#1 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2180 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

Couple of questions about truck washes.

Do you use independent truck washes or the ones at places like Pilot, etc?
If you wash it yourself, how/where do you do it?
Do you pull your 5ver into them?
If you take your 5ver in, do they get on top and wash the roof too?

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#2 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 604 posts
  • SKP#:104866

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

Brian, I have only used the Beacon truck wash. They washed my truck, Jeep and 5th wheel for about $120, IIRC. Did a great job. I was surprised that they opened the hood of the truck and washed around the engine too. They also put covers on the wheels to protect them from the chemicals that they used. They did not wash the roof of the 5'vr.

Seemed like a great deal to me.

2001 34N Pace Arrow Vision V10
2003 International 9200i 500hp ISX Freedomline 12sp
Conversion by 2L Custom Trucks
8kw QD Onan Genset/TS2BLH Hitch
Travel Supreme CL38SLQ1

Posted Image

#3 jblscooper

jblscooper

• Validated Members
  • 298 posts
  • SKP#:32353

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

Brian, truck washes will wash truck/trailer. they will NOT do the roof of the trailer, too much liability. If you are considering doing it yourself, I would rethink it. There is a lot of surface and height on a class 8. For the cost use a facility that its their business, personally I like Blue Beacon.

Jim

#4 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2180 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

Believe me, the last thing I want to do is try and wash that monster myself. :lol: I just wanted to see what others are doing and what places you're using. :D

So what do you do about the roof of the 5ver?

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#5 Softail

Softail

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

I use a 1400psi pressure washer. it is small, stores easily, and has plenty of power even to get the gunk that builds up underneath the HDT. An extendable brush gets the top of the condo. I usually wash in campgrounds, as we're either management, employees, or extended stay (30 days or more).
Choosing an HDT is similar to many things in life. The options are: good, cheap, and easy. Pick two.
"Hulk Smash Puny Mountain" : 2000 Freightliner Century -Cummins N14+ 460HP, 13 speed, 3.58 rears -Work in progress
2004 Fleetwood Terry Quantum 38'

Posted Image

#6 broncohauler

broncohauler

• Validated Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

1400PSI elc pressure washer hooked up to a DI water tank. Dosnt take long because you don't need to dry it with DI water. When we enter truck shows I have (MTD truck wash ) in San Diego CA detail for me. The 5vr roof we wash a couple times a year.

Charlie

#7 Steveoreno

Steveoreno

• Validated Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

I wash the roof of trailer with power washer and once a year with a scrub brush. I wash the truck as needed as its driven everyday. I have done the quick truck was route and they do a 90% job but last weekend really did a super detail with brush on a pole, smaller wheel brush and wash mit. I am a bit of a pill about my stuff and like it clean. I have 1/2 the truck buffed out as I removed the stripes. Need to bust the trailer cap and wax the sides. The wheels are polished and can do a quick polish with a mothers ball and wheel polish. I will be detailing under the hood soon as all the leaks are done. I treat the truck like a overgrown car.

1999 Freightliner FL 60 Crew Cab SOLD
300 HP Cat, Allison 6 speed
2010 3912 Raptor Toyhauler SOLD
Dirt bikes and Quads

Coming soon 2005 Country Coach DaVinci Inspire

#8 rickeieio

rickeieio

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1024 posts
  • SKP#:108492

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

I wash either in my driveway or at the shop, garden hose and a long handle brush. It doesn't take long, and I enjoy it.

I have two pressure washers, but haven;t used either on this unit. I hope to need to do that later this year, if I can kill enough bugs.:lol:
Volvo 770, ISX 500, 10 spd. auto
Overland 5th w/ garage in back
Lots of old motorcycles
Young enough to play in the dirt as a semi-retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

#9 Darryl&Rita

Darryl&Rita

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1553 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

About 1/2 the true Truck washes I've been to have a elevated walkway running the length of the wash bay. Climb up there, and use the foamy brush on the roof. I always wash, it's good exercise. ;) That way, I know who's to blame for streaks and misses. Posted Image Be REALLY careful around any sealing/entries on the unit with the pressure hose. It's quick and unforgiving.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here

#10 1Rod

1Rod

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1095 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

My Brother used to be an over the road Truck Driver and told me to stay away from Blue Beacon, "Use way too much Chemical and not enough elbow grease". Maybe they all use the chemicals now. It was a few years ago. He did always drive a clean truck. Had a 1986 W9 that he really liked Red White and Chrome. Spent hours on the tanks during the summer weekends. Then more time on the wheels. Of course his shop, garage and tool box were always way organized too.

Rod

1995 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

2007 Weekend Warrior FTL 4005 Traded 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 770 singled long with 14' van box and 60 inch deck. 465 Volvo with 10 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross

Rans Recumbent Bicycle

2013 Yamaha FJR 1300

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

#11 oscarvan

oscarvan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

Telescoping brush and a hose on the camper, will be doing the same on future truck.
Super Max is a 2012 Chevvy 3500 Crew Cab Dual Rear Wheels.....Duramax Diesel and Allison 6 Speed. Max takes care of TWO RV's:......"Yertle" our 2012 Lance 1191 Truck Camper for short missions, and "The Castle" a 2013 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King HD for our longer vacations.

#12 Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2232 posts
  • SKP#:098149

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Telescoping brush and a hose on the camper, will be doing the same on future truck.

Same here...use that on both truck and camper...a fair amount of work, but does a nice job, and I don't have to worry about too much pressure pealing off my decals/etc... :D
Cheers,
Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

#13 oscarvan

oscarvan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Same here...use that on both truck and camper...a fair amount of work, but does a nice job, and I don't have to worry about too much pressure pealing off my decals/etc... :D
Cheers,
Bob

Nah, a good excuse to take it easy for a few hours, sip some suds and play with the water hose. Posted Image

Super Max is a 2012 Chevvy 3500 Crew Cab Dual Rear Wheels.....Duramax Diesel and Allison 6 Speed. Max takes care of TWO RV's:......"Yertle" our 2012 Lance 1191 Truck Camper for short missions, and "The Castle" a 2013 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King HD for our longer vacations.

