Ft. Dix to MCB Quantico

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 StarlifterFE

StarlifterFE

• Validated Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

I am in the process of planning our route from Joint Base Dix/McGuire, NJ to Marine Corps Base Quantico. Goggle maps has us going straight down 95/895 through Baltimore and Washington, DC. That route would take us through a Harbor Tunnel in Baltimore. Then in the Washington area, we would be using the Anacostia Fwy.

Even tough we have never driven in that area, I don't think that route is the smartest way to go. We will be traveling on a Friday and pulling a 38 ft. 5'er.

Can some of you east coast folks recommend a better way to get through that area?

Thanks!

StarlifterFE
Retired USAF C-141 Flight Enginner
Full-Timers
2007 GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison
2011 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon

#2 Roy & Ann

Roy & Ann

• Validated Members
  • 124 posts
  • SKP#:095017

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

I am in the process of planning our route from Joint Base Dix/McGuire, NJ to Marine Corps Base Quantico. Goggle maps has us going straight down 95/895 through Baltimore and Washington, DC. That route would take us through a Harbor Tunnel in Baltimore. Then in the Washington area, we would be using the Anacostia Fwy.

Even tough we have never driven in that area, I don't think that route is the smartest way to go. We will be traveling on a Friday and pulling a 38 ft. 5'er.

Can some of you east coast folks recommend a better way to get through that area?

Thanks!

Being from NYC and having a 36ft 5er I have taken this route many times going to Washington DC and Florida. I am not sure where Joint Base Dix/McGuire, is so I am not sure where you would get on 95 or where exactly where Quantico is other than it is in Virginia.

What I do is go down the NJ turnpike, which at that point is 95, follow the signs to Delaware memorial bridge. Do not take 95 to Philadelphia. Get back on 95 in Delaware. As you approach Baltimore take I-695 East around Baltimore across the Key bridge. That is the only way you can go if you have propane tanks. Stay on 695 until you get back onto 95. When you approach Washington take I-495 (Beltway) East around Washington and get back on 95. Take 95 south until you see the exit for Quantico.

Hopes this helps

Roy

2005 New Horizons 36ft 5th/upgrades-Generator, Disk Brakes, Solar Package, Inverter. and more
2008 Ford F450 crew cab DRW

K3ROY
http://www.roanontheroad.blogspot.com/

#3 trailertraveler

trailertraveler

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

From Fort Dix, I would take I-295 South to the Delaware Memorial Bridge rather than the NJ Turnpike. They run pretty much side by side and there is no toll on I-295. No toll on the Bridge leaving NJ either. There are some pretty hefty tolls on I-95 in Delaware and Maryland, You can not take propane through the Baltimore tunnels. You need to take I-695 East which has a toll bridge, or I-695 West which is more miles.

If you do not mind some local driving, you can avoid all of the tolls, the beltway around Baltimore and most of the DC beltway by picking up US-301 South near Newark Delaware to US-50 West to the DC I-495 beltway. There is a toll bridge at Annapolis but the tolls are collected East Bound..

#4 SIBERNUT

SIBERNUT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2783 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Ditto the key bridge. Most nav programs try to send you around the D&C beltway on the west side. We travel that way a lot, and I always use east 495 over the Wilson bridge when going 95 south from there. If you have EZ Pass, use the 2 left lanes in the delaware toll, they are full speed lanes & delaware can be a PITA at the toll booth w/backups.
Wave when you pass Rt 43 White Marsh exit, I'll look for ya !

2000 Volvo 610 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobuc.../?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Nooka & CH. Sedona
dolphins.jpg

#5 whj

whj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 898 posts
  • SKP#:106033

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

When I last passed that way, you couldn't take propane through the Harbor Tunnel.
That may have changed? Please be careful and have a great trip.

#6 Claudia & Wayne

Claudia & Wayne

• Validated Members
  • 389 posts
  • SKP#:98714

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Since you will be driving through DC-metro area on a Friday, if you aren't pressed for time, you might want to consider this:

Take the Pennsylvania Turnpike West to where you jump on I-81 South.

