10 replies to this topic

#1 Chef Ted

Chef Ted

• All Members
  • 2 posts
  • SKP#:110815

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

Hello folks!
I am a new member of the SKP club and hope to be in the class of 2013. I am single and have narrowed my search to a used Roadtrek 190's. In searching the web, I have found basically glowing reviews, except that someone said it had low clearance. I plan on workamping in western lodges and really don't plan on any serious outback boondocking, but might do some. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ted

#2 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20283 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

First of all, a warm welcome to both the Escapee's RV Club and also to these open forums! We are very pleased that you have chosen to join us and will do all that we are able to be helpful and supportive in your ventures! Thank you for choosing our group to be part of.

The Roadtrek has an excellent reputation and I'm not sure what you mean by "low clearance?" I do wonder if you would not be more happy in a small class A or C as those can be purchased for similar prices to what the same age Roadtrek sells for. While I would hesitate to say that one is too small to live in fulltime, I have never known anyone who did so for very long. If you are sure that you really want the van conversion, then Roadtrek is probably the premier choice.You may want to also consider the vans from Pleasure Way as well as those from Sportsmobile. Another to check out is Great West.

EDIT: By the way, consider this to be your first, Escapee Hug! ( :P)

Edited by Kirk, 25 May 2012 - 06:08 PM.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#3 TCW

TCW

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2107 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

I also want to extend a welcome to Escapees and the Escapees Forum!!

If you truely believe you can live in a small space for extended periods of time, I would suggest giving truck campers consideration. There is a significant benefit to being able to leave the camper hooked up and tour or do other things. Some will provide a bed that you do not have to tear down everyday as long as you are willing to climb up into it. Of course, depending on the van conversion, you may be able to tow a car or motorcycle to provide additional transportation.

Good luck in the search of the right RV for you and welcome to Escapees and the Forum!!!

Edited by TCW, 25 May 2012 - 06:35 PM.

Chevy 2500 Duramax, Aspen Trail 2910

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

#4 Phil Saran

Phil Saran

• Validated Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

I think what "they" ment by low clearance is if your tall, then yes the inside roof may be a bit cramped for you.

Also be sure to sit down on the toilet and make sure you can close the door. I am 6 ft and 235 lbs and I do not
fit very well into those small spaces.

I had a 1985 Ford Class C MH many years back, the only person in the family who could use the shower was
my then 8 yr old daughter and I could not sit on the toilet and close the door on that unit. I do not have that
problem with a TT.

Phil & Alberta Saran

#5 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2362 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

We owned and enjoyed a 2000 Roadtrek 190 Versatile for a number of years and traveled all over the US with it. It was a well-designed vehicle with just a few quirks (like showering in the middle of the kitchen floor :D ). We had the Dodge chassis as did all the 190's that year.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#6 Smitty

Smitty

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

The Truck Camper sounds like an option worth checking into. More room, with 4x4 more boondocking areas open to you. Not needing to unhook and rehook to go somewhere. And, showers not in the kitchen. Some now have slides too....

Artic Fox, Big Foot, Northstar, Lance are all brands with different levels of models.

A review of the RV.Net Truck Camper section may be a good read for you.

I do like the 190, but the truck camper sounds like 'plusses' in a few areas.

Best of luck, have fun, and welcome to this gang of knowledge - they're a good bunch!
Smitty

(May be a second post, as the post Win 7 upgrades and McAfee ghosts are having fun with my internet surfing:)! Sorry if this is a second post.)
Be safe, have fun,
Smitty
04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

#7 Chef Ted

Chef Ted

• All Members
  • 2 posts
  • SKP#:110815

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Thank you everyone for the welcome and it seems like you folks in the SKP club are going to be a prompt fountain of knowledge! When we finally meet, Chef Ted is going to lay a memorable meal on ya! What I meant by low clearance was a forum that mentioned "low clearance" in like the chassis dragging/bumping on the ground when going over some of the rougher terrain boondocking. As I plan to work camp as a cook/chef initially until I get the hang of things, I am not worried about the small size yet. Every one seems to mention the truck trailer as an answer to the Roadtrek...ok big question: what is wrong/negative with the truck camper as compared to the Roadtrek?(ye ole vice-versa!)

#8 Phil Saran

Phil Saran

• Validated Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

Chef,

Nothing is wrong with a truck/camper vs Roadtek, depending on what your price range is, if used is OK then
a used 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 diesel truck is say.....$20,000 and a 8 to 10 ft cab over camper can be as cheap as
$2 to 5K up to a new one at $40,000. You can also find a used combo turck/campers for sale pretty resonable
if you do a little searching.

I paid a little less than $30,000 for my 2004 Ford F350 diesel 4x4 long bed 4 dr used in Jan 2006 with 60,000
miles on it and used it to tow my previous 25 ft TT, then a 10 ft cab over camper and finally we recently bought
a near new TT.

Also please note that if you go with a cab over camper besides the truck you will need the tie down system and
probably air bags and adjustable shocks all around (figure about $1500 if purchased new, about 1/2 price if you
can find what you need used).

Now the Roadtek, I have no idea what used one's sell for, the new one's I've seen at least here in SOCAL seemed
to be priced at or above $100 K if memory serves me.

Phil & Alberta Saran

#9 TCW

TCW

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2107 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Ted,

Comparing a truck/camper to the Roadtrek; the major differences that come to mind are matching the camper to the truck/equipment so that the resulting rig is not too top heavy, total height of the rig if the camper is not one of the popup top versions and the fact that you have to climb up into the overcab bed although most have a dinette that converts into a bed like in the vans. The truck camper will have a removal propane tank like the ones on a BBQ grill not sure whether the road trek is built in or not. The roadtrek has an option for a built in generator, not sure whether any truck campers do or not. You can get a 4x4 roadtrek with a locking rear but not sure how much that does for the ground clearance. Doesn't look like the 190 gives you a choice of gas versus diesel.

Have fun searching for the right RV for you!!

Edited by TCW, 28 May 2012 - 02:20 PM.

Chevy 2500 Duramax, Aspen Trail 2910

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

#10 Great Horned Owl

Great Horned Owl

• Validated Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

My wife and I have used a 19' class B for 18 years. It is great for weekend trips. It is tolerable for 2-3 week vacations. Now that I am retired, and we travel for six week or more at a stretch, it is entirely too small. The lack of storage space makes living in it difficult, and a couple of rainy days can result in extreme cabin fever.

I will be trading it in on the Palomino Puma 253-FBS that I just ordered.
2011 Silverado Duramax, 4x4, crew cab, long box
1994 19' Horizon Class B
2013 Palomino Puma 253-FBS, 27' 5er on order

#11 sandsys

sandsys

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 5792 posts
  • SKP#:99753

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:31 PM

Most Class B RVs have a VERY small black tank. We lived in one for 4 months and had to dump twice a week. I'm now in the process of having one built for just me for snowbirding and it will have a 20 gallon black tank!

Linda Sand
2012 Sprinter Sportsmobile
Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/