Photo

Anti-bacterial Cleaners and Soaps

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Anti-bacterial Cleaners and Soaps (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use anti-bacterial cleaners or soaps?

1. Yes (8 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. No (19 votes [67.86%])

Percentage of vote: 67.86%

3. Just cleaners (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Just soaps (1 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

Vote

#1 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2181 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

I thought this might be interesting. I do not have any medical issues which compromise my immune system and my question/poll is targeted at people that also do not have a compromised immune system.

I do not and have not allowed anti-bacterial cleaners or soaps in my home ever. I use a wooden cutting board because germs do not grow on them and only clean it with a brush and hot water, no soaps. I do not get the flu shot and I get sick once sometimes twice a year.

I am of the belief that we (our bodies) need to be exposed to germs and bacteria in order to develop immunities to them. I also believe the proliferation of anti-bacterial cleaners and soaps are responsible for the increase in sick children and adults in this country because they have no natural immunity to anything.

Edited by Brianwl, 26 April 2012 - 09:10 PM.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#2 Earl

Earl

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1417 posts
  • SKP#:104554

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

Pretty much agree with you on this. If there had been a "sometimes" I may have said I will use them, when available, after using a public restroom, especially in a restaurant or gas station. There are certainly times when I don't want to be exposed to who knows what. But most of the time I don't use them, never at home.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5rds for full-timing, now sold.

2011 23rks Keystone Hideout for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

#3 Rocky B

Rocky B

• Validated Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Anti-bacterial have their place in this world. The usual recommendation I give my staff is SOAP and WATER first and use the anti bacterial gels for minimal contacts with patients and there environment. When your hand is visibly soiled then wash with soap and water a minimum of 1 minute. Course we're in a high risk situation as we work in a hospital. For outside the hospital it is best that we are exposed to the germs otherwise we lose our bodies ability to fight germs. Posted Image

#4 JM

JM

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2321 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

We have been fortunate over the last 50+ years to see incredible advances in medicine and for the most part ease of access. The downside is many have forgotten how to take care of themselves. Common sense stuff ie wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, brush your teeth and floss. It is so bad they have public service announcements during flu season etc. With the ease of access a sniffle or sneeze and its off to the doctor some will go placing an undo burden on the medical system and potentially preventing those that really need care from getting in.

Antibiotics: Misuse puts you and others at risk
Antibiotics can be lifesavers, but misuse has increased the number of drug-resistant germs. See how this affects you and what you can do to help prevent antibiotic resistance. Click Here for the complete article from the MAYO Clinic.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. A good nights rest, no seconds, and walk as often possible.

#5 mockturtle

mockturtle

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 661 posts
  • SKP#:108624

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Aside from the obvious role that the overuse of antibiotics plays in microbial resistance to drugs, the use of antibacterial soaps and cleansers can contribute to this problem. We'd all be better off in the long run if we avoid them. I use liquid dish soap as a hand cleaner. It dispenses just as neatly as the antibacterials do. I use the same dish soap or Simple Green to clean almost everything else.

Of course, I do use chlorine bleach to sanitize my freshwater system once or twice a year.
RVing since 1994
2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis
2002 Honda CR-V toad
Roadmaster Sterling A/T towbar
VIP braking system
Eddyline Merlin kayak

#6 kingskids

kingskids

• Validated Members
  • 488 posts
  • SKP#:107761

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

I'm with you as well, but agree with Earl - use the hand sanitizers after using a public restroom. But I make my own sanitizer so I know what's in it - too many unknown chemicals that have unknown lasting effects in many brands. The "recipe" is ultra simple. I use equal parts rubbing alcohol (for germ killing) and aloe vera gel (just the aloe and water type - for the re-moisturizing of your hands from the drying of the alcohol). But, no anti bacterial soaps in our home either - not even for dish washing - original Dawn does fine for the dishes - and keeps the grey water tank nice and clean too!
Richard & Sharon, Harley & Scruffy (our cool cats)
2011 DRV 43' customized Elite Denver model
2005 FL Century ("Maverick") by Wayland (2L Custom Trucks)
...truck swooshes by Precision Paint
Photo taken at our sticks and bricks home in CO
Posted Image

