Grand Forks North Dakota

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 ChiefJohn

ChiefJohn

• Validated Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

Looking for a nice RV park around the Grand Forks area -- we expect to stay 30+ days and explore the area. Thanks in advance.Posted Image
John & Marilyn
2008 Winnebago Vectra ("Mobile Abode"), 2010 Jeep Wrangler

#2 RUN2

RUN2

• Validated Members
  • 180 posts
  • SKP#:41384 Life Member

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Red River State park in E Grand Forks would be my choice for long term. Buying a MN annual State Park pass may save a feww $$. The RV park south of GF along the freeway generally gets poor reviews and Wagon Wheel RV park, although an OK park, only had 30 amp electric available a few years ago which may have changed. Larimore Dam campground is a nice park as is Turtle River State Park, but a 20 + mile drive. Turtle River park only had E/W hookups the last time we stayed there.
Life member 41384--Monaco Executive 43 DS , towing Suzuki Grand Vitara

#3 Mike

Mike

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

I agree with the East Grand Forks spot. You should be able to get details from the MN state parks web site. Get the annual pass or you pay a daily "access fee" or something like that too. It is a unique park that makes use of the city sewers from before the area was a park (and frequently flooded). So the lots are nice and large when compared with your more typical full hook up park . You are also close to restaurants and things. I used that park when my mother was in the hospital on the ND side. Riding bicycles in the town and across the bridge is no problem. And folks in that part of country are generally pleasant so boondocking or drycamping wouldn't be much of a problem either. I know the first few nights I stayed in the hospital parking lot in Grand Forks, with permission. There is a walmart in Grand Forks as well and a Cabella's that is a block or two from the state park in East Grand Forks. Since I did a search for Cabella's, here is a link to a google map

I also agree with the Turtle River and Larimore comments. Some of the small towns in the area have hookups in the parks as well. I know Northwood does. But as with the previous post, East Grand Forks is the best bet if you are needing to be in Grand Forks itself.

(side note, they make you put the annual pass sticker on your windshield since it is a "specific vehicle" thing. I used some butter on the window before I put it on and it came off very easily when I knew I was out of the area.)

Edited by Mike, 06 May 2012 - 05:25 PM.

Mike
Abuelo Loco Blog
He who dies with the most toys is still dead........and may also be subject to Mark 10:25.

#4 vmarr

vmarr

• Validated Members
  • 412 posts
  • SKP#:97455

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

Chief, your retired AF, they have a nice famcamp at the AFB. We stayed there about 2 years ago I believe. If I remember right, it was 7 dollars a night if you had a golden age pass. Never saw an AFB that took anything like that before. Minots got a nice little famcamp too.
08 Fleetwood Excursion, me, ex farmer, DW, retired (RN), and Bow, Lilly, and Little Bit the mutts

#5 ChiefJohn

ChiefJohn

• Validated Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

Thanks for the replies -- we have decided on the Red River State Park in East Grand Forks. The FamCamp is also a consideration. Posted Image
John & Marilyn
2008 Winnebago Vectra ("Mobile Abode"), 2010 Jeep Wrangler

#6 bigmike

bigmike

• Validated Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for the replies -- we have decided on the Red River State Park in East Grand Forks. The FamCamp is also a consideration. Posted Image

I think you will love the Red River State Park! We stayed there last fall, and liked most everything about it. Beautiful, large sites, and within very easy walking distance to Resteraunts and entertainment if you are so inclined. As mentioned above, former residential area. Very interesting history as the entire park previously consisted of a neighborhood of residential homes. After years of repeat flooding, some very serious, they were able to convince most everyone to relocate, and they bull dozed the entire place. Turned it into a State park. Still floods nearly every spring, of course some years more than others. But they let the water receed, clean up and are good to go.

We had an interesting conversation with an old boy, I think he told us he was 84. He said he just thought it was crazy when the whole discussion was going on about relocation-he had owned a home there and was not excited about relocation. But he did it, and now believes it was one of the wisest things the government had ever done. The park is beautiful, with all of the old large trees that have been there for years. And you would never know that just slightly below the surface of the plush green grass, are blocks of old house foundations and footings that were plowed under.

Enjoy!!

2014 F350 Dually Lariat 4x4
2013 Excel LTD 36RKM
Sir Reginald the cat who lets Big Mike and Jean travel with him

#7 sandsys

sandsys

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 5791 posts
  • SKP#:99753

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

East Grand Forks is one of the few places that got federal disaster recovery money and actually used it to prevent future disasters. This park is a result of that. They made me proud to be a Minnesotan.

Linda Sand
2012 Sprinter Sportsmobile
Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/