GPS & POIs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 dmac1

dmac1

• Validated Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Bought a Garmin nuvi 465LMT. Have only driven around in the car with it to try it out and based on some bridges I know are low, it warns me once audibly and show an icon in the corner of a problem forthcoming. Whats bugging me though is there are no icons on the screen of the various clearances. No matter how close I zoom.

So I've been poking around and have looked at both POI Factory and GPS Data Team to be able to upload POIs so I can see where stuff is. Via POI Factory, it seems that you just get a tiny dot that indicates one of your POIs. Not incredibly useful...but I guess they'll work. I'm guessing I'd need to try to build in proximity alerts or will the 465T automatically do that if there is a POI that isn't one that came with a Garmin map.

It appears to me that GPS Data Team's downloads on bridge clearances come with icons (and built in proximity alerts). It costs $7 to join GPS Data Team so I thought I'd check and see if anyone on here has used them?

I've read a few pages of the Gary Hayman's instructions and I must admit...I wish I had the patience to do all that...and the time.
http://home.comcast....htm#pagepoitext

Prior to getting the 465T I downloaded an app to my phone entitled Allstays Camp & Rv and it has the icons like I want... but the phone's GPS is pathetic and won't connect when moving so I can only use it for route planning...plus the icons are tiny and don't get bigger even if you zoom. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2.

Lots a problems huh?

Thanks for any guidance.
Dave

#2 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4525 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

I think you expectations are wrong.

For height knowledgeable GPS units/software, they do not indicate what is a low clearance, they don't route you through places that are lower than you set for your height.

If you want to test the routing, set the GPS for a car and see how it will route you through the area in question, Then change to RV/Truck mode and she how the route changes.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2012 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#3 dmac1

dmac1

• Validated Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

I think you expectations are wrong.

For height knowledgeable GPS units/software, they do not indicate what is a low clearance, they don't route you through places that are lower than you set for your height.

If you want to test the routing, set the GPS for a car and see how it will route you through the area in question, Then change to RV/Truck mode and she how the route changes.

Yeah....I set up my rig (13'3") and a test truck that was 15'6" tall and drove around in my car. With my rig it was cool until I came to a 11'4" bridge but with the test truck it wouldn't even let me take the interstate in Denver so I understand how it revises the routing. Thats part of what I'm asking.

Perhaps let me try to focus my questions:

Will the 465 do routing incorporating POIs I upload? I think the answer is no but that it would do proximity warnings...I ask about this because I like to go to the boondocks and thus I won't always be on a trucking route where the 465 will have data. I'd like to upload POIs to help me navigate...and get a warning if I screw up the route somehow.

If I upload POIs from GPS Data Team, will the icons they show on their site show on the map on the 465?
http://poidirectory....transportation/

I've read about a National Bridge Inventory which I would think would be every bridge in the country and if so and if there was a way to turn that into POIs (for at least proximity warnings) then that will probably be as good as I'm going to get for now.

#4 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4525 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

The 465T has a very complete road database, not just truck routes. Read this as meaning there is hardly any place you can go that isn't in the 465T database. This includes most fire road, etc. So again you put your destination in and let the Garmin figure a route. With truck rules on, the route will get you as close as the truck route roads can get you and then the rest of the way to the destination on streets that don't have height obstructions. If you plan on going overland, no vehicle GPS unit is designed for that.

I still don't understand what you are looking for in proximity warnings.

The National Bridge Inventory is in the 465T road database. The Garmin doesn't tell why it doesn't route doen a road with a restriction, with an Icon, it just doesn't route you down the road.

The Garmin will use its road database for routing. It doesn't use added POIs for routing. If you pick an uploaded POI as a destination, then the road database coordinates closest to the POI with be the basis for routing.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#5 dmac1

dmac1

• Validated Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

The 465T has a very complete road database, not just truck routes. Read this as meaning there is hardly any place you can go that isn't in the 465T database. This includes most fire road, etc. So again you put your destination in and let the Garmin figure a route. With truck rules on, the route will get you as close as the truck route roads can get you and then the rest of the way to the destination on streets that don't have height obstructions. If you plan on going overland, no vehicle GPS unit is designed for that.

I still don't understand what you are looking for in proximity warnings.

The National Bridge Inventory is in the 465T road database. The Garmin doesn't tell why it doesn't route doen a road with a restriction, with an Icon, it just doesn't route you down the road.

The Garmin will use its road database for routing. It doesn't use added POIs for routing. If you pick an uploaded POI as a destination, then the road database coordinates closest to the POI with be the basis for routing.

