• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

The new RV plus card works great. After what one year maybe more they got it right. Swipe the card fuel, get the 6 cent per gal discount and be on your way. We tried it at both the Rv lanes and the truck lanes. Flying J stations and pilot stations. Now....if we could only get those bonehead Rv'ers to learn how to fuel and read at the RV pumps all would be well.

Why do they park and go inside to pay and shop leave the rig at the pumps. If they pay cash they do have to go inside or send the wife inside but there is a sign on the pump , in English that says when you are finished fueling pull forward to a parking area. I assume that many Rv'ers can not read. Wonder how that would work at the truck pumps??? I pointed the sign out to a lady behind the wheel of the rig..in front of us... and she turned her head the other way. They had no problem being rude, unthoughtful, uncaring, etc.

Truck pumps worked great. Big truck fueled. Took a little longer as he took like 150 gal of fuel at a fill rate of 20 gallons a minute then pulled forward.
Did not take near as long as the bonehead Rv'er who hit the restroom bought a take out coffee, paid, etc.Then took the time to clean his windshield.

Rv'er in a MH at the pump next to him had a word with the bonehead when he came out. Would like to have heard that conversation but the bone head beat a Hasty exit. That was not close to the first time that has occurred at the RV pumps which is why we normally do not use them..
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#2 DavidMc

DavidMc

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 973 posts
  • SKP#:90501

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

In just over 2,000 recent miles (TX, NM, CO, UT, ID, OR), less than half of the Pilot / Flying-J stations were able to perform their side of the dance.
The pump readers would (one or more of) -
* simply not read either card,
* not recognize the RV card,
* not compute / adjust for the discount.
- - - which meant a trip inside (twice) to authorize and the pay for the transaction.

BUT, It was worse last year.

Just don't expect all the stations (especially the 'affiliates') to do the dance well.

Edit: Fix typos.

Edited by DavidMc, 04 May 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#3 HamRad

HamRad

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1699 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

Rich,
I wish I could report the same positive findings regarding the FJ and Pilot stations. But, alas, I cannot; At least in my very limited recent travels. As to the negative experiences regarding other RVers being rude by taking care of business after fueling I can report similar incidents! It is so frustrating! But I have learned to go into a Zen like mode. I remind myself that I am retired. I do not have to rush to be somewhere. It works some of the time! <G>

Let's hope that all the stations will work as well as the ones you visited. Appreciate your sharing. Later, Dennis
Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

#4 George Stoltz

George Stoltz

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2791 posts
  • SKP#:99899

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

I have on more than one occasion waited in back of an OTR truck as he went inside to pay his bill and grab a snack after fueling and before pulling forward. Boneheads come in all sizes and stripes. With a 196 gallon tank we felt we could and should use the truck pumps.
George Stoltz

#5 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

This is with the New RV plus credit type card.NOT the frequent fueler card or any other FJ/P card but the RV PLUS card. One card one swipe. It worked fine at both stations Rv lanes and truck up I-95 and 1-77 and a pilot station on US -27 in Florida. One other Rv'er at a KOA in georgia that we were at last night from California said the RV plus card has been working for them since they got it.

Are these negative reports using the RV plus credit card??? Remember you have to enter your "control number" or the card will not read..
It nearly got me the first time because I swiped the card and nothing happened. The enter your control number msg appears on the digital readout at the pump and I could not see it because the sun was shinning on it..
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#6 DavidMc

DavidMc

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 973 posts
  • SKP#:90501

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Rich, Thanks for the clarification.
My report relates to the "affinity card" RV card -- not the Pilot/Flying-J branded credit card.

#7 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

I have on more than one occasion waited in back of an OTR truck as he went inside to pay his bill and grab a snack after fueling and before pulling forward. Boneheads come in all sizes and stripes. With a 196 gallon tank we felt we could and should use the truck pumps.

We also now like to use the truck pumps. With a 20 gal per minute fuel capability it does not take us long to fuel and it is now faster to do with the new RV plus card. I am sure it happens with OTR drivers but we have not yet had the experience. My thought is that the other drivers waiting in line to fuel would not take kindly to that.

We always used the RV pumps because we felt we were out for pleasure but the OTR drivers were out working and we did not want to hold them up but we had several tell us that our few gallons of fuel was not a big deal and feel free. One guy told us it took him that long to get out of the truck..

#8 GrayEagle

GrayEagle

Major Contributor

• Banned Users
  • 624 posts
  • SKP#:97203

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

Parked and work camping. So have only used the new card once. It worked just fine. Was nice not to have to swipe my other credit card two or three time to fill my 80 gallons. Also did get the six cent discount from the cash price.
Jim & Sylvia
Full Time in a Nuwa 2011 38LKTG

#9 Liberty

Liberty

• Validated Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

We pull in needing 120 up to 150 gallons. DW goes inside to get the pump turned on and then I begin to fuel. We use the RV lane of one for sedans or Pickups. Our tank will not drink as fast a an OTR trucks fire hose nozzle. So if you see Liberty sitting at a pump plan on a wait. Sorry.
LeRoy & Anne
Silver Eagle conversion
PT Cruiser Conv.
OK & KS now SD well sometimes

The journey is the trip not the destination.

http://2010liberty.wordpress.com/

#10 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

We pull in needing 120 up to 150 gallons. DW goes inside to get the pump turned on and then I begin to fuel. We use the RV lane of one for sedans or Pickups. Our tank will not drink as fast a an OTR trucks fire hose nozzle. So if you see Liberty sitting at a pump plan on a wait. Sorry.

