Tough Top RV awning

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky B

Rocky B

• Validated Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hoping for insight from the people in the know. The fabric on my slide toppers got ripped from the last excursion with the kiddos. Carefree of colorado was the original awning, researching on the web and got directed into the Tough Top Replacement fabric web site. Has anyone used this company and any comments???? The quoted price from the dealerships are as usual more than the price of the product. I thank you in advance for the helpful tipsPosted ImagePosted Image

#2 AFChap

AFChap

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3288 posts
  • SKP#:83500

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

I removed the Toppers and took them to a local awning company ...they also make boat covers. Measured what I had, I chose new material, they removed the rubber piping from the old and sewed it into the new fabric they stitched to size. It came out much less than Carefree quoted, and they wanted product numbers that were long gone off the original "to know the right size."
Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E
'05 Honda Odyssey
Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART
http://www.pjrider.com

#3 Rocky B

Rocky B

• Validated Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

That seem like another very good option. The dealerships were all asking about the product number.I had turned that thing upside down and I could not find anything.

I removed the Toppers and took them to a local awning company ...they also make boat covers. Measured what I had, I chose new material, they removed the rubber piping from the old and sewed it into the new fabric they stitched to size. It came out much less than Carefree quoted, and they wanted product numbers that were long gone off the original "to know the right size."

#4 paz

paz

• Validated Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

Hoping for insight from the people in the know. The fabric on my slide toppers got ripped from the last excursion with the kiddos. Carefree of colorado was the original awning, researching on the web and got directed into the Tough Top Replacement fabric web site. Has anyone used this company and any comments???? The quoted price from the dealerships are as usual more than the price of the product. I thank you in advance for the helpful tipsPosted ImagePosted Image

We replaced our slide topper fabric with Tough Tops last fall. Their website tells you how to measure. There were instructions in the box plus a video on the website on how to install.

New toppers arrived in about a week. Fabric is heavier than the original A&E material so it doesn't flap as much with the wind. I recommend their product.

2005 Allegro Bay 37DB
2006 Saturn Vue toad

Check out our blog - Living Our Dream

#5 DonF

DonF

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1115 posts
  • SKP#:103279

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

NICE to learn about awning & slide-topper fabric replacement alternative to CW, A&E & Carefree! Thanx!

-Don

Don & Fannie

2005 Volvo 670, 12sp FreedomLine, "Black Dude", 3.36 axle, Szmyt Wonder-Smart loader,
ET hitch, Jackalopee (original-prototype), BLUE-DOT air-over-hydraulic brake system,
2007 New Horizons F35RLSSS-C (Mor/Ryde-IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 17.5 H tires),
2005 smart fortwo passion

#6 Rocky B

Rocky B

• Validated Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Got the invoice $296 for both slide toppers. Dealer wants close to a grand installed. I think Im gonna keep the money for fuel and take the kids to see Lady Liberty.. :-):-):-)