Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:43 PM
My experience as an RN when we had people that had taken too much warfarin( blood thinner) was that they were forgetful and took too much or had not followed their doctor's orders about when they should get labs done to monitor their blood clotting levels. Many who took too much insulin or blood sugar oral medicine did not monitor their blood sugars.It is so important for patients to be educated about their medicines/side effects/ and the importance of following up on their labs as directed by their MDs. If a person is too forgetful, they need to have a responsible adult do that monitoring for them. Many adult children are not aware that their elderly parents are having difficulties with their memories and caring for themselves. The educational role of RNs is such an important part of their job and yet it is difficult because all the patient and their families can think about is getting out of the hospital. RNs often worry about the patients absorbing this educational information. I cannot stress how important it is for all of us taking meds to be fully educated about the meds/side effects/lab tests required. While the CDC can publish info, it comes down to personal responsibility for those taking the drugs.
Sandie & Joel
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2009 Chevy Malibu LTZ with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
Follow our adventures at "Weiss Travels" on Facebook