Head to Winchester, Virginia and stay at Candy Hill Campround, often staffed by Esacapees.
http://www.candyhill.com/ .

Then work your way South on US 17 to I-95 North near Fredericksburg, Virgina. (To get on I-95 North you'll cloverleaf on the right up onto the road).

As for camping when you get to Quantico (going to the USMC musuem right?) the folks at Candy Hill or at the USMC museum
http://www.usmcmuseum.com/index.asp can offer places.

PM me if you want a concrete place to park (water & electric but no sewer dump) I have room for your rig.

Sincerely, C&W

Claudia & Wayne
Lifetime 98714

45' of Newmar dragging around a Crown Vic

#7 j2catfish

j2catfish

• Validated Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

Should you decide to stay at the MCB Quantico RV park, make sure that you have extra extention cable (I think they only have 30 amp) and also extra water hose. The RV park was designed for mostly tents back in the day and are arranged kinda goofy for RVs. The RV park (Lunga Reservior)is convinent to the Museum and all the on base stuff. The pesky deer will wander throughout your camping area tho. Be aware of them when driving at night.
Semper Fi,
Catfish
'08 Chebbie K3500; '07 Teton Sunrise Experience;
Native Texan/Transplanted Tarheel; Retired USMC

#8 Doug7155

Doug7155

• Validated Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

Quantico Famcamp is nice. I'd do the I-81 route.

#9 trailertraveler

trailertraveler

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

The PA turnpike to I-81 route will add 120+ miles to the trip from Fort Dix to Quantico.The PA turnpike can be pretty busy from the NJ bridge to the Valley Forge exit (I-76) during rush hour.

Edited by trailertraveler, 26 April 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#10 StarlifterFE

StarlifterFE

• Validated Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thank y'all for all the information. A very special thanks to Claudia & Wayne for the parking offer.
We are a little pressed for time on the trip from Ft. Dix to Quantico and will probably use the more direct route down. I will try to get through Baltimore before lunch and then DC before 4PM.
We have reservations at Lunga Park for six days and will carry a 25 ft extension cord and extra water hoses.
Joyce and I are looking forward to visiting the MC Museum while we are there. I wouldn't miss that for anything!
We are planning on riding the train into DC several times. Any info on where to get on the train, parking and passes would be greatly appreciated.

StarlifterFE
Full-Timers

#11 just enuf

just enuf

• Validated Members
  • 10 posts
  • SKP#:110938

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

Since you're retired military, I'm wondering why you wouldn't consider staying at the Military Camp Ground at Andrews AFB for your trips into Washington? I understand that the rail system is right outside the base gate. I'm not personally aquainted with that situation, but from reading the Military Campground information, it seems like a pretty good deal.
Jim & Sue (SKP #110938)
with Ginger and Spice
1998 Volvo VNL 610 (488K Mi) - Cummins N14ESP+ - Eaton Fuller 10 speed
2009 Cardinal 3450RL LX 5th Wheel

#12 sfischer

sfischer

• Validated Members
  • 255 posts
  • SKP#:95240

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

If you're going to hit Washington, DC and I-95 south on a Friday you want to be very near Quantico by at least 2 PM. If you wait until 4 PM, you'll be able to enjoy the sights along the interstate, because you'll probably be able to get out of your rig and walk quicker. Heaven forbid there are accidents or something else along that stretch south of DC. Fridays can be very "trying".

Steve and Karen
Fulltimers as of October 31, 2012
GoneByRV

2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH on a Powerglide Chassis

2012 Honda Fit Sport

#13 StarlifterFE

StarlifterFE

• Validated Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Since you're retired military, I'm wondering why you wouldn't consider staying at the Military Camp Ground at Andrews AFB for your trips into Washington? I understand that the rail system is right outside the base gate. I'm not personally aquainted with that situation, but from reading the Military Campground information, it seems like a pretty good deal.

I made the reservations at Quantico with the understanding that Andrews didn't take reservations. It seems they have changed the policy so I'll call them at the appropriate time; 4 months in advance of arrival. Thanks for reminding me. It pays to double check your research!

StarlifterFE
Full-Timers