#14 aeromax

aeromax

• Validated Members
  • 260 posts
  • SKP#:115806

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

clean the roof with TSP and do it yourself ;) that way you dont have to worry about some monkey putting his foot through your vents and such :o .....monkeys dont know anything about rv's only bananas :P
89 peterbilt 372 (the helmet) COE 3406 b 450 hp eaton fuller roadranger 18 speed 150,000 orignal miles A.K.A. DARTH HELMET
2006 40 foot alfa toyhouse
2010 smart passion red with black tridion cell A.K.A. the GERBLE

#15 Nolan

Nolan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

When we first got the truck we washed it at independent car/truck wash and did it ourselves. Wiped it down with lots of old towels. Now we just do it ourselves at places we workamp at. Hose it off, use a brush in a bucket of water with Blue Coral Wash & Wax concentrate. Rinse it all off and wipe it down. Same with the trailer. Only most of the time start on the roof first and us spic and span on the roof. Of course have to remove the vent covers to clean those twice a year. Good time to check the caulk on the trailer when all done. The car is really easy.

Nolan and JoAnn
2000 Kenworth T600.
2004 NuWa Hitchhiker
Champagne 33 LKTG
2009 Toyota Matrix
http://2-on-the-road.blogspot.com/

Have two tkloader motorcycle

loaders for sale.

#16 Desolation Roe

Desolation Roe

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1915 posts
  • SKP#:106407

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

I like Blue Beacon. Just keep them away from the slide seals!

Geo

George, Karen and Bubbles
2008 Volvo 780, 535hp 1850lb/ft D-16 I-Shift, 3.42
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3

“Someone has to do the plowing."

#17 trucksaledave

trucksaledave

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 903 posts
  • SKP#:96553

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Pressure washer with hot water and harsh chemicals will take the shine right out of any paint. Fades most decals, over time.
I use a professional car wash that has wax in it. Works good. Brush washing paint will keep it looking better than always pressure washing it .

JMO

Dave
2001 IHC 9200i....."WEEKEND WARRIOR"
Single axle...N-14 cummins...super10...jake...72" sleeper/sofa...shore power...
2007 SunnyBrook 38'
and... one very large Maine Coon CAT.....SAMANTHA

My toys....www.picturetrail.com...trucksaledave

#18 broncohauler

broncohauler

• Validated Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

As I said earlier we use a pressure washer for washing our truck that is to save water you do need to make sure you use light pressure. we just got back today from a car show and won first place for favorite paint job it works for us.

B

#19 Russ Barnes

Russ Barnes

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1392 posts
  • SKP#:95565

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Pressure washer with hot water and harsh chemicals will take the shine right out of any paint. Fades most decals, over time.
I use a professional car wash that has wax in it. Works good. Brush washing paint will keep it looking better than always pressure washing it .

JMO

Dave

I've noticed a lot of trucks where the aluminum steps, tanks, battery boxes, flap hangers, etc are really dull looking. Not just dull from age and sun, but they look like they have been acid dipped and it looks really uniform, flat and dull. Maybe these chemicals at the truck washes are the reason. I've been noticing it more and more, maybe since I have spent hours and hours buffing......but I don't like it.

Russ

2000 Kennworth T2000 "MH" - 430 DD, Gen I/AS, 3.25 locker, E.T. hitch and much, much more.
2006 Teton Frontier 5'r - 39' Royal (Teton club member #1544)
2008 451 smart Passion - with a few goodies added.

The weather is warmer, I've a lot more get up and go and I spend more time on finishing the truck - however, the rain falls - grass grows and I have to spend three days a week mowing 6+ acres.  Then because I am retired somehow my DW things since she still works that I needed to be appointed grocery getter, chef, dish washer and other chores.  So the story is that more is getting done, but still not as fast as I'd like.

#20 Desolation Roe

Desolation Roe

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1915 posts
  • SKP#:106407

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

I've noticed a lot of trucks where the aluminum steps, tanks, battery boxes, flap hangers, etc are really dull looking. Not just dull from age and sun, but they look like they have been acid dipped and it looks really uniform, flat and dull. Maybe these chemicals at the truck washes are the reason. I've been noticing it more and more, maybe since I have spent hours and hours buffing......but I don't like it.

Russ

Really, you just need to be an informed consumer.

They will ask you what you want done at a Blue Beacon. I have never been as impressed at a commercial wash facility as I have been there.

"Brightener" is a synonym for acid. It will get all the crap off your metalwork but remove all the shine at the same time. You get clean, but flat and dull. I use that on my steps for example.

On the other hand, Citrushine does a great job of cleaning the gunge off your polished aluminum without taking the shine off. They charge x amount per wheel and I get the tractor and trailer wheels done with it.

You need to know what to ask for. I really like Blue Beacon, but I spent a little time on Google working out what services I needed to ask for and what to avoid.

The last go around at Oak Grove was $68 for the Volvo and Suites. They did a fantastic job. You have to work out how much you like washing stuff and what your time is worth if you don't like washing stuff.

I wash the stuff I drive for pay while at work, and I can't stand doing it on my time off. Watching the guys that do this for a living is almost like watching ballet. I am happy to pay to enjoy the benefit of that skill set...

Geo

George, Karen and Bubbles
2008 Volvo 780, 535hp 1850lb/ft D-16 I-Shift, 3.42
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3

“Someone has to do the plowing."