16 replies to this topic

#1 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1056 posts
  • SKP#:79313

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

So my RV Dish Hopper install went well a couple of weeks ago, but I've been unable to use Prime Time Any Time (PTAT) to record my local stations because they weren't coming in HD on my Winegard Travler (a Western Arc sat dish).

Called Dish & it seems that I'll have to use my Eastern Arc 1000.4 portable dish to get HD locals. Bummer.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire DP 4095 / 2009 Honda CRV / www.rvSeniorMoments.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't necessarily agree with everything that I say.

-- Marshall McLuhan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3372 posts
  • SKP#:72644

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

That makes complete sense. You are right, it's always something. You can sign up for DNS and not have to worry about these kinds of issues in the future and just crank up your Sensar (Batwing) antenna for the locals. The other advantage to the DNS service is that you will not have to reprogramming all of your recording every time you move. ABC is always the same channel with DNS but it will change and you will have to setup all new timers at each new location.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#3 mrschwarz

mrschwarz

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 707 posts
  • SKP#:109233

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

I have DNS and I tried to change locations just so the time on the DVR matched the local time. HUGE mistake! It screwed up all of my timers. I finally set it back to Texas and all is back to normal. I have a King Dome so a Hopper won't work for me.

Michael

2010 Winnebago Tour
Cummins ISL 400
Allison 3000
Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protector
Blue Ox Aventa II
Air Force One
Tire Safeguard TPMS

Visit us at schwarz.org!

#4 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4525 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

The Dish CSR you talked to didn't know what he/she were talking about. There are west coast locals in HD. It just means you haven't moved into spot beams with HD Locals on all four networks.

For example on 129W, Des Moines, Tampa, LA, Whita Falls, Richmond, Mobile, Orlando 119W: Tucson, Souix Falls 110W: Dallas, Stockton. That is just a few.

First rule when talking to Dish CSRs, immediately state your are an RV and get transferred to the higher level of support tailored for RVs. First level CSR support has no knowlege of anything RV.

Here is a link to the satellite channels. Scan for the city you are in to see if all four broadcast channels are in HD.

I changed my Service Address to Oregon to thinking if the EPG matched the LA DNS Feeds which are in HD and on the same transponder, hoping PTAT would work with DNS. It was a horror story. First the CSR switched me to Oregon Locals. That took almost a hour. Then when I realized that the DNS was gone, it took two hours to get the DNS back. I tried the PTAT with DNS for two days with no success. Switching back to Central Time was easy as I immediately stated I had an RV Account and there was to be no changes to the DNS and I just wanted the Service Address changed. That took 15 minutes.

I hope someday PTAT will work for DNS. I can live with the EPG offset to PT.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2012 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#5 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1056 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

The Dish CSR you talked to didn't know what he/she were talking about.

Nope, the Dish CSR was correct. In my location, the HD locals are on Eastern Arc sat 61.5. So in this case my Western Arc Winegard rooftop is useless.

It just means you haven't moved into spot beams with HD Locals on all four networks.

Moving to get what I want on TV is not a good option. I'll just drag out my portable 1000.4 Eastern Arc.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire DP 4095 / 2009 Honda CRV / www.rvSeniorMoments.com

-- Marshall McLuhan

#6 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4525 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

Okay, you didn't say where you were. I didn't mean to move to get the signals.

What I meant is that you weren't inside the spot beam for the Locals, and you weren't. So not only PTAT wasn't working, you weren't getting satellite Locals either.

The Spot beam for a set of Locals is only on one satellite.

That is one of the trade-offs for Locals versus DNS. You pretty much can receive the WA DNS channels across the whole country, but the NY stations are in SD and PTAT doesn't work at the moment.

If you have an EA dish then the NY DNS channels are in HD and the LA DNS channels are in SD.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#7 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1056 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

The Spot beam for a set of Locals is only on one satellite.

Since a Local (not DNS) can can be serviced by several sats -- and several spot beams, I'm glad I'm carrying both Western & Eastern Arc dishes.

-- Marshall McLuhan

#8 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4525 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

We are more of less saying the same thing. The spot beam for a given area is only on one satellite. The 250+ spot beams are spread over the 6 satellites. So if you rely on Locals and travel in the East, you need to add a EA dish to your equipment.

If I didn't have the Winegard Trav'ler, I might consider carrying a EA and a WA dish. But I am spoiled with the ease of the Trav'ler so when I have to use the ground tripod, I just as soon use the WA so I don't have to mess with timers.

Besides, the East Coast is not my favorite place to go.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#9 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1056 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

So if you rely on Locals and travel in the East, you need to add a EA dish to your equipment.

Besides, the East Coast is not my favorite place to go.

Mmmmm . . . EA is used on locals starting at the Mississippi, not just the coast itself.

-- Marshall McLuhan

#10 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4525 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Yes, and places like Orlando are on the WA (129W Transponder 5)

Dish generally looks at the EA and the Middle Atlantic, New England. You might be able to receive the EA in the West but the COUNUS coverage of the US is better from the WA.

Edited by Mark & Dale Bruss, 17 May 2012 - 04:04 PM.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#11 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1056 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

Well, I set up my 1000.4 with an Eastern Arc LNB, acquired the sats using that magnificent Accutrac III, did a Check Switch on the Hopper, restarted the Hopper, and finally my HD locals appeared. About as "flawless" as you get with Dish.

Enabled PTAT & now all the HD local shows are marked with little "PT"s. So far the Hopper isn't recording anything yet, but I figure another day. We'll see.

-- Marshall McLuhan

#12 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1056 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

So far the Hopper isn't recording anything yet, but I figure another day. We'll see.

It's recording all the HD locals now. It did take 24 hours. Pretty neat.

-- Marshall McLuhan

#13 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4525 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

I wish PTAT would work with DNS. Maybe some day.

I guess your future challenge will be how to determine which satellite arc to use when you move.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#14 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3372 posts
  • SKP#:72644

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

Locals sound like they will always be an issue if you are actually traveling if it takes 24 hours from the time you start receiving the correct channels. Maybe once you are getting some locals you will still get them when you change areas and change transponders. It will be an interesting journey.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#15 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4525 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

I wonder if PTAT needs 24 hours or sometime less. I read that you cannot change the PTAT option later that a 1/2 hour before the Prime Time Window.

I have to admit if I was using Locals and had to wait 24 hours before I could use PTAT, I would be unhappy. You can still look at the Locals but you would need regular timers and be limited to three of the for networks at one time.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#16 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4525 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

I checked with a DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team). They believe that after the initial 24 start-up of PTAT, PTAT should pickup the new Locals after moving to a new location as long as the new Locals are live and PTAT in enables 25 minutes before the Prime Time window.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#17 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1056 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

I checked with a DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team). They believe that after the initial 24 start-up of PTAT, PTAT should pickup the new Locals after moving to a new location as long as the new Locals are live and PTAT in enables 25 minutes before the Prime Time window.

This appears to work if you also change sat "arcs".

For example, in order to get my locals in HD, I switched from the Western Arc (WA) sats (110, 119, & 129) to the Eastern Arc (EA) sats (61.5, 72, & 77). After 24 hours, PTAT started working.

But I had to go back to the WA sats for a day and PTAT stopped recording as there were only SD locals on these sats.

However, the day I switched back to the EA sats for HD locals, PTAT started recording again.

-- Marshall McLuhan