Nothing was said about how long it took to fuel. It was about what folks do after they fuel... If you have the RV plus card you do not need to go inside to turn on the pump. One card..one swipe you are done..Fuel no matter how long it takes.. no matter what card you use then leave the pump....

#11 Dick&Joyce

Dick&Joyce

• Validated Members
  • 320 posts
  • SKP#:108945

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

I still use the old RV Advantage card and have yet to have a problem. My problem is that Pilot and J are no longer cheaper than the competition even with the card.
Dick and Joyce
2010 3665RE Montana 5th Wheel
2011 Dodge 2500 laramie edition
Norm, Diego @ Bitsy

#12 Nick Russell

Nick Russell

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3064 posts
  • SKP#:56740

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

Used the new card at the Pilot in Quartzsite AZ Tuesday in the car/RV lane. It worked, but cut me off at $150 (Viisa card) and would not reset the pump. Said I needed to go inside and pay the cashier. I knew I was close to full at that point and didn't need any more to get where I was going, so I didn't bother.
Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper
http://gypsyjournalr...gory/nicksblog/
Author of "Meandering Down The Highway, A Year On The Road With Fulltime RVers" and "Work Your Way Across The USA, You Can Travel & Earn A Living Too!"

#13 GrayEagle

GrayEagle

Major Contributor

• Banned Users
  • 624 posts
  • SKP#:97203

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

My fill was well over $200 with no cutoff.
Jim & Sylvia
Full Time in a Nuwa 2011 38LKTG

#14 SIBERNUT

SIBERNUT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2783 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:09 AM

The RV'er fifth wheel who leaves his rig at the truck pumps should check his pin before pulling out.......

2000 Volvo 610 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobuc.../?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Nooka & CH. Sedona
dolphins.jpg

#15 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:31 AM

It states that the RV plus card has no $$ limit per fill up but does have a 1,000.00 limit on the card. The thing is that control number that MUST be entered before the card will work...Swipe the RV plus card.The digital display will tell you to enter your control number. The control number is a number of your choice that you choose when you activate the RV plus card.
We will using the card in Va and Ohio today.Both stops are pilot stations. So far it make for a better trip.

It is true that there are less expensive prices out there but the stations may not be as easily assessable. I will pay for the convenience of near the exit and easy in easy out.

#16 Dick&Joyce

Dick&Joyce

• Validated Members
  • 320 posts
  • SKP#:108945

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

The RV'er fifth wheel who leaves his rig at the truck pumps should check his pin before pulling out.......

That's why mine is always locked.

Dick and Joyce
2010 3665RE Montana 5th Wheel
2011 Dodge 2500 laramie edition
Norm, Diego @ Bitsy

#17 paddygfw

paddygfw

• Validated Members
  • 135 posts
  • SKP#:107982

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Love using Flying J and over night there on occasion. Sometimes people forget that they are blocking the lane. I just read another chapter in my book :) .
Hope to see you on the road
2007 29' Yellowstone Class "C" V-10
2006 Goldwing 1800 CC

#18 Bill Walker

Bill Walker

• Validated Members
  • 17 posts
  • SKP#:112051

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

We used the card almost exclusively for two major trips last month as we finished getting out of our sticks and bricks. Early on, there were a couple of glitches, but overall, I was VERY pleased. At the end of the month they sent us a detailed bill and a separate notice prior to withdrawing from our account. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the program!
Bill Walker
Escapee # 109365
Full-timing since April 2012 with 2 cats!
Now in a new (to me) 2006 Nu-Wa 37CKRD 5th Wheel
2001 F350 w/ 7.3 Dsl

#19 Rif

Rif

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4573 posts
  • SKP#:84860

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'm trying to figure out why this new card is a good deal, other than the fact that it seems to work. If I understand correctly, you get a 5 cent discount from the cash price. Period. If I use the old card, which from all appearances is still in existence and available, you get a 3 cent discount from the cash price, plus you get the cash back amount from whatever credit card you use. That can be from 1 to 5 percent, so from an additional 4 cents to as much as 20 cents, assuming a cost of $4 per gallon. This means a minimum discount of 7 cents per gallon by using the old card, compared to a maximum of 5 cents if using the new card.

This new card also results in two more things I don't like. First, you have to be a member of Good Sam. So, unless you are already a member for other reasons, you have to immediately reduce the benefit of the fuel savings by the $25 annual fee for membership. There are also many who don't want to join Good Sam for other reasons, but I'm ignoring those right now. Second, unless you can pay the balance with a credit card when using the online payment option, which is not made clear in the program details or the FAQ, there is no option to pay the balance over time. While many people pay off their credit card bills each month anyway, this card does not give anyone the option.

Again, I understand the difficulties many of us have had in getting the old card to work, but it appears that there is a financial disadvantage to the new card. Maybe the convenience is worth it. Am I missing something?
2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

#20 Barbaraok

Barbaraok

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 7253 posts
  • SKP#:90761

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

If there was an option to pay using a credit card I might consider. I'll pay from my checking account, not you'll draw from my checking account. There is a difference.

Also, I don't see the advantage when, as Rif said, you get a better reward using one of the many different cards out there.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
Full-timimg with our cat Shadow (16 yrs old)
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2004 Subaru Forester toad (Mischief)
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834