15 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce T

Bruce T

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 758 posts
  • SKP#:54339

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

OK so we are just thinking out loud at this time. We have a 40 Country Coach that spends way toooooo much time in storage. As everyone would know that's to long not being used.

We are considering that maybe we would be better off with a small 5th wheel and small pickup. (3/4 ton). Less to maintain and less dollars to worry about deteriorating.

Our question is, to those who know 5th wheels, better than us. What is a quality 5th wheel under 30 feet? By quality I mean structural not $$$$$$ Mind you quality and $$$$$ usually go hand in hand. Is there such a thing as a 2-3 slideout unit under 30 foot that one can even consider quality? We're not concerned about bells and whistles. Just something that we can use without worrying about bringing it home in a box!! I've spent some time on the internet but that doesn't answer my question.

New would be best but good used would also be considered.

Thanks.

#2 Big Greg

Big Greg

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 658 posts
  • SKP#:96353

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

NuWa in Chanure, KS make some good smaller fifth wheels. They also refurbish all the used RVs (both NuWa and others manufacturers)they take in trade to resell. Here's a link to their inventory. They have 27.5FKTG & 29.5FKTG model HitchHikers that are 29 & 32 feet long with 3 slides. Their website has layouts and specs on their fifth wheels. There is an archive to info on their older models. There is also an active owners forum where you can get info from the owners. The forum is not sponsored by NuWa.

NuWa inventory website: http://www.nuwa.com/inventory/
Owners forum: http://nuwaowners.org/

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

#3 Earl

Earl

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1413 posts
  • SKP#:104554

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

If you want quality without bells and whistles you won't go wrong with an Arctic Fox. Do a search and I think you will pretty much find positive feedback with little or no negatives. They aren't fancy but are built on their own frames and I have never heard of any AF with any kind of structural damage. Don't know where you live but they can be hard to find unless you are in the NW as they are made in OR. With the downturn they closed their eastern plant. They have at least one, and I think a couple, floor plans under 30'.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5rds for full-timing, now sold.

2011 23rks Keystone Hideout for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

#4 Cyberdave

Cyberdave

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 764 posts
  • SKP#:105320

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

If you want quality without bells and whistles you won't go wrong with an Arctic Fox. Do a search and I think you will pretty much find positive feedback with little or no negatives. They aren't fancy but are built on their own frames and I have never heard of any AF with any kind of structural damage. Don't know where you live but they can be hard to find unless you are in the NW as they are made in OR. With the downturn they closed their eastern plant. They have at least one, and I think a couple, floor plans under 30'.

I'll second that. I have met several owners and they all love them. We toured the factory in La Grande, Oregon last summer and we were impressed with all of the quality controls at every build station.

Dave & Tish
Beagles Bagle & Snoopy
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

"I went through a door but forget what was on the other side. I would go through it again but I forgot which door it is."

#5 RLAWyo

RLAWyo

• Validated Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:47 AM

Arctic Fox!:D
Arctic Fox 24-5n
Dodge 2500 quad cab
6.7cummins

#6 coyote

coyote

• Validated Members
  • 168 posts
  • SKP#:8818

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

Arctic Fox has a few models under 30ft with 2 slides. Also they recently came out with a new model, the Snow River that is similar to the original Arctic Fox build with wood frame construction but they only have one super slide in the living room. The Snow River has two different 5th wheel models and gross at 10K. The new Arctic Fox has aluminum framing. I have owned Arctic Fox and have been pleased with them.

#7 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20281 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

If I were to shop for what you are considering, the very first stop that I would make is in Junction City, KS at the factory of New Horizons RV. Several years ago I toured their plant and was very impressed, particularly with the structural integrity of the units that they build. They are not cheap and they are heavy, but I doubt very much that you will find any better built RV of any make or type. If they had built a motorhome I would have bought there. Checking their floor-plans, I do see a 29' and on up.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#8 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 5864 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

...New Horizons RV. ...Checking their floor-plans, I do see a 29' and on up.

