• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 vmarr

vmarr

• Validated Members
  • 412 posts
  • SKP#:97455

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

I know I read about doing this on here someplace, but I looked, and can't find it again. I'm registered in NE, for all my health care. The problem is we only make it here is in April, the rest of the time we're here there and everywhere. We spend a lot of time in Virginia though, and I was thinking maybe I need to register there too. I don't want to loose Nebraska as my permanent facility, just have it as a kind of if I need it it's there place. What does everyone else do ? Thanks
08 Fleetwood Excursion, me, ex farmer, DW, retired (RN), and Bow, Lilly, and Little Bit the mutts

#2 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2181 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

When I landed in Tucson last Dec they told me I could not be registered in more than one VAMC aka have a Primary Care at more than one VAMC. I'm good with that. If I ever head somewhere else and need VA care I will go to the ER and let things progress from there. Its a simple thing to move from VA to VA. Everything is on the computer system now.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#3 JoeandMarcia

JoeandMarcia

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2293 posts
  • SKP#:97020

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

You will need to register at ANY VA facility you go to. I keep the VA in Lexington as my primary, but I do go to any of the others across the US if I need to.
Chasing the 70's

You can follow us using My link

I may not know what town I will be sleeping in,
But I know I'll be sleeping in MY bed.

#4 Cyberdave

Cyberdave

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 772 posts
  • SKP#:105320

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

You can register at any VA hospital anywhere.
You have one VA hospital that is your "primary" hospital and I was told by the Houston VA that I needed to have an address in their coverage area in order to be assigned to the Houston VA as my primary.
Dave & Tish
Beagles Bagle & Snoopy
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

"I went through a door but forget what was on the other side. I would go through it again but I forgot which door it is."

#5 Ron and Laine

Ron and Laine

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

You will need to register at ANY VA facility you go to. I keep the VA in Lexington as my primary, but I do go to any of the others across the US if I need to.

+1 My Primary is also Lexington, KY and I have visited Va's in Key West, Miami, Melbourne, FL, Fort Campbell,KY, Marine Logistics Base Albany, GA and a few more that I can't remember where. Just remember when you go back to your primary Care doctor, let them know you have been treated at other placed and the files are stored in what they call a Satellite file.

Ron
US Army retired
Leo, Shitzu/Lhasa Apso
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

#6 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20310 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

When I first registered, it was in CA while there for the winter and when I did it again in Florida I discovered that I had been listed as a CA vet, even though at that time I was not under VA medical care. Since I did not stay to retire and was not disabled, my registration was mostly for future use and to establish my record, so it was not that important. When we bought our home-base, I then went to the nearest VA clinic and registered once more, moving my primary registration to the north TX area, and this time I was also approved for medical care, with a copay. One year later I went back through the process again here in north Texas and this time was approved for full health care without any copay.

I was told that should I need medical care, I can visit any VA clinic or hospital in the country and receive it there, but without moving my registration to that clinic. Since I have not done so, I can only repeat what I was told, just two weeks ago.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#7 irish

irish

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

Leo was told the same thing as Kirk just a few weeks ago at his first intake screening.

#8 bigjim

bigjim

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1460 posts
  • SKP#:46429

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

They are very confused at times and they don't always play well together.

I am "registered" at Albuquerque and Memphis. I am seen most in Albq. but I make sure I see someone at Memphis at least once a year to stay in their system. A few years ago I needed surgery on a tumor and decided to get it done in Memphis as I have 3 daughters and grandkids there and one of the daughters is a nurse in the solid tumor clinic at St. Jude. I had to "transfer" Memphis VA as my primary then when I went back to Albq. I had to transfer/designate them as my primary again. There is I lot more I could go on about but I think you get the gist from what I have said. I find it a little frustrating that with there big computer records push they can not make this easier. I am honest and I have copays plus medicare and a co insurance that picks up a lot of the copay. They can not bill medicare for any of the copay amount. They can take so long to process stuff that I sometimes get a bill that I really won't owe. About 2 years ago I got one for 1-cent overdue and a $15. administrative charge for being late. Last year I got one in time for 4-cents but I was going in for an appointment so I stopped by the pay window and tole the lady I was paying it all in pennies as a protest. :) :) She at least pretended to think I had made a funny. In Nov. I got a pacemaker and 1 night in hospital for which I got a bill for over $1200. copay that would be paid by co insurance. To avoided the dreaded administrative fee I sent in a small payment then last month I got almost all of it back as an over payment. Damn ain't it fun to play. BTW I have been told that if they owe me one penny they have to send it back to me in a check. I am also told that this can vary from VA sytem to VA system.

#9 vmarr

vmarr

• Validated Members
  • 412 posts
  • SKP#:97455

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

Bigjim, you should have gave them a nickel so they'd a had to give you change.
08 Fleetwood Excursion, me, ex farmer, DW, retired (RN), and Bow, Lilly, and Little Bit the mutts