• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 VtChris

VtChris

• Validated Members
  • 88 posts
  • SKP#:101519

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

My fairly new Dometic 2410 just stopped working on electric yesterday so I switched over to propane last night and it works fine in that mode. Anyone have something that I can try before taking it to the repairman (which is quite a distance from where I am located). Thanks!
"Endless good in endless ways"

#2 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20258 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

What is the ambient temperature where you are? The typical RV refrigerator cools much better when on propane than it does on electric because it has a larger heat source. If the weather there is hot, there is a good chance that this may be the issue. If the weather is hot then you can improve the cooling on 120V by adding a fan in the back of the refrigerator, blowing up and out the top. RV refrigerators are much more sensitive to this if they are located in a slide, where the top vent must go out a side wall and not through the roof, but either location is effected.

That would be my first thought.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#3 DavidMc

DavidMc

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 973 posts
  • SKP#:90501

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

What were/are the symptoms/signs for "just stopped working on electric yesterday" ?
* code on the display like the letter "A" ?
* temperature inside well above 40*F ?
* or ???

Was the "mode" set to Electric (AC) only, or to Auto or ?? [if you have that setting option] ?

If it works on propane, then the 12-volt supply (for the control board) is probably OK, but a check of that voltage might be useful.

If you have a voltage meter or (easier) one of those proximity AC-power detectors that 'chirps' -- is there 120-volt AC present in the back of the refrigerator?
[These refrigerators are usually just "plugged in" to an outlet -- might the plug have come disconnected? ]

#4 geysergazers

geysergazers

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1627 posts
  • SKP#:100106

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

Your Fridge is a ‘manual’ version which has no electronics so it will run on Gas with no 12V or 120V being supplied to it.

I assume it is the 120VAC side that doesn’t work.
Open the outside access door and look for the 120VAC outlet the Fridge is plugged into. Test it for juice by plugging anything you have into it and seeing if it works. If there is power at the outlet you are going to need a technician as one of three parts have failed: the Heater, the Thermostat (electric thermostat is separate from the Gas one on your unit) or the selector Switch.

http://traveldolphin.blogspot.com/
Marco&Scape, a 2009 17Ft 3000Lb fully self contained CNW TT and a Turbocharged, Intercooled, Direct Injected Ford Escape TV

Growing older is so much more Fun than the only Alternative

#5 RV Tamer

RV Tamer

• Validated Members
  • 145 posts
  • SKP#:21884

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

My fairly new Dometic 2410 just stopped working on electric yesterday so I switched over to propane last night and it works fine in that mode. Anyone have something that I can try before taking it to the repairman (which is quite a distance from where I am located). Thanks!

Hello VtChris,
I looked at a service manuel online for your refrigerator which can be found at http://gasrefrigerat...chdata/2552.pdf . It looks like there can be 5 issues that would prevent your refer from working on the electrical side while the gas side is operational . These issues are located under section # 7 of this manuel.

The most common issue on the electrical side usually has to do with the heating element. Accordingly, your heating element should test out at 92 ohms + or - 10 percent. This manuel will show you how to test most componets of the refer if you are at least a little savy with the use of a multimeter. If your not , someone will respond to help you including myself.

When you find out what was the problem with your refrigerator , please respond back so that your information might be of help to others. Good luck, tim