The thing about New Horizons is that you design your own, so it can be any size you want. The floor plans are just *suggestions* based on previous rigs they've built.

You'd need to check the specs very carefully, though, since even a small New Horizons might be too much for a 3/4-ton truck.

However, I agree with many of the others who say to check into Arctic Fox and their other lines. I'd also check into the lines made by Outdoors RV Manufacturing (www.outdoorsrvmfg.com) since it's owned by Ron Nash, the same person who owns Northwood Manufacturing, the makers of Arctic Fox.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#9 Bruce T

Bruce T

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

Thanks folks. Money is not a great concern! Yes it is I hate spending money. But the reason for our thinking is based more on the fact that our Country Coach sits for a long time and then we go through all the issues with getting complicated systems all back up and running each time we pull it out of storage. I stress way toooo much about it all.
A small 5th wheel should be less complicated and allow us to get into those national parks and state parks better.

As with all 5th wheels our main concern is driving a large tow vehicle everywhere. We like back roads and bush tracks. I also like 35mpg!

Thanks.

#10 Phil Saran

Phil Saran

• Validated Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

<As with all 5th wheels our main concern is driving a large tow vehicle everywhere. We like back roads and bush tracks. I also like 35mpg!>

Be very careful of the trailer weights if you are serious about a 3/4 ton truck and a 27, 28, 29 foot 5th wheel trailer.

If you want to travel back roads and bush tracks you might want to look at Cab over campers on a pick up truck.

As for 35 MPG, we all would like that, but most of us are not willing to go camping in a VW bus or a tear drop trailer..

Phil & Alberta Saran

#11 DavidMc

DavidMc

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 973 posts
  • SKP#:90501

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Bruce, Does it really have to be a fifth-wheel ?

It sounds like you are someone who uses it for short and occasional trips -- not seasonal or full-time (the latter considered justification for 5-th wheels by some folks).
If you want "to get into those national parks and state parks better" -- think smaller, perhaps with fewer or even no slides.

My self (and there is only one of me) -- I live full-time in a Arctic Fox 27E travel-trailer; the 3/4 ton pickup has a shell for keeping "stuff".

#12 Sigzy

Sigzy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1147 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

I would include SunnyBrook also.My old one was very well built and designed.It was a very spacious 28 footer.
full time for 17 months Rving no longer an option but it was great while it lasted.

#13 Bruce T

Bruce T

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

We like to park for a week or two in one place so we don't want something toooo small. We also don't want to pack up each time we need some fresh milk!

Any tow vehicle would need to be small enough to be a realistic daily driver.

thanks.

#14 Phil Saran

Phil Saran

• Validated Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

<Any tow vehicle would need to be small enough to be a realistic daily driver.>

Bruce,

If you want a realistic daily driver, then maybe think 1/2 ton pickup truck (what ever brand you like) and then match
a trailers weight to that.

My "new to me" 2011 Springdale 26 foot TT with a superslide is 28'-11" total length and has a Gross weight of 7700 lbs
with a 740 lb tonge weight. It could be towed by a Ford F150 with the correct tow rating (my son-in-law has a 2005
with a 9200 lb tow rating, as an example). I tow with a Ford F350 diesel 4 dr, long bed 4x4 with a tow rating of 12000 lbs
sure over kill for my TT, but the truck is paid for.

Phil & Alberta Saran

#15 RLAWyo

RLAWyo

• Validated Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

Ever look at an Escape. They make a 19' fifth wheel. Made in canada. Very well made and can be towed with a toyota tacoma size vehicle.
Arctic Fox 24-5n
Dodge 2500 quad cab
6.7cummins

#16 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20281 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:02 AM

I also like 35mpg!

You won't get anywhere close to that with anything capable of towing even a moderate sized trailer, that I know of. If you can find one that will get 20mpg, when running empty you will be doing OK and 25 mpg will be hard to find. ;)

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg