Jump to content


Validated Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About David-and-Cheryl

  • Rank
    Full Member

Optional Fields

  • SKP#
  • Lifetime Member

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Nationwide (full time)

Recent Profile Visitors

1,771 profile views
  1. Poor choice of words on my part. I meant the recommended pressure on the door jamb. My conjecture was that examiners are used to looking at that for cars, and in the absence of it for RVs (I don't know about motorhomes, but most trailers don't have one), they would look at the tire's max pressure rating, which is often higher. Regardless, it's surprising to me that the CDL test requires inflation to the maximum pressure on the tire, assuming that's true. I would think that most large commercial vehicles would use the tire manufacturer's load/inflation tables (like you were), rather than just inflating to the maximum on the tire--and that examiners would be aware of that fact. But wonders never cease, especially when it comes to governmental agencies.
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience. That's the first time I've ever heard of an examiner checking tire pressures. Very interesting. I guess s/he thought the tire in question looked underinflated? Just curious, what pressure were you running the tires at?
  3. I'd have to agree with that. I've never heard of a DPS examiner checking tire pressures. Perhaps the examiner thought the tire looked under inflated and therefore had a safety concern, which is why s/he asked the OP to check the pressure. And their experience is probably limited to automobiles, on which you usually inflate to the placarded maximum pressure. But Blues is right--RVs are different, and you would hope the examiners giving Class A and B tests are aware of this fact.
  4. According to this article, which I found in a quick Google search, as long as your out-of-state CDL has not expired, you can transfer it to Texas without re-taking either the skills or driving test. So you'd end up with a Texas Class A CDL, which would allow you to drive a Class A RV for non-commercial purposes even if you don't maintain your CDL medical certification. (I have no reason to doubt the article's accuracy, but I'd still suggest verifying it with a Texas DPS office.) Note that a license "transfer" is different from "reciprocity" (which refers to honoring an out-of-state license for vehicle operations in the state), but the concept is similar. If your out-of-state CDL has expired, then it's like starting from scratch, and you DO have to take the tests in Texas. But I suspect that's true for all out-of-state license transfers, not just CDLs. David
  5. Yeah, I'd definitely have that conversation with someone at the DPS office where you're going to take the test before renting the trailer. Let us know what happens.
  6. Wow. So I guess if you borrow someone else's RV, they're unlikely to ask, but if you rent or borrow something that looks like a commercial vehicle, it's a no-go. Good to know.
  7. Just guessing here, but I think the answer is yes. Your certification on the CDL-2 applies to the purpose for which you'll be using your Class A license, not specifically to the vehicle you're using for the test. You're just taking the test in a vehicle different from what you'll ultimately be driving. You may have to explain this to your examiner, though. Not sure which "list" you're referring to. If you mean the list on the CDL-2, it doesn't matter--as noted above, that certification applies to how you'll ultimately be using your license. You should check the RV box. By the way...does your tow vehicle have a GVWR of at least 12,000 lbs? It would need to in order to qualify as a Class A vehicle in combination with that dump trailer. If it's under that, then the combination is a Class C, and in that case I don't know that they'd let you take the test in it. If it were me, I wouldn't bother renting the trailer and taking the test before you get your RV. When you come back to Texas with your new RV, plan to take the test shortly thereafter in the rig you'll actually be driving. In the extremely unlikely event that you get stopped before then, you could explain that it's a new-to-you RV purchased out of state and that you're aware of the licensing requirements, but couldn't take the test until you had the RV. It's simpler and more in the spirit of the law, if not the letter. My guess is that a law enforcement officer would just be happy to know that you're aware of the requirement, which most RVers are not, and intend to comply with it as soon as is reasonably possible. David
  8. I don't know for sure with the Class B. As of last spring, all Class A applicants are required to take the Texas CDL Combinations Test, which covers the material found in Section 6 of the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicles Drivers Handbook. It would make sense that this would not be required for Class B applicants, since most Class B vehicles are so classified because of the weight of the powered vehicle (the motorhome itself), and not because they're towing anything. But "make sense" and "Texas DPS" don't always belong in the same sentence. I'd suggest being prepared for the Combinations Test just in case. It's not that much more work to study for it. Please let us know whether you do or do not have to take the Combinations Test so I can update the information for others. Thanks and good luck. David
  9. Shaun, I'm glad you found the post and thread helpful. I can't shed any light on the testing at that location. But really, don't stress over the driving skills test. The maneuvers are basically like the regular Class C test, except that you're taking it in your rig. Drive carefully and don't hit anything, and you should be fine. Good luck. David
  10. The chart in the original post is probably easier to parse, since it does not include the CDL-specific limitations. Also, it's directly from the Texas regulations, although at a glance it looks like Oklahoma's is similar. Here's the chart again for reference. Find the GVWR of your tow vehicle or motorhome in the first column, the GVWR of your trailer or toad in the second column, and the combined GVWR in the third column. The last column shows the license class you need.
  11. You are correct. You can drive the rig you described with just a normal Class C license. It would fall into the third line of the chart in the original post: tow vehicle <= 26k, towed vehicle (trailer) > 10k, and combined <= 26k. David
  12. I think you're the first Class B applicant to report since the air brakes test requirement went into effect last May. I wonder if the new requirement for the air brakes test applies only to Class A applicants? Not sure why that would be, since most exempt Class As are pickups (without air brakes) towing large trailers, while most Class Bs are motorhomes, many of which have air brakes. More likely, you just got lucky with an office that forgot about the new requirement. I'd be sure to study the air brakes section of the driver's manual before going for your Class A test, although it sounds like you're familiar with those topics anyway.
  13. I was wondering about that too. It seems like it would be relatively easy for a law enforcement officer to visually identify a rig that was 10 feet over the limit. Of course then if you don't have the proper class of license, you'd have two violations.
  14. Wow Paul, I just looked at your website. That trailer is really impressive! I can't believe you can stuff a Kitfox, Jeep Wrangler and boat all in there! Just curious, what is the placarded GWVR of the trailer, and how much does it actually weigh fully loaded?
  • Create New...