• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ron and Laine

Ron and Laine

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:47 AM

I am at a loss in tuning my CB antenna. I have tried tuning in Te factory one with no results. Bought a 3' one and mounted it on the side pillar between the drivers window and the windshield with no luck. Then I bought a 2' Firestick and replaced the factory one with the Firestick still no luck. Then I tried putting the Firestick on the mount I installed on the side pillar again no luck. I removed all the Dicor around Te factory base to determine if Te ground wire was there, it was. After doing all this I still have lights on the RX/TX side and get the red light warning for the antenna. When I calibrate Te CB and try tuning it, if I touch the base the antenna light goes out.

The CB is a Cobra 29LTD Classic which I bought last fall.

Yes, before anyone ask, I did have the red tip on the Firestick while doing the adjustments.

Ron
US Army retired
Leo, Shitzu/Lhasa Apso
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

#2 ccmacon

ccmacon

• All Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Are you tuning with SWR meter,and it could be coax cable

#3 RayIN

RayIN

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4094 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

I agree, a good SWR meter is necessary to match your radio to an antenna. Cable, the fine wires that make up the braid shielding are tricky to work, just one touching the center conductor wire will create a "red light condition" or high standing wave. If you are not familiar with CB installations, I suggest visiting a CB shop to have them check everything and adjust standing wave. FWIW, the standing wave adjustment on the radio is not a substitute for using a good SWR meter in-line with the antenna.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom 40JD,Spartan MM chassis, Cummins ISC 350;   GS life member

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of darkness."___Supreme Court Justice William Douglas

#4 Ron and Laine

Ron and Laine

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:40 AM

Thanks all, I have used 2 different coax cables, but I havn't tried a stand alone SWR meter.

Ron
US Army retired
Leo, Shitzu/Lhasa Apso
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

#5 Bob Cochran

Bob Cochran

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1878 posts
  • SKP#:105438

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

Sure will help. See if you can find someone that already has one hate to buy one when probably only going to use it once. The SWR on the CB is pretty much like an idiot light on the dash. you got a problem or you don't!!!! :) As i recall Firestick has a good tutorial on how to set the SWR in case you need that. ;)

Thanks all, I have used 2 different coax cables, but I havn't tried a stand alone SWR meter.

Own a 37 foot 2014 Keystone Fuzion pulling with 1998 Freightliner Century. Fortunate to retire early intending to full time but circumstances prevents this at the present time. Living in a sticks and bricks home all paid off DW has to have roots some place and this works.

#6 Phil Saran

Phil Saran

• Validated Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

If you have a CB shop in your area, it is only a few $$ to have them do the adjustment using a SWR unit.

Phil & Alberta Saran

#7 Phil Saran

Phil Saran

• Validated Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

If you have a CB shop in your area, it is only a few $$ to have them do the adjustment using a SWR unit.

Phil & Alberta Saran

#8 Snedwid

Snedwid

• Validated Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Since I don't know what I'm doing, and it involvesw cutting something off the end of the antenna, I let a CB shop at a truck stop do mine. A man has got to know his limitations.

#9 Roadwarrior

Roadwarrior

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1050 posts
  • SKP#:111625

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

some light reading
http://www.arrl.org/arrl-store
the handbook is one I used to learn electronics
the Anteana one is more than you need but does cover the 27meter range the hams use.

learn enough you can get a real radio.
Fulltiming since 1989.
No TLC's--
Accessing the internet with Wifi Evdo enabled mobile card from Verizon
Wifi SSID r0adwarrior on the road for Access to Internet, ask for Key.
Wifi SSID r0adwarrior for Access to Webpages in Bus.
http://roadwarrior.free-man.com/

#10 Revflyer

Revflyer

• Validated Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

Just how many rv'er use a CB anymore. The foul/trash talk from the truckers has gotten show bad even a sailor won't listen to them

#11 Bob Cochran

Bob Cochran

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1878 posts
  • SKP#:105438

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

To be honest I use mine if traveling with someone else to stay in touch. Other use is for traffic reports say going down highway and traffic back up because of accident maybe and have used it to make the decision to get off and go around it. Mine also has the weather service and will alert when there is one can be helpful as well. I think I used it once at J scale but most of the time they never answer. Other than that I set squelch so high someone almost needs be almost next to me before breaking through. Sometimes if bored will listen but seldom actually. My brother and OTR for well over 30 years rarely uses it either because of the foul month stuff and pretty much being useless except maybe in an emergency but with cell phones that becomes less and less of a need. <_<

Edited by Bob Cochran, 09 June 2012 - 09:34 PM.

Own a 37 foot 2014 Keystone Fuzion pulling with 1998 Freightliner Century. Fortunate to retire early intending to full time but circumstances prevents this at the present time. Living in a sticks and bricks home all paid off DW has to have roots some place and this works.

#12 Atchafalaya_man

Atchafalaya_man

• Validated Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

When traffic comes to a halt out in the boonies, listening to others can guide your decision about detours, etc. Having a radio installed for just obtaining information during such situations is a cheap addition to your traveling vehicle. Otherwise, you are deaf and dumb, and sitting there....wondering, maybe for hours.