Scam or Real

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 mdjmsmith

mdjmsmith

• All Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'm trying to sell our motorhome due to my husband's work schedule. I received an inquiry from a man in KY who it seems is representing his client. He asked about 10 general questions including "Have you ever sold a RV before and what is your experience?" Then today he asked about four more general questions which included "Where exactly is your RV located including prescriptions and directions from a major airport and What is your mailing address, not P.O Box"

He continued on saying that he would send a sale agreement with earnest after I answered the above questions. My concern comes in from a paragraph with instructions he left that opened up a red flag.

1.) He uses the phrase "My Client"
2.) I will send you earnest money and funds for inspections and delivery service fee and you will pay them."

Would you please review the below paragraph and give me your opinion, does it sound like a scam to you and what should I do?

As soon as I hear back from you, I will discuss the arrangement of the earnest payment, the inspection/delivery fees and also the final payment with my client. My client will be sending funds that are available as we speak in order for you to keep the unit for us, and more importantly so as not to spend it on unforeseen expenses that may show up. Hence, the earnest payment to be sent to you will also include the inspection and delivery service part fee which will be made available upon request by the agent to be employed for the services. I will be looking for a reputable transporter/shipping agent for the job and once if I find one, I will let you know.

Also, how does the inspections work? Do I set it up or does he? I'm worried that he will hire someone who shows up at my house, takes the keys and then leaves with the RV never to be seen again.

Can I limit who performs the inspections?

What do you all recommend?

Thank you,

Joanna Smith

#2 RLAWyo

RLAWyo

• Validated Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

It's a scam. I have had similar correspondence when trying to sell a car. The buyer was representing a "client" from Europe, they send ernest money and a contract. I ignored all other emails from there on.

My advice, don't do anything with them.

Edited by RLAWyo, 22 April 2012 - 06:57 PM.

Arctic Fox 24-5n
Dodge 2500 quad cab
6.7cummins

#3 Cyberdave

Cyberdave

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 769 posts
  • SKP#:105320

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

IMHO,

They've baited the hook, placed the cast well and are just waiting for you to bite.

In other words, if it smells like a fish, looks like a fish and tastes like a fish, it must be fishy.

Want to throw them a curve? Tell them cash and carry, transferred at your bank and all inspections and tests are done at a parking lot and refuse anything more than a contact number and place to meet.

Better safe than sorry.
Dave & Tish
Beagles Bagle & Snoopy
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

"I went through a door but forget what was on the other side. I would go through it again but I forgot which door it is."

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 655 posts
  • SKP#:116650

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

Do not reply. S cam. Block his emails. He will want to pay with cashiers check or some other form. It will be counterfeit. If you do want to continue talking with him tell him to email you when he is in your town and has cash. Do not give him any bank information so he can deposit funds. Cash only
Ron C.