Photo

Is there such a thing as a phone that acts as a hotspot?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 5R TUGR

5R TUGR

• Validated Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

Well, this might be a dumb question, but I don't seem to be able to find a definitive answer elsewhere?

We dropped our satellite TV and Internet because we had to quit traveling for a while. Now we're hoping to be able to head south this fall and hope to be doing a lot of boondocking. With that in mind, I've been looking into these 'hotspot' gizmos, but the thought occurred that there might be a way to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. Is there a phone, more or less a plain one (if there is such a thing), that can be used as a 'hotspot'? So that we can have a telephone but also be able to access the internet on our two laptops using the phone as a hotspot? Or is that too much to hope for.

Responses and suggestions are welcome....thanks in advance.
'03 Ford F350, CC, 7.3 PSD, 4X4. 33' Alpenlite.
I tried a lot of different jobs in my life, until I found my true vocation: "RETIREMENT!"

#2 Rif

Rif

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4625 posts
  • SKP#:84860

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Many smart phones include hotspot capability. Finding such a capability in a "plain" phone is probably out of the question. I have a Droid Bionic with the hotspot feature turned on. It provides 3G and 4G speeds with no problems. I'm on the Verizon network.

Edited by Rif, 20 May 2012 - 11:26 AM.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

#3 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3707 posts
  • SKP#:72644

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

You will need a Smart Phone and you will need a data plan to go along with it. Currently the Verizon data plan costs $30 for 4GB/month of data. If you sign up for the Hotspot option you will pay the full $50/month for 5G of data but you can use a program like FoxFi which works outside the Verizon phone and allows you to connect multiple devices to your phone at no additional charge as long as you do not exceed the 4GB monthly limit.
You might also want to search out information on Millenicom on this forum if you think you would be using more data than that or if you wanted to be on the internet and able to talk on the phone at the same time. Remember also that if the person with the phone leaves, the person left behind has no internet.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#4 Dennis M

Dennis M

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2516 posts
  • SKP#:107142

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

Nancy has a Verizon Droid clone. It can be used as a hotspot. Verizon lets us turn it on and off at will, costs $20 per month, we turn it on when we are on the road.

Her phone also has internet access without having the hotspot activated, but with the hotspot we can use our lap tops. Works pretty well, but slow at times.
Dennis & Nancy
Geneva, IL & Tucson, AZ

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2011 smart fortwo coupe riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06)
Our Travel Blog

#5 Big Greg

Big Greg

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 717 posts
  • SKP#:96353

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

Verizon is the most popular carrier but they limit data use. Sprint has unlimited data but doesn't have quite the coverage in the US, almost. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

#6 D&J

D&J

• Validated Members
  • 457 posts
  • SKP#:90175

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

We looked at a lot of different ways to go, we didn't want a smart phone so we went with a 4G Mi-Fi from Verizon. We compared it against a smart phone and after adding all the data plans and turning on the hotspot it was the same price and your phone was tied up when you where using it with the laptop. When we are at our homebase like we are now we don't have a land line so we will be using it year round. Before we used Wi-Fi at campgrounds but they are just to unreliable and when at home we had a router off our friends/neighbors DSL but that was also becoming a pain because of the poor service from the phone company. It depends on how much time you spend at home but I would look at dumping your land line and going totally cell phone for us it's a lot cheaper because we don't spend that much time here anyway and when we are here we don't spend that much time in the house so we use the cell anyway, you can also port your land line number to your cell phone so no one we know the difference.

Denny
Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Jake the Scottie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTGHome Base Nebraska

#7 JoeZ

JoeZ

• Validated Members
  • 326 posts
  • SKP#:97702

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Verizon is the most popular carrier but they limit data use. Sprint has unlimited data but doesn't have quite the coverage in the US, almost. Greg

Sprint does, indeed, offer unlimited data with their phones. When used as hot spots, however, there is a 5G limit. This change was made about 3 or 4 months ago.
Joe and Bonnie
07 Allegro Bay 35 TSB FRED
07 Honda CR-V
2 Lazy Dogs

#8 Bill Joyce

Bill Joyce

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2881 posts
  • SKP#:81846

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Sprint does, indeed, offer unlimited data with their phones. When used as hot spots, however, there is a 5G limit. This change was made about 3 or 4 months ago.

Too late, they changed it again - http://news.cnet.com...kills-5gb-plan/ :
"As of May 18, Sprint launched two hotspot add-ons, the first costs $19.99 per month for 2GB of combined 3G/4G on-network data and the second is $49.99 per month for 6GB of combined data. The 5GB $29.99 is now defunct, but users who have this plan can keep it until they cancel their service."
Newmar Dutch Star DP towing Chevy Equinox, Fulltimer since July 2003
Travels - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)
Despite the high cost of living, it still remains very popular. (stolen from Nick Russell)

#9 chiefneon

chiefneon

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 535 posts
  • SKP#:92386

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

Howdy!

I pay $29.99 a month for hot spot on my Sprint phone with unlimited data. I've been considering turning it off and turning back on when need. I'm guessing If I did that now I would be forced into one of the new Sprint data hot spot plans. If so I will just leave it alone for now and keep the hot spot with unlimited data.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"
Gary & karen
Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)
2004 4400 International 2L Custom Hauler
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000
2012 Smart Car Passion

#10 5R TUGR

5R TUGR

• Validated Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

Thanks all, for those answers.. but now here's another.... what the heck is Mifi??
'03 Ford F350, CC, 7.3 PSD, 4X4. 33' Alpenlite.
I tried a lot of different jobs in my life, until I found my true vocation: "RETIREMENT!"

#11 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2526 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

Thanks all, for those answers.. but now here's another.... what the heck is Mifi??

A MiFi is a "stand-alone" wifi hot spot that doesn't need a phone or an external router. Essentially, you can think of it as a phone acting like a hot-spot but without the ability to use it as a phone! The MiFi's have been popular because they are simple to configure and many people do not own smartphones that they can use as hotspots.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#12 JoeZ

JoeZ

• Validated Members
  • 326 posts
  • SKP#:97702

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

Howdy!

I pay $29.99 a month for hot spot on my Sprint phone with unlimited data. I've been considering turning it off and turning back on when need. I'm guessing If I did that now I would be forced into one of the new Sprint data hot spot plans. If so I will just leave it alone for now and keep the hot spot with unlimited data.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon

This is indeed true, and no matter how high you are escalated within the service or the customer retention reps, they have no leeway to change the rule to grandfather you back. If you turn it off and then want to turn it back on you fall into the same tiered system as a brand new user. We opted for a new phone with hot spot instead of a replacement air card (for one that died) to take advantage of unlimited data. We were soon limited to 5G but, hey, the service could be turned on and off for $29.95. Now we get 2G for that price - we would have been much better off with an aircard from Millecon.
Joe and Bonnie
07 Allegro Bay 35 TSB FRED
07 Honda CR-V
2 Lazy Dogs

#13 techiej

techiej

• Validated Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

The options are to 1) use a phone as a hot spot; 2) use a cell modem that plugs into (USB) your computer; 3) use a MiFi; and 4) use a cellular router - plug 1 or more cell modems into it.

If the use is occassional, then I would use the phone as a hot spot (what we do now). Otherwise I prefer the option of the cellular router as it does not tie you into a single service. When we had one we would use a modem from Sprint and one from Verizon. You can also get special plans/pricing from 3rd parties like Millenicom (they use Verizon, et al) to keep your costs under control.
2011 Airstream Classic Limited
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Follow our adventures