Good info....thanks. I didn't realize it had so much info in it. I guess I'm just not trusting it and hence why I wanted to upload low clearance POIs so I could have a visual of what the 465T should ultimately warn me about.

Does anyone have a link to the National Bridge Inventory clearance info? I can't seem to find it...I find other info in the database about bridges...but not clearance. Their dictionary says it is in field 53 and 54B....but where the heck is the data?.

The little I read about proximity warnings made me think they would be similar to what the 465T does when you're approching a bridge you won't fit under. The 465T gives a visual and audible warning and puts an icon in the top left corner of the screen. The info I looked at said, for example, a red light camera POI can flash a warning on your gps that it is up ahead and you could put an audible alert on it too.

#6 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4525 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

It sounds like you want to just drive around and have the GPS squawk when you about to hit something.

That is not the strategy for using a height knowlegable GPS unit. The idea is you want to get somewhere and you have the GPS figure the best route to get to that destination without encountering restrictions.

A couple of the trucking GPS units have taken the position that if you deviate from an acceptable truck route as defined but the parameters you set, they will stop the routing. The reason for this is liability for routing a truck into a situation like running into a low bridge. Eastern states, which have a lot of low bridges, have been getting particularly hostile to GPS systems that route trucks into low bridges.

So in truck mode, the indication maybe well be a warning and no further directions.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#7 dmac1

dmac1

• Validated Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

It sounds like you want to just drive around and have the GPS squawk when you about to hit something.

Not exactly but I would want it to let me know of an approaching problem if I deviate from a planned route. I think I shoulda simply got a smaller trailer. If it were just me and my son and/or buds going riding, it woulda been smaller for sure. Anyway, naturally I'd use the gps to plan my route.

I finally found the actual National Bridge Inventory. Naturally, the bridge I wanted to use as a test case isn't in there. To get where I want to go, you need to go under it....unless you take the long way.

In case you're wondering, the inventory is an ASCII file and the government's data dictionary (that should say where one field stops and another starts) isn't very detail oriented. In any event, I got it imported into Excel and carved out most of the info I wanted, but to no avail because the I-70 bridge isn't in it.

So, I tested the 465T with my now 16' 6" test truck and my real rig. Sitting here at home of course. Sure enough...it routes me under the bridge with both and the test truck will not fit. This is the reason I am wanting to get more height oriented POIs...but now I know I'm likely not going to find them in the Inventory, so I guess I'll just hafta see what I can download.

#8 dmac1

dmac1

• Validated Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

Just thought I'd give a heads up that I paid the $7 to GPS Data Team and after initially having trouble getting a password and able to use their site, I only found 1 clearance POI in the 2 states I was looking for. Not exactly what I was hoping for and I guess I should have known better. There is some other info there that I haven't looked at but I went back to POI Factory and downloaded some stuff from that for free.

#9 bryanl

bryanl

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1128 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

This is one of those situations where I am looking for the 'Real Soon Now' and it seems that it is a long time coming.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/ is sorta' headed this way. I think it'd be something if every state government vehicle has a GPS and an accelerometer (like a lot of the modern tablet computers do now) that sent data back to a central source that used that information to obtain highway condition information that was then posted online so you could see what sort of vehicle was able to handle the road and the speed they travelled (the DOT could use this information to help determine road repair priorities as well). Then have voluntary contributions from travellers to the same database to provide real time traffic and flow information.

The topo mapping information is an example of this process. The organization of that data for use in maps is way ahead of road condition data. Both data sets are out there from public sources but the road condition stuff just hasn't received the same coordinated collation, collection, and codification effort from what I can see.

I guess the 'big brother' fears and such things do present hurdles. Then there's the loss of adventure - like having to back up a steep canyon road because it's too narrow to turn around and dead ends at the river and such things  ;)

One of these days! ...
---
Bryan

#10 Roadwarrior

Roadwarrior

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1050 posts
  • SKP#:111625

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

I am researching how each GPS can export their waypoints and upload to Openmap.
once I figure that out will create an app that can but used to do this easily.
I believe if all the RVers did this it would really fill up the highly traveled routes fast.
I am also looking at having an upload site that will match duplications to see if the data matches and flag it before upload to openmaps.
Fulltiming since 1989.
No TLC's--
Accessing the internet with Wifi Evdo enabled mobile card from Verizon
Wifi SSID r0adwarrior on the road for Access to Internet, ask for Key.
Wifi SSID r0adwarrior for Access to Webpages in Bus.
http://roadwarrior.free-man.com/