#7 PETE & PAT

PETE & PAT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1149 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

I agree with everyone else. No antibacterial cleaners or soaps here. I was using Scrubbing Bubbles after reading on here that many use it to clean their showers and toilets. No More - Read the label. It is anti-bacterial, so don't want that down in the tanks to stop the natural breakdown of stuff. The best thing I have found to clean the acrylic shower surround and glass (inside the shower) is ---- plain ole clear shampoo (White Rain). It is cheap (think dollar stores or save-a-lot) and removes soap scum and leave everything shining and clean. The outside of the shower is cleaned with window cleaner.
The toilet, I'm still experimenting with various cleaners to find what works best.

Pat DeJong

#8 Rick & Karen

Rick & Karen

• Validated Members
  • 419 posts
  • SKP#:98156

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

I agree with everyone else. No antibacterial cleaners or soaps here. I was using Scrubbing Bubbles after reading on here that many use it to clean their showers and toilets. No More - Read the label. It is anti-bacterial, so don't want that down in the tanks to stop the natural breakdown of stuff. The best thing I have found to clean the acrylic shower surround and glass (inside the shower) is ---- plain ole clear shampoo (White Rain). It is cheap (think dollar stores or save-a-lot) and removes soap scum and leave everything shining and clean. The outside of the shower is cleaned with window cleaner.
The toilet, I'm still experimenting with various cleaners to find what works best.

To clean our black tank after dumping we have been using a capful of the cheapest detergent we can find and a capful of Calgon Water Softener with about 2 gallons or so of water. Dump in through the toilet and let it slosh around while driving down the road. No odors, ever. Even when we are stationary for more than a week we still use if after dumping. It has been call the Geo Method but we just call it 'the recipe'.

Safe travels,
Karen
2006 Arctic Fox 32.5 Silver Edition fiver
2001 Dodge 1 ton Dually with Mods
2005 Ranger Bass Boat;
Blog site is www.mytripjournal.com/ontheroadwithrickandkaren

#9 JM

JM

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2321 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

My girlfriend and I both have new puppies and they love sliding doors and windows so we are constantly cleaning. This past season we were in Mesa, AZ and went to the Mesa Market. We picked up some Crystal Klear Microfiber Clothes just water and wipe; no soaps or cleaners and windows, mirrors come out clean and streak free. Don't know if just any microfiber cloth would work these are very thin and stiff until run under water. To clean you can just throw in the wash no fabric softeners and air dry. I was skeptical but now have one under each sink for quick window & mirror cleanings.

#10 kingskids

kingskids

• Validated Members
  • 488 posts
  • SKP#:107761

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

Hmmm... those microfiber cloths sound interesting. I've used just rubbing alcohol for years for windows and mirrors, but have recently discovered that the 91% strength works way better than the 70% (the "lower octane" one tends to streak a little, but the higher one works great) - and alcohol is a lot cheaper than window cleaner and less toxic! Will now learn more about the microfiber - looks promising for this "chemical free" gal!
Richard & Sharon, Harley & Scruffy (our cool cats)
2011 DRV 43' customized Elite Denver model
2005 FL Century ("Maverick") by Wayland (2L Custom Trucks)
...truck swooshes by Precision Paint
Photo taken at our sticks and bricks home in CO
Posted Image

#11 JBT

JBT

• Banned Users
  • 271 posts
  • SKP#:111300

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Have to say I agree, I got the flu shot for years, military required it, but haven't touched it since I became free. Use to argue with my MIL, she was a major clean freak, and caught every illness that came around. Wooden cutting boards are the only way to go, nature has a way of taking car of us if we let her.

#12 Trudi

Trudi

• Validated Members
  • 31 posts
  • SKP#:110736

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

I actually use Melaleuca products that are all natural. The Sol-u-Gard botanical uses the natural power of thyme. The products are awesome!!! I can clean the shower and not affect my asthma. they are all safe for the environment as well.

Dan and Trudi
Full-time RVing since 6/16/2012 and loving it!
2012 Dodge Ram Diesel 6.7 2500 w/exhaust brake
2005 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 33RL
Doggies - Molli and Indi
Hamster - Buddy

Posted Image