portable sat dish from camp world

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Deb and Butch

Deb and Butch

• Validated Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

i m sure this may have been asked  many times..  we  were at camping world   and were looking at the  portable dish from direct tv  like in a case,    we re going to fla for the winter months and  taking our direct tv  receiver with us,  the   man at camp world says   that  is all we needs  is this  dish, the  cabale and hardware come with it,  is any one   famillair with this?  or is it better to put on a tripod,    we ll be their for about 6 mos.    ty kindly  for your advice,  Deb

#2 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3379 posts
  • SKP#:72644

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

The antenna you are talking about is the Winegard MP1. It will work for all of the DirecTV standard definition (SD) programming and is pretty easy to point "after" you have had some practice. If you want the DirecTV HD programming you will need an open faced dish on a tripod.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#3 Deb and Butch

Deb and Butch

• Validated Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

i made it clear to him hd programing, and he said this will work, so your sayin it wont ? does it come off the case and i can put it on a tripod?
he tells me i can mount it on something and point it and it work, now what?

#4 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3379 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

There is no portable antenna that Camping World sells that will pick up the DirecTV HD programming. You must have an antenna like this:
http://www.amazon.co...rds=direcTV sl3

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#5 Deb and Butch

Deb and Butch

• Validated Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

so Bill, can u help me out here, please, if i were to order this dish, what else would i need to order with it to hook it up, i have my direct box i would bring from home.
i see they have a tripod and a signal finder, does the wire come with this, i wonder? on this dish, is it hd, i have a flat screen hd in my 5th wheel, and on the side of my rig i have an outlet that says satellite and one for cable hook up. thks Deb

#6 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3379 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

Maybe this would have been a better site to refer you to.
http://www.tv4rv.com/
That's really the setup you need. From there you can add a number of tools to help making the pointing of the antenna easier but if you just need it for one place I would just get the dish and tripod and then stand around looking helpless and confused until someone shows up and helps you point the thing!

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#7 Deb and Butch

Deb and Butch

• Validated Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

Maybe this would have been a better site to refer you to.
http://www.tv4rv.com/
That's really the setup you need. From there you can add a number of tools to help making the pointing of the antenna easier but if you just need it for one place I would just get the dish and tripod and then stand around looking helpless and confused until someone shows up and helps you point the thing!

Bill, thanks for the email and the website, we might be interested in this one, video looks good, so you thinks this one would work for us,?
thks Deb

#8 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3379 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Anyone of this configuration will work. I am not trying to promote the site, just the type of antenna required.
No dome, no single LNB antenna for DirecTV HD. You must have an SL3 or SL5 LNB with the appropriate dish. You then have to learn how to point it so that you receive all 3 of the DirecTV satellites simultaneously.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#9 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 5864 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

i made it clear to him hd programing, and he said this will work,

Shame on him...and shame on Camping World for not training their sales people better. As Bill says, there is NO dome that can receive DirecTV's HD programming.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#10 Deb and Butch

Deb and Butch

• Validated Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

Shame on him...and shame on Camping World for not training their sales people better. As Bill says, there is NO dome that can receive DirecTV's HD programming.

we have an old Dish , sattilite from a few years back from home, would that work with my direct receiver, , even if my husband changes the one peice box on the bottom of the dish?

#11 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3379 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

If you have an old DirecTV antenna with 3 perfectly round LNB's, this antenna will not pick up the DirecTV HD programming either as it was designed to receive the programming from 101, 110 and 119 (all KU band frequencies). The HD programming come from 99 and 103 and is broadcast on a KA band frequency.

even if my husband changes the one peice box on the bottom of the dish?

Sorry, I don't understand this part.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997