Photo

Anyone want to sell me their Tailgator by Dish?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 RonnieReverb

RonnieReverb

• Validated Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

anyone out there looking to sell their Tailgator by Dish, mobile satellite, with the auto pointer signal?
and with the Dish VIP211K receiver?
am currently in Tampa, about to head west via the 10 to 40, but of course there's always shipping.

#2 halfdimes

halfdimes

• Validated Members
  • 17 posts
  • SKP#:105094

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

The Tailgater is a relatively new product. Doubt you'll see much in the used market for a while. If you're heading west, check out PPL in Houston, TX. Their price is competitive though CW has been selling the receiver alone for about $135. Other than one sketchy website selling the Tailgater for around $290, I haven's seen much price movement yet. I have the Vip211k coupled with my rooftop dome and have been generally satisfied with its performance. Getting locals when we move can be a chore, depending on who we get to 'chat' with at Dish.
Dave & Jo Ann
2008 HitchHiker Champagne
2011 F350 dually with Ford/Reese hitch

#3 Glenn West

Glenn West

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1130 posts
  • SKP#:109607

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

ppl is where I got mine. Love it
2003 Teton Grand Freedom- 2012 Chevy Silverado  CC Dually 4X4-Traveling USA welding pipe.

#4 John Bagley

John Bagley

• Validated Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

ppl is where I got mine. Love it

Glen,
I am interested. How do you you use it and why do you like it? What about reception in forested areas?
Regards
JB
John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610, The Mellenium Falcon, 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International (A Jack Mayer hand me down), Pressure Pro and our 3 dogs.

#5 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3757 posts
  • SKP#:72644

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

How do you use it? Set it on the ground, plug it in and watch TV.
Too many trees? No one is watching TV. Trees with enough of a gap to find the satellites? The Tailgater will lock on and you will be watching TV. There is no cure for leaves blocking your signal!

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#6 Glenn West

Glenn West

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1130 posts
  • SKP#:109607

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

The park I'm in now has a large "cover" of oak trees. I had a tripod with a dish 500 and worked at it for 2 days and found only 110. I have set up dishes for years successfully and gave up with this. At wife's insistence ordered the tailgater and moved it to location where I only was getting some signal and it got all 3. Some transformers are weak but I have lots of tv. I do not believe it will get as powerful a signal as a larger dish but it does in minutes what takes me a hour. It is less aggravation and that is the best of it. Has a much smaller footprint also.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom- 2012 Chevy Silverado  CC Dually 4X4-Traveling USA welding pipe.

#7 nhcouple

nhcouple

• All Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

Dish for my rv is where we are getting ours for 199.00 and he is in FL. Have not received it yet but Scott is a nice guy

#8 CasitaAdventurer

CasitaAdventurer

• Validated Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

Just something to share relative to DISH RV Technical support.

When you contact the DISH support number immediately request RV support. The first level support knows almost nothing about DISH RV service.

I have the Winegard GM-1518 Carryout Automatic Portable RV Satellite Antenna. I use the DISH RV service that I can pay as I go a month at a time.

When I arrive at destination I contact DISH and provide the zipcode I am at and the I am able to receive local channels. I also found it necessary to ensure my service is working properly when starting a trip. When the receiver is disconnected for a period of time it can lose the ability to connect.

Posted Image

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain

Gallery

#9 John Bagley

John Bagley

• Validated Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Just something to share relative to DISH RV Technical support.

When you contact the DISH support number immediately request RV support. The first level support knows almost nothing about DISH RV service.

I have the Winegard GM-1518 Carryout Automatic Portable RV Satellite Antenna. I use the DISH RV service that I can pay as I go a month at a time.

When I arrive at destination I contact DISH and provide the zipcode I am at and the I am able to receive local channels. I also found it necessary to ensure my service is working properly when starting a trip. When the receiver is disconnected for a period of time it can lose the ability to connect.

Posted Image

thanks for the info. does the tailgater require a separate 12 volt power or does it get power from the cable?
Thanks
JB
John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610, The Mellenium Falcon, 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International (A Jack Mayer hand me down), Pressure Pro and our 3 dogs.

#10 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3757 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

The Tailgater uses just one single coax cable to the receiver to power and connect. That's good, but that's also one of its limitations. One receiver only, 211K only, Dish service only, etc.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#11 UsnLt

UsnLt

• Validated Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

I see a tailgater and receiver for sale in the Craigslist Fort Myers, FL. They are asking $225. Tailgater

#12 firedoc

firedoc

• Validated Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:53 AM

The park I'm in now has a large "cover" of oak trees. I had a tripod with a dish 500 and worked at it for 2 days and found only 110. I have set up dishes for years successfully and gave up with this. At wife's insistence ordered the tailgater and moved it to location where I only was getting some signal and it got all 3. Some transformers are weak but I have lots of tv. I do not believe it will get as powerful a signal as a larger dish but it does in minutes what takes me a hour. It is less aggravation and that is the best of it. Has a much smaller footprint also.

We have a Travler roof top auto dish that normally works very well. However this current volunteer site there is an extensive cover of trees and could not connect. We purchased a Tailgater and voila, problem solved. We did have to place the dish more than 100 feet away but just bought a 150 ft RG6 cord and it hooked right up and works wonderfully. The USF&W crew even put it up on top of a building for me and ran overhead wires so that it would not disappear.
06 38L Bounder DP
08 Saturn Vue
Started FT 2011

#13 halfdimes

halfdimes

• Validated Members
  • 17 posts
  • SKP#:105094

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

CW is now carrying the Tailgater both by itself or as a bundle with the ViP211K. On Saturday, June 9, 2012 by using discount code 2419 they will take 10% of any one item of more than $75. That would make the Tailgater $315 and the bundle $436.50. And shipping is free for Good Sam members. Not a bad deal since there's been so little price movement on the Tailgater so far.

They had the same deal last Saturday and I ordered the Tailgater and received it this afternoon. Setup was super easy.
Dave & Jo Ann
2008 HitchHiker Champagne
2011 F350 dually with Ford/Reese hitch

#14 Toyhauler

Toyhauler

• Validated Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for that tip. I just used the code about 20 minutes ago and the order went through for $314.99.

#15 Linda Z

Linda Z

• Validated Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

Per the RV support people at Dish, the Tailgater can be used for two sets but you need to have two receivers and a splitter. Anyone try this yet?

Linda Z
1994 Rexhall Aerbus

#16 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3757 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

Per the RV support people at Dish, the Tailgater can be used for two sets but you need to have two receivers and a splitter. Anyone try this yet?

Linda Z

That information is incorrect. What they might have meant (or didn't understand) was that whatever you have selected on the satellite receiver (channel 100 for example) can be viewed on multiple TV's. You would then use a splitter or video control center to split the outgoing signal from the receiver to multiple TV's.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997