the ol' Beave is going kicking and a screaming. It really likes your attention ($$). LOL! I shouldn't laugh you guy have had a tough time with her. We probably would've left the road waaay before you if we had the same troubles. Hang in there buddy.

Travel safe everyone.

Jeff    :)

I hope the race car doesn't turn into your Beaver! Them toys can get expensive but fun.

37 minutes ago, rmcf308 said:

I hope the race car doesn't turn into your Beaver! Them toys can get expensive but fun.

Jerry, I think it's too late. LOL!  Race cars can be a money pit. Like most things when the fun doesn't equal or exceed the expense it's time for a change. I've had the Falcon since 1990. Was my daily driver for a few years now a street legal race car. It's part of the family.

Travel safe everyone.

Jeff   :)

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

Turns out that the alternator was bad and it got replaced last week. However, I just got back from the RV repair shop. It appears that my Magna invertor had a major failure during the engine startup and fried pretty much all of the 12v system's motherboards. HWH leveling, multiplex controller, etc. Stairs and keyless pad don't work. Not sure of the generator's status. They haven't gotten to that yet.
I guess that you could say that this repair is gonna be the "mother of all repairs" that I've faced...I hate RVs! :angry:

R

Roger & Lynn Rempe

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain (Innocents Abroad)

1 hour ago, Roger & Lynn said:

I hate RVs! :angry:

If only you'd kept the Red Rooster! We made the same mistake when we "upgraded" from our Winnebago View. It didn't have your problems but it changed our style of travel so much we stopped fulltiming.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

20 minutes ago, sandsys said:

If only you'd kept the Red Rooster! We made the same mistake when we "upgraded" from our Winnebago View. It didn't have your problems but it changed our style of travel so much we stopped fulltiming.

Linda Sand

It's gotten so bad Linda, that when I see another RV I start wretching...ha!

R

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Roger and Lynn,

We feel so bad for you.  Honestly could you have gotten any worse luck.  Are you gonna be okay money wise, if you don't mind me asking?  

:(:wacko::(

Doug and Toni Laird

2008 Gulfstream BT Cruiser 30'

2014 Nissan Versa

Our newest furfriend - Zoe - a beautiful black and white cat

Our blog - http://stixandbrix.blogspot.ca

event.png

11 minutes ago, palamine said:

Roger and Lynn,

We feel so bad for you.  Honestly could you have gotten any worse luck.  Are you gonna be okay money wise, if you don't mind me asking?  

:(:wacko::(

Well, if you see me at Walmart and I'm not shoppin"...ha! Actually, we'll be fine. Lynn can always go back to work!!

R  :P

Roger & Lynn Rempe

6 hours ago, Roger & Lynn said:

Turns out that the alternator was bad and it got replaced last week. However, I just got back from the RV repair shop. It appears that my Magna invertor had a major failure during the engine startup and fried pretty much all of the 12v system's motherboards. HWH leveling, multiplex controller, etc. Stairs and keyless pad don't work. Not sure of the generator's status. They haven't gotten to that yet.
I guess that you could say that this repair is gonna be the "mother of all repairs" that I've faced...I hate RVs! :angry:

R

I guess the Beav is pissed that you are selling it. Sorry for all the bad luck you have had. I don't know how you can keep your sanity.

Jerry and Janice

56 minutes ago, rmcf308 said:

I guess the Beav is pissed that you are selling it. Sorry for all the bad luck you have had. I don't know how you can keep your sanity.

Jerry and Janice

Cranberry juice helps! ;) Got an ol' friend that came through brain surgery today...so, this ain't nuthin like that. But, I do appreciate the good thoughts!

R

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Damn Roger, we have been RVin for about 18 years I guess and the last 10 in a motorhome and can honestly say we have not heard of anyone that has had a continuous string of bad luck with RV's like you guys have had, really sorry to hear about the latest bout. Hang in there!!   

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Nice talking to you the other day and am glad you are still mostly sane after all of this!  I did say mostly didn't I...

We made it back from our Alaska trip and If you would have been in a plane as long as we were, even a broken down bus would be an improvement.  In order to get a good price on tickets we had to go from OKC through Atlanta, to get to Anchorage!!  And the planes keep getting smaller (or I'm getting bigger)!!  I just have a hard time getting shoe horned into a small space for such a long time.  Kind of like an MRI I guess.  We did have a nice time in Homer Alaska at Carol's brothers new place, and brought back a cooler full of halibut to show for it.  He has a nice 26' fishing boat with an enclosed cabin so it was a lot of fun.  I had the weak arm, but still managed to get a nice 30#er in the boat, without tearing anything up.  Now if we were just in Q this weekend we could have a Halibut night!!  Now all I have to do is get through dental implant surgery and eye surgery this week and I can rest for a while.  I was a nice break in the weather going from 100 degrees in OKC to low 60's in Homer, and seeing Carol's brother and his wife in their new digs.  It is about a 5 hour drive from Anchorage to Homer and it is a pretty one.  I'm glad we took all the pictures on the way down, because on the way back it was raining and we couldn't see anything. 

All this typing has made me tired so I must take a Steve. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42 QRP
"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
Roadmaster Sterling tow bar
08 Dodge Dakota toad
Sea Eagle 10.6sr Inflatable

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

13 hours ago, steved44 said:

Nice talking to you the other day and am glad you are still mostly sane after all of this!  I did say mostly didn't I...

We made it back from our Alaska trip and If you would have been in a plane as long as we were, even a broken down bus would be an improvement.  In order to get a good price on tickets we had to go from OKC through Atlanta, to get to Anchorage!!  And the planes keep getting smaller (or I'm getting bigger)!!  I just have a hard time getting shoe horned into a small space for such a long time.  Kind of like an MRI I guess.  We did have a nice time in Homer Alaska at Carol's brothers new place, and brought back a cooler full of halibut to show for it.  He has a nice 26' fishing boat with an enclosed cabin so it was a lot of fun.  I had the weak arm, but still managed to get a nice 30#er in the boat, without tearing anything up.  Now if we were just in Q this weekend we could have a Halibut night!!  Now all I have to do is get through dental implant surgery and eye surgery this week and I can rest for a while.  I was a nice break in the weather going from 100 degrees in OKC to low 60's in Homer, and seeing Carol's brother and his wife in their new digs.  It is about a 5 hour drive from Anchorage to Homer and it is a pretty one.  I'm glad we took all the pictures on the way down, because on the way back it was raining and we couldn't see anything. 

All this typing has made me tired so I must take a Steve. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It was good talking to you and Carol too, Steve. However, I don't think that I've ever been accused of being "mostly sane"...ha! Good luck on your surgeries...I may have to start referring to you as "Frankensteve"!!

R

Roger & Lynn Rempe

We are really slowing down with the RV. After 2 weeks in a COE park we are in a "Resort" now until Oct. 1. Will move to our winter park then. It's about 40 miles from here along the Guadalupe River. We are just south of Jonson City, TX.

The clearing of the land for the house build should start in a month and hopefully it will be complete by April.

Looks like we will get our first taste of a tropical storm this weekend. Predicting a lot of rain.

Travel safe everyone.

Jeff

Edited by Onthego

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

18 minutes ago, Onthego said:

We are really slowing down with the RV. After 2 weeks in a COE park we are in a "Resort" now until Oct. 1. Will move to our winter park then. It's about 40 miles from here along the Guadalupe River. We are just south of Jonson City, TX.

The clearing of the land for the house build should start in a month and hopefully it will be complete by April.

Looks like we will get our first taste of a tropical storm this weekend. Predicting a lot of rain.

Travel safe everyone.

Jeff

Ah, that crazy Gulf weather... Stay high and dry my friends!

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Good old motorhomes, always ready to try you for some reason.  We are currently camped at a fairgrounds, and the annual fair is coming up.  Well, we were in a section that you can't be in when the fair rolls around, so we had to move.  As we were moving the bus, I had the dash air turned on to make sure everything is working ok, well it was 99 degrees too.  When I was backing into the new spot, all of a sudden I realized the dash air quit.  Hmmm, must be a blown fuse.  I tried it a few more times while settling the motor home and figured I'd wait a couple of days and then find out where the fuse was and replace it.  Today was the day to look for the fuse and I just turned on the system to see if anything had changed.  Of course it worked fine!!  I ran it for the better part of an hour and it was still working fine when I gave up and shut it off.  Was I dreaming the other day when nothing would work??  Well, we are getting ready to head for Colorado in a couple of weeks, so that will make or break the system for sure.  Just another adventure!!

"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
08 Dodge Dakota toad

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

4 hours ago, steved44 said:

Good old motorhomes, always ready to try you for some reason.  We are currently camped at a fairgrounds, and the annual fair is coming up.  Well, we were in a section that you can't be in when the fair rolls around, so we had to move.  As we were moving the bus, I had the dash air turned on to make sure everything is working ok, well it was 99 degrees too.  When I was backing into the new spot, all of a sudden I realized the dash air quit.  Hmmm, must be a blown fuse.  I tried it a few more times while settling the motor home and figured I'd wait a couple of days and then find out where the fuse was and replace it.  Today was the day to look for the fuse and I just turned on the system to see if anything had changed.  Of course it worked fine!!  I ran it for the better part of an hour and it was still working fine when I gave up and shut it off.  Was I dreaming the other day when nothing would work??  Well, we are getting ready to head for Colorado in a couple of weeks, so that will make or break the system for sure.  Just another adventure!!

Those dang gremlins!!! We were moving from Petoskey Michigan to Empire a week ago and a (what must have been a really fat) gremlin ran across the floor and cracked a floor tile. We have a few more weeks here in Michigan but I guess our route down south has changed and because of the cracked tile (we have heated floors and I don't want to take a chance changing it out) and a few things that we need taken care of under warranty (We gave Tiffin a list within our first year so they will honor those things under the 1st year warranty) we will head south to Red Bay before sliding over to Arizona.

In the mean time we have REALLY been loving Michigan.

Travel safe everyone.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

9 hours ago, steved44 said:

Just a guess Steve but, do ya suppose it could have something to do with your "flux capacitor"? 

Roger & Lynn Rempe

When things work then don't work then work again you know it will happen again because they don't heal themselves. They usually quit at the most inappropriate time.

Steve - Don't forget your snow tires or chains going to Colorado. Might want a snow shovel too. I saw snow every month of the year while I lived in the Denver area except July.

We are getting rain right now and have flash flood warnings until the Aug. 27.

Travel safe everyone.

Jeff     :)

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

Dave, glad you got the extra time on the warranty, it may really come in handy. I guess Red Bay is on the way to Arizona.......... So you've been over feeding your gremlins?  Naughty boy, we don't want to let those things get out of hand! 

Jeff, snow tires, chains, snow shovel and I suppose an ice scraper too??  Waaaay too much stuff, the first flake that touches the bus will auto start the engine and head us south!:lol:

Roger, I do have a dilithium crystal polisher somewhere in the bus and that's probably what the flux capacitor needs to get it back in top shape.  Now all I have to do is find it.  Hmmmmmm

"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
08 Dodge Dakota toad

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

Tina & Jeff, you've really outdone your rain makin' talents this time. Hope that you are both okay and hanging in there. Let us know when you can on how it's going down there in Texas. Good thing they hadn't broken ground on your house. It would be a swimming pool of mud and water by the sounds of it!

R

Roger & Lynn Rempe