Replacing DTV Sat. single LNB with 18 x 20 3 LNB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 NJ-Ron

NJ-Ron

• Validated Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

I got a 18 X 20 3 LNB dish from a friend which I would like to replace my single 18" LNB dish with so I can run another line to the BR and use 2 DTV recivers. But for the life of me I can not get a signal on the 3 LNB dish. I'm using the same coax I used on the old dish got all 3 settings off the reciever using the zip code we are at but can't get squat. I put the old antenae back on the tripod hook the coax and I have the signal. What's up?

Is it possible the the 3 LNB module is bad? Does the coax have to be wired in a specific configuaration? Is there some way I can check it? :(

Thanks for the help folks, Ron.......

Edited by NJ-Ron, 27 April 2012 - 09:37 AM.

Ron & Pat
2003 Coachman 340 MBS
2007 Altima
Currently Snowbirds - Ft. Myers Beach

#2 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3375 posts
  • SKP#:72644

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

If it is an antenna with 3 perfectly round LNB's pretty much directly in the center of the housing then you might as well use your existing 1 LNB antenna and just change the LNB to a dual LNB. Check your existing 1 LNB antenna to ensure there are not already 2 outputs at the base of the LNB. If there are then you just need to run the second cable. The dish I am guessing you have will only pick up 101, 110 and 119 and there is nothing (to speak of) on 110 and 119 so you will be getting the same 101 programming from that antenna that you would get from the single LNB antenna.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#3 tdst51

tdst51

• Validated Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

If it is an antenna with 3 perfectly round LNB's pretty much directly in the center of the housing then you might as well use your existing 1 LNB antenna and just change the LNB to a dual LNB. Check your existing 1 LNB antenna to ensure there are not already 2 outputs at the base of the LNB. If there are then you just need to run the second cable. The dish I am guessing you have will only pick up 101, 110 and 119 and there is nothing (to speak of) on 110 and 119 so you will be getting the same 101 programming from that antenna that you would get from the single LNB antenna.

Make sure when you are in the "satellite setup' mode that you not only change the single LNB, but you have to change the switch also, which is just below where you change the LNB. And yes, I learned the very hard way.

#4 NJ-Ron

NJ-Ron

• Validated Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Bill, the reason I would like to use this dish is that at some point in time I may want to use my high def receiver in the MH.

TDST51, my current configuration is Dish Type: 02: 3 LNB (18"X20")
Switch Type: 02: Multi-switch
I dont't seem to have the capability of change the Switch type. No matter how I try to manuver the cursor it won't go in that box.?????
Ron & Pat
2003 Coachman 340 MBS
2007 Altima

#5 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3375 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Bill, the reason I would like to use this dish is that at some point in time I may want to use my high def receiver in the MH.

TDST51, my current configuration is Dish Type: 02: 3 LNB (18"X20")
Switch Type: 02: Multi-switch
I dont't seem to have the capability of change the Switch type. No matter how I try to manuver the cursor it won't go in that box.?????

I suspected that your goal was HD in the future. That is why I mention that you will not be able to receive anything more with that antenna than with your single LNB antenna. That antenna can receive 101, 110 and 119. There is NO HD programming available from these satellites. You would need to get another antenna with an SL3 or SL5 LNB which is capable of receiving the 3 satellites at 99(KA Band) 101(KU Band) and 103(KA Band). The DirecTV HD programing is all located on 99 and 103.
If you really want to continue to play with that antenna, try highlighting the multi-switch option and push the "2" button on your remote. You can also select 18" round which should force the switch type to multiswitch. Once you complete the setup routine all the way to the end you can come back and set multiswitch. DTV no makes 2 models of HD receiver which are NOT multiswitch capable so if anyone out there ever wants to use the H®25 or H34 series of receivers from DirecTV you must be using a SWM capable antenna or replace the receiver with another model.

Edit: I think I misread your post. Multi-switch is the correct switch type for the oval LNB and I believe that no other option is available.

Edited by Bill Adams, 28 April 2012 - 08:41 AM.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#6 NJ-Ron

NJ-Ron

• Validated Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

DirecTV tech was no help, he said I can't use that antennae on a SD reciever. A neighbor in the park let me borrow his 2 LNB Dish antennae and it worked fine. I'm begining to think the head is bad on the one I have and was wondering if there is a way to test one?

Bill thanks for that info. On that 3 LNB head there are 6 connections for coax. Does it matter which ones I use?

Edited by NJ-Ron, 28 April 2012 - 10:42 AM.

Ron & Pat
2003 Coachman 340 MBS
2007 Altima

#7 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3375 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

There should not be that many connections. I suspect that the required switch within the LNB is gone. Really not a concern since that dish won't do what you want anyway. Get back on the 1 LNB antenna or go get the right kind of antenna for HD.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997