• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 mopips

mopips

• Validated Members
  • 77 posts
  • SKP#:102575

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

I just bought a used RV. 2003 Newmar Mtn Aire. I'm in the process of sanitizing the fresh water tank, but I can't find where or how to drain the tank. I bought it from a widow, and she knows very little about such things. Her DH took care of that. Can anyone out there give me some help? Or do I just have to pump the water into the grey tank and drain it?

'98 Volvo, '03 Newmar Mountain Aire 5er,
'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time

photo-25557.jpg?__rand=0.62441800+135093

#2 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2181 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

There should be a drain valve. Where it is on your rig, I don't know.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#3 mptjelgin

mptjelgin

• Validated Members
  • 323 posts
  • SKP#:094494

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

We have had three different trailers, and the drain valve was in a different place on each. It may take some poking around, but it is usually going to be accessable from the outside. On our last trailer is was located inside a storage area with in a group of three valves near the fresh water fill port. One valve drained the cold water lines, a second drained the hot water lines, and a third drained the freshwater tank. These were small "pop-up" type valves. On our current trailer the fresh water drain is an isolated valve located on the underside of the trailer, but reachable from the side. This one is a more conventional looking "quarter-turn" valve.

Good luck in your search!

Mark
Mark & Teri
2012 NuWa Hitchhiker DA 330 FK, 2010 Ford F-350
RV travelers and volunteers

Mark & Teri's Travels

#4 Mr. Dave

Mr. Dave

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 790 posts
  • SKP#:105185

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Our MH has the Waterworks panel at the fill location. There is a diagram on the panel for different functions. By turning the 4 valves to the correct position, you then drain the system. It's that easy. Hope this is of some help.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

#5 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20290 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Look first near the fresh water tank, or below it. If you go under the RV you can probably locate the drain tube(s) and follow back up and toward the tank to locate it. There are probably also low point drains for both the hot and cold water lines. If you need it, there is a detailed description of how to do the job at this webpage.

Edited by Kirk, 25 April 2012 - 05:48 PM.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#6 mopips

mopips

• Validated Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for the replies. I looked all around underneath, and could find no drain or valve. Even tried the low point drain, but was only successful at draining the water lines. Still had water in the tank. I called Newmar customer service. The tech there gave me some places to look, but no go. He also told me that some of the older models had tto be pumped out. So, after running the whole fresh water tank into the grey water tank with the bleach solution, then rinsing it a couple of times, I'm sanitized. Thanks again for trying.

'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time

#7 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20290 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

I'd suggest that you keep an eye out for similar aged Newmar coaches and when you see one, ask the owner about it. I would bet that there is one there, but we just can't find it. I know that a friend's Newmar had one back in 1999. Someone will know eventually.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#8 TCW

TCW

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2108 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

If you have an outside shower or hose, use that if you do not want to pump all the water through the gray tank.

Chevy 2500 Duramax, Aspen Trail 2910

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

#9 mopips

mopips

• Validated Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

I'd suggest that you keep an eye out for similar aged Newmar coaches and when you see one, ask the owner about it. I would bet that there is one there, but we just can't find it. I know that a friend's Newmar had one back in 1999. Someone will know eventually.

Kirk,

You can bet I'll be on the lookout for a similar 5th wheel in the future.

No outside shower either.

'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time

#10 mopips

mopips

• Validated Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Our MH has the Waterworks panel at the fill location. There is a diagram on the panel for different functions. By turning the 4 valves to the correct position, you then drain the system. It's that easy. Hope this is of some help.

YREKA ! I have found it. Mr. Dave you were right. It is at the "water works" area. A small 1/4 turn valve hidden under the downward projecting water filter. I might add that it is unmarked. Drains through a small, probably 1/2" tube, next to the low point drains.
Thanks again for the help. The forum works.

'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time