Pedestal Dining Table

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 devildogmom

devildogmom

• Validated Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

:unsure: Have any of you unbolted the pedestal dining table in your rv? We have a Cougar 327RES where the factory bolted down the table centered on the window next to it. The only problem is that you have to be the size of a small child in order to sit on one side of it. We are considering unattaching the table from the floor in order to move it where we want it. Has anyone done that. I read on another site where the owner replaced his pedestal table with a table from Wal-Mart and chairs from Target. I really like the table and chairs. I just don't like where it's placed!
"The road goes on forever and the party never ends!"

#2 Dave & Kathy

Dave & Kathy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 929 posts
  • SKP#:105185

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

We have a class A motorhome with a pedestal table centered on the window too. I didn't like the location either as it was too tight to squeeze in there. I found it was bolted to the floor with 4 lag bolts. One in each foot of the legs. I got a socket on the nut of the lag bolt and removed them. Turns out that they were just screwed into the plywood sub floor and that was all. Next I turned the table 90 degrees so now we sit facing the window and there is far more room than facing front & back at the table. The only bad part is we can only use 2 chairs on the aisle side of the table, but that is all we usually sit at the table anyhow. It gives us more room and when we sell our unit I will put it back the original way. The lag bolts screwed right back into the floor at their new location with only having to drill a pilot hole. Because of the carpet, the holes in the floor are easily hidden just by rubbing the carpet with your hand. Hope this helps. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

#3 nana25k

nana25k

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3487 posts
  • SKP#:97338

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

We unbolted ours for the same reason. Ours is a rectangle and I love being able to pull it out away from the wall when we have guests or for other purposes. Since the hooks are still in the slide floor for the chairs we just hook one end of a bungie up thru the chair around the middle of the table back thru the other chair and hook on the opposite side. The table may only wobble out a few inchs when we are moving. I can turn it around the other way when we are stationary and not using it to dine at, giving me more of a desk area...We also built a credenza along the wall giving us adjustable shelves on each end. Of course this all started out with a place to permanently put the darn printer!!!

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

#4 Dave Gezymalla

Dave Gezymalla

• Validated Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

I put the printer in the under belly storage and run it wirelessly. Don't print much though. I usually print to PDF and keep it in the computer.

#5 Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 868 posts
  • SKP#:102686

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

We removed our fixed table several years ago and now have a free standing pedestal table and chairs. We simply push it up against the wall cabinet while traveling and have not had any issues. We love it w-a-y better than the previous fixed mounted table.

Paul

Paul & Marsha Weaver
Bella our cat
After 5 years Full-timing we are now Snowbirds
Home Base...... Canton, OH
2008 Carriage Cameo 35' SB3
2010 Ford F350 DRW
Blog: http://wheresweaver.blogspot.com
SKP# 102686

#6 Dave & Kathy

Dave & Kathy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 929 posts
  • SKP#:105185

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

The only thing I would like to add is that what ever you do, make sure you secure the table again for travel. Items inside the RV can become "missals" during a panic stop. Even small objects can become deadly or do a lot of damage.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

#7 devildogmom

devildogmom

• Validated Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

The only thing I would like to add is that what ever you do, make sure you secure the table again for travel. Items inside the RV can become "missals" during a panic stop. Even small objects can become deadly or do a lot of damage.

We discovered on our last trip that the tabletop is movable from side to side. After adjusting it, we have much more room for a normal sized adult on the one side. Thanks for your input Mr. Dave.:rolleyes:
"The road goes on forever and the party never ends!"