• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 RV Kids

RV Kids

• Validated Members
  • 9 posts
  • SKP#:85757

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

We are excited about our very first workamping position. We were just accepted for a volunteer position in the Yellowstone National Park with National Park Service for the season. Is anyone else heading to Yellowstone NP for the season? For those who have workamped in Yellowstone NP, do you have any suggestions or hints?

Many thanks & Happy Trails,

Tom & Debbie - The RV KIDS
W3TOM - KA3VNF

Currently in Accokeek, Maryland

#2 firedoc

firedoc

• Validated Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

We are excited about our very first workamping position. We were just accepted for a volunteer position in the Yellowstone National Park with National Park Service for the season. Is anyone else heading to Yellowstone NP for the season? For those who have workamped in Yellowstone NP, do you have any suggestions or hints?

W3TOM - KA3VNF

Would be very interested to hear your feelings on the position after you have arrived. What are your duties supposed to be. We are currently volunteering at a steelhead hatchery in Idaho (actually not too far from West Yellowstone and have considered applying for Yellowstone-have never been there :huh:

06 38L Bounder 300hp Cat
2012 GMC Terrain
Started FT 2011

#3 TCW

TCW

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2213 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

...For those who have workamped in Yellowstone NP, do you have any suggestions or hints?

W3TOM - KA3VNF

Although it was many years ago, I have worked for the concessions, volunteered and worked as a Park Service Employee in Yellowstone. I have also visited the park several times in the past four years. There are other members of this forum that have worked for the concessions, one that I know of at Fishing Bridge, and others that visit almost every year. What kind of information are you looking for? Things to see, places to go? Where are you working?

Edited by TCW, 24 April 2012 - 04:35 PM.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

#4 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 22206 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

We have friends who did volunteer maintenance positions in Yellowstone every summer for more than five years. They had high praise for the positions. There also used to be another "Kirk" who contributed to this forum who spent summers in Yellowstone as a paid, seasonal park ranger, and winters in Everglades NP. but I have not seen him on the forums in a couple of years. I think that there is also someone on the forums who has worked in the book store in Yellowstone.

We have spent a lot of time in the park over the years and have volunteered very near to the park, but not in it.

Edited by Kirk, 24 April 2012 - 08:43 PM.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#5 wereoffagain

wereoffagain

• Validated Members
  • 100 posts
  • SKP#:70593

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

It has been a decade ago for us but we also volunteered at Yellowstone NP. We were campground hosts in Canyon campground and there wasn't a day that went by that we didn't feel lucky to be there. We loved going around talking to the "campers", answering questions and giving ideas of what to see during their stay. When we started we had a couple of pair of practically "Mickey Mouse" binoculars. When we left we had great binoculars and a powerful scope. We used almost all our free time looking at the wild life and sharing our binoculars and scope with anyone who wanted to look. The rangers know and will tell you where to see rare owls, eagles nesting, wolves with pups and other wonderful creatures to see from a distance.
Our recommendation. Enjoy and explore as much as you can. We got a list of picnic areas in the park and made it a practice to have a picnic in a "new to us" picnic area a couple of times a week. Adopt the park as your "own". Try to help each visitor have the best time there because sharing the wonder with a "first timer" keeps your perspective in the high enjoyment range. Yellowstone has "WEATHER", be prepared. We carried non-perishable food in the trunk...crackers, peanut butter, and bottled water as we frequently found ourselves in a wonderful place that we didn't want to leave to go get something to eat. Be well and Safe travels, Ann and Jerry 27' MB Lazy Daze http://fulltimeusa.com/

#6 Pa and D Carson

Pa and D Carson

• Validated Members
  • 451 posts
  • SKP#:103499

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

RV Kids

D and I will be about 100 miles south of you. We are camp host for BLM at Warren Bridge. It is on the green river and US 191. We will be there May 12.

Good luck and have fun.

event.png

Glyn (KL0PG) & Diane Carson
2002 I-H 4400 Papa's Dream (Mama's Nightmare)
2005 38 ft. Jayco Designer
Furkid  Max

email: dlcarsonak@hotmail.com

#7 OTT

OTT

• Validated Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

W3TOM - KA3VNF

#8 OTT

OTT

• Validated Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

RV Kids, I spent the last 2 summers just outside the Park in th Shoshone Nat. Forest hosting. This year I will be at Colter c/g in the Gallitan Nat. Forest just outside Cooke City Mt. I applied with the YNP for the position at Lewis Lake but did not get it. We love the the Park so anywhere around it is super. It is a great opportunity to be around the park, have fun. Where will you be?

#9 RV Kids

RV Kids

• Validated Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

Would be very interested to hear your feelings on the position after you have arrived. What are your duties supposed to be. We are currently volunteering at a steelhead hatchery in Idaho (actually not too far from West Yellowstone and have considered applying for Yellowstone-have never been there :huh:

Firedoc,

Yes, it will be interesting to see if the position matches our expectations. I will be working with the law enforce folks and look forward to visiting the Steelhead Hatchery sometime through out the season. When did you arrive at the hatchery?
Good Luck!

W3TOM - KA3VNF

#10 RV Kids

RV Kids

• Validated Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

Although it was many years ago, I have worked for the concessions, volunteered and worked as a Park Service Employee in Yellowstone. I have also visited the park several times in the past four years. There are other members of this forum that have worked for the concessions, one that I know of at Fishing Bridge, and others that visit almost every year. What kind of information are you looking for? Things to see, places to go? Where are you working?

TWC,

Any tips would be appreciated. Someone mentioned that early in the season we should plan on using our internal water tank due to the freezing that occurs as Yellowstone has only 30 days a year without frost.

Tips of things to see and places to go would also be most welcomed. We are going to be working at Old Faithful.

Thanks!

W3TOM - KA3VNF

#11 RV Kids

RV Kids

• Validated Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

We have friends who did volunteer maintenance positions in Yellowstone every summer for more than five years. They had high praise for the positions. There also used to be another "Kirk" who contributed to this forum who spent summers in Yellowstone as a paid, seasonal park ranger, and winters in Everglades NP. but I have not seen him on the forums in a couple of years. I think that there is also someone on the forums who has worked in the book store in Yellowstone.

We have spent a lot of time in the park over the years and have volunteered very near to the park, but not in it.

Kirk,

Sounds like the "other" Kirk had a wonderful life style between Yellowstone and the Everglades every year. The best of both worlds.

With all of the seasonal folks working in and around Yellowstone every year, we figured some might find our message here.

It is great hear from you. For many years we have followed yours and Pam's volunteering adventures in hope of enjoying our own someday. Your webpage has been so very helpful in our planning efforts.

Our someday is now. After getting too many miles out of our system over the past 3 years (Florida-Alaska-Florida and driving coast to coast at least twice a year) we have decided to slow down and do some of the volunteering as we had originally planned. We want to give back for all of the enjoyment the National Park Service has provided us over the years. Yellowstone was our first choice and we got lucky. We are excited to get started on our volunteering adventures.

Happy Trails,

W3TOM - KA3VNF

#12 RV Kids

RV Kids

• Validated Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

It has been a decade ago for us but we also volunteered at Yellowstone NP. We were campground hosts in Canyon campground and there wasn't a day that went by that we didn't feel lucky to be there. We loved going around talking to the "campers", answering questions and giving ideas of what to see during their stay. When we started we had a couple of pair of practically "Mickey Mouse" binoculars. When we left we had great binoculars and a powerful scope. We used almost all our free time looking at the wild life and sharing our binoculars and scope with anyone who wanted to look. The rangers know and will tell you where to see rare owls, eagles nesting, wolves with pups and other wonderful creatures to see from a distance.
Our recommendation. Enjoy and explore as much as you can. We got a list of picnic areas in the park and made it a practice to have a picnic in a "new to us" picnic area a couple of times a week. Adopt the park as your "own". Try to help each visitor have the best time there because sharing the wonder with a "first timer" keeps your perspective in the high enjoyment range. Yellowstone has "WEATHER", be prepared. We carried non-perishable food in the trunk...crackers, peanut butter, and bottled water as we frequently found ourselves in a wonderful place that we didn't want to leave to go get something to eat. Be well and Safe travels, Ann and Jerry 27' MB Lazy Daze http://fulltimeusa.com/

Ann & Jerry,

Many thanks for sharing. It sounds like you really enjoyed your time in Yellowstone NP. We currently have 2 great sets of binoculars, however your suggestion of a powerful scope is also excellent. I bet a quality powerful scope will come in handy for wildlife viewing throughout the season. We enjoy photography and look forward to all of the opportunities to capture spectacular images while hiking and traveling around the park. The Yellowstone NP will make for a nice backyard for us for the season.

Your idea of "new to us" picnics a couple times a week sounds like fun and a great way to discover the park. Our plan is to spend as much time as we can soaking up everything.

Yellowstone weather... If isn't raining it is snowing, especially when we arrive in May... Your tip on carrying non-perishable food is most appreciated and we will plan to do so.

You folks enjoy your adventure to Alaska. In 2010 we were fortunate to spend 3 1/2 months in Alaska taking our time to explore most of the state that was assessable by road. We even drove in our Jeep the 1,000 miles round trip on mostly dirt to Deadhorse to visit the Arctic Ocean. (On June 18, 1,200 miles from THE North Pole, the windchill on the shore of the Arctic Ocean was -15 degrees. brrrr) Take your time and enjoy.

Many thanks for the tips!

Happy Trails and Safe Journeys,

W3TOM - KA3VNF

30' IB Laze Daze

http://www.mytripjou...m/FallandWinter

#13 RV Kids

RV Kids

• Validated Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

RV Kids

D and I will be about 100 miles south of you. We are camp host for BLM at Warren Bridge. It is on the green river and US 191. We will be there May 12.

Good luck and have fun.

It sounds like fun! As you arrive on May 12 I wonder if the camp will be snow covered? <G>

Good luck & have fun!

W3TOM - KA3VNF

30' IB Laze Daze

http://www.mytripjou...m/FallandWinter

#14 firedoc

firedoc

• Validated Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

Firedoc,

Yes, it will be interesting to see if the position matches our expectations. I will be working with the law enforce folks and look forward to visiting the Steelhead Hatchery sometime through out the season. When did you arrive at the hatchery?
Good Luck!

W3TOM - KA3VNF

RV Kids

Have a GREAT time. Were you in law enforcement in your previous life? The hatchery we are at is in Idaho, a couple hundred miles from Y but closer than we were in California at our last volunteer site. We arrived here the first week of April and will be here until September so we get to experience the full range of activity here. We give tours to the public, feed the fish, help load them in the tankers and deliver them to the Salmon River above Sun Valley. Unfortunately there was a tragic death of one of the staff here. We were asked if we could help pick up the load. We of course said yes, anything for the team. Having a Great time. Enjoy your time in Y. We might visit you. Did you say you were at Old Faithful?

Edited by firedoc, 03 May 2012 - 08:57 AM.

06 38L Bounder 300hp Cat
2012 GMC Terrain
Started FT 2011

#15 TCW

TCW

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2213 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

TWC,

Any tips would be appreciated. Someone mentioned that early in the season we should plan on using our internal water tank due to the freezing that occurs as Yellowstone has only 30 days a year without frost.

Tips of things to see and places to go would also be most welcomed. We are going to be working at Old Faithful.

Thanks!

W3TOM - KA3VNF

How much effort you need to expend in trying to prevent lines from freezing will depend in part on the type of connection. If it is one of the below grade valve, lift handle connections, disconnecting and draining your hose should be enough. If is is a standard hose bib with no heat tape or insulation it might freeze in addition to any hoses connected to it. Old Faithful is one of the warmer locations in the park, I would discuss the issue with the other workampers and any employees living in RVs and follow their advise.

From Old Faithful, West Yellowstone, Idaho and the Tetons will be the most convenient to explore. Lots to see and do. If you are working 10 on 4 off, Cody, WY is a great town with a rodeo and the Buffalo Bill Museum Complex. From Cody a loop on the Chief Joseph and Beartooth Scenic Byways is a great way to spend a day. Spring and Fall, the Lamar Valley seems to be a hotbed for wildlife activity.

If you are a fly fisherman, try Slough Creek. If possible hike to the third meadow near the Park's North boundary. If you want fish to eat, try the Gibon, Gardiner or Indian Creek for Brook Trout which you can keep.

#16 RV Kids

RV Kids

• Validated Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

How much effort you need to expend in trying to prevent lines from freezing will depend in part on the type of connection. If it is one of the below grade valve, lift handle connections, disconnecting and draining your hose should be enough. If is is a standard hose bib with no heat tape or insulation it might freeze in addition to any hoses connected to it. Old Faithful is one of the warmer locations in the park, I would discuss the issue with the other workampers and any employees living in RVs and follow their advise.

From Old Faithful, West Yellowstone, Idaho and the Tetons will be the most convenient to explore. Lots to see and do. If you are working 10 on 4 off, Cody, WY is a great town with a rodeo and the Buffalo Bill Museum Complex. From Cody a loop on the Chief Joseph and Beartooth Scenic Byways is a great way to spend a day. Spring and Fall, the Lamar Valley seems to be a hotbed for wildlife activity.

If you are a fly fisherman, try Slough Creek. If possible hike to the third meadow near the Park's North boundary. If you want fish to eat, try the Gibon, Gardiner or Indian Creek for Brook Trout which you can keep.

TWC,

GREAT tips and information.

Many thanks!

W3TOM - KA3VNF

#17 RLAWyo

RLAWyo

• Validated Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

Good luck on your endeavor. It is my dream in the very near future to work the park. I am leaning towards Xanterra for a little extra income. We visit at least 5 times a summer, always camp just east of the park and drive in.
Arctic Fox 24-5n
Dodge 2500 quad cab
6.7cummins

#18 RLAWyo

RLAWyo

• Validated Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

I carry a ziess 65 mm 15-35 power spotting scope. You don't have to go that high dollar, but spring for a window mount, a decent tripod and compare angled as well as straight tubes. I prefer the straight tube, as it works well on the window mount. Anything over 35 power can be a waist as heat waves will distort your view anyway. I have pair of 10x50 bino's and a 8x30 model Both work well for viewing. I can hold my digital camera steady on the lense of my spotting scope and take zoomed in pictures. I takes a little practice but works. Once your in the park, a nice days drive is to Billings MT and there is lots to see there, plus no sales tax. A trip to Scheels or Cabelas you can look for a spotting scope.

Edited by RLAWyo, 03 May 2012 - 06:17 PM.

Arctic Fox 24-5n
Dodge 2500 quad cab
6.7cummins

#19 sonomalake

sonomalake

• Validated Members
  • 377 posts
  • SKP#:97754

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

We camp hosted in Bakers Hole, a NFS campground in the Gallatin National Forest three miles north of West Yellowstone in 2010. Great summer!! Never ran the AC, had a little heat most mornings. Snow in late April but none in September. We were right on the Madison River in the spawning section. Great fishing. In Montana you can keep some and use the bait you prefer. In the park it is fly fishing only, barbless hooks and catch and release. I did both. Great area, great position, lots of wildlife, great plays in West Yellowstone. Be sure to check out attractions outside the NP also. Johny Sack's cabin, the Earthquake center, Virginia City, Red Lodge, Cody are all worth a day trip or weekend if you have it. Enjoy a wonderful summer in Yellowstone.
sonomalake SKP097754
Knowledge is a wonderful thing. Life experience is even better!!

#20 TCW

TCW

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2213 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:53 AM

"In the park it is fly fishing only, barbless hooks and catch and release."

This is not completely accurate. There are areas where artificial lures can be used and areas where non-native (rainbow, brown and brook trout) species can be kept. On Yellowstone Lake, all Lake Trout must be killed whether you want to keep them or not. Some of the other lakes have special regulations. If your interested in fishing you need to read the regulations for yourself. You can read and download the park regulations from their website and get a printed copy at most of the visitor centers.