hot spot in the oven--tile?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 bigmike

bigmike

• Validated Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

We have the standard RV Atwood 3 burner stovetop and oven. When using the oven to bake, it often will burn things like cake on the bottom due to hot spots, I guess.

Someone told my DW that they have used tile (or something) in the bottom of these ovens to stop this from happening. I don't have a clue. So if someone knows what this is about would you please share it?

What is it that we are looking for, where do we find it, and where do we put it in the oven once we have it?

Thanks for the help.

2014 F350 Dually Lariat 4x4
2013 Excel LTD 36RKM
Sir Reginald the cat who lets Big Mike and Jean travel with him

#2 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21101 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

The RV ovens tend to heat very unevenly and to change temperatures very rapidly, mostly because they are so small and of light materials. This can be greatly improved by placing something into the bottom that will hold heat to even out the temperature gradients and to make the temperatures more even across the entire over volume. There are two good ways to solve this which I have seen used very successfully. One is to get a 12", unglazed, clay tile and place it into the bottom of the over as a heat spreader and storage mass. Another way that Pam has found very workable is to us one of the baking stones such as those sold by Pampered Chef, of the right size to pretty well fill the over shelf, or at least one which is larger than the bottom of the baking pan being used so that it extends at least an inch beyond each edge.

There may be other good solutions, but all that I know of involve adding some mass to spread the heat more evenly and to stabilize the cooking temperatures.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#3 JM

JM

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2438 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

I have seen this several times over the years and there are several solutions. I Googled "ceramic tile in RV oven" and found several threads that may be of assistance: CLICK HERE

We went extreme and replaced the oven with a Fisher & Paykel dishwasher drawer and the microwave with a Whirlpool Velos Speedcook Oven. The oven grills, bakes, microwaves and steams. The dishdrawer was the same size as the oven so I just needed a cooktop. I got an Atwood and wished I went with an Amana instead as the previous oven cooktop was an Amana. But if I were to make another change in cooktops I would install a Verona stainless residential gas cooktop. (they weren't available when we did our remodel)

#4 Happy Prospector

Happy Prospector

• Validated Members
  • 177 posts
  • SKP#:98530

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

Mike, what we ended up using was one of the metal insulated cookie pans. They are light weight, flat, no edges but a slight turned up edge on one end. When baking something like a cake at the half way point, Laurie will turn the cake 180 degrees to even out the cooking. We have been baking this way for years. Laurie loves to bake, and I love to eat, so we make a good team.

Oops on edit we place the cookie pan on the metal self right above the burner, centered. The heating rack is centered vertical in the baking space. We have 3 baking positions in the oven so ours is in the middle position. We bought the pan at Walmart or some other food store. Good Luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited by Happy Prospector, 29 May 2012 - 09:44 PM.

Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
1999.5 Red F350 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler

600 watts of solar
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2008 Model Kitty named Bob

#5 jjwicklund

jjwicklund

• Validated Members
  • 407 posts
  • SKP#:105850

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

We use un-glazed quarry tile, cause the price was right, I had them in the garage.
John
2009 F350 PS CC DRW 4X4 Lariat
2004 Hitchhiker 33.5 RLTG DA LS

#6 bigmike

bigmike

• Validated Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for all the help. I don't know why I didn't think to Google the subject-I usually do. I think we'll try the tile and see what happens.

2013 Excel LTD 36RKM

#7 JBT

JBT

• Banned Users
  • 271 posts
  • SKP#:111300

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

JM, Very nice work

#8 Earl

Earl

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1442 posts
  • SKP#:104554

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

We went real cheap--had a 9x12 (I think) pan that we just placed upside down on the rack right above the burner. While not near as heavy as tiles it was handy and it seemed to do the trick.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5rds for full-timing, now sold.

2011 23rks Keystone Hideout for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

#9 Jon Bush Sr

Jon Bush Sr

• Validated Members
  • 33 posts
  • SKP#:105669

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

Had the same problem with our 4 burner/oven Atwood. Bought a flat stoneware HERE and it solved all the uneven heat issues.
Jon

92 Ultrastar

#10 Budd

Budd

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3034 posts
  • SKP#:88936

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

Yes, also had same problem. Got a cheap round pizza baking stone that just fit. Helped but did not fix the problem completely. I use an infrared hand held thermometer to keep a check on the ACTUAL temps in the oven. This showed that the accuracy of the dial was way off and needed to be recalibrated. The service manual for the ovens tells how to do this. Recalibration helped but still, certain things have to be watched to come out right.

An RV oven is not a set and forget appliance so until one gets it setup properly for their own use, it needs to be monitored while it is working. I am saving up for a combo Microwave/convection oven.... some day....

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

#11 mockturtle

mockturtle

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 711 posts
  • SKP#:108624

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

I also use the Air Bake cookie sheets both at home and on the road. Nothing ever burns on the bottom.

RVing since 1994
2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis

#12 bigmike

bigmike

• Validated Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

An RV oven is not a set and forget appliance so until one gets it setup properly for their own use, it needs to be monitored while it is working. I am saving up for a combo Microwave/convection oven.... some day....

Yes, I think you would like having the combo. Our issue is that even with that, its not unusual for the DW to have both of them in use. In fact, I suggested on the new rig perhaps we give up the regular oven for more space. That was a "no go" as she just wasn't ready to go down to one oven.

2013 Excel LTD 36RKM

#13 JM

JM

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2438 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

Yes, I think you would like having the combo. Our issue is that even with that, its not unusual for the DW to have both of them in use. In fact, I suggested on the new rig perhaps we give up the regular oven for more space. That was a "no go" as she just wasn't ready to go down to one oven.

You might want to look into a counter top oven (click here for samples) to replace the gas oven. My mom always used one to cook outside in the summer so as not to heat up the house.

Posted Image

Or replace the gas oven with a second combo oven. I went for the dishwasher instead but having two ovens when you like to cook and entertain at your rig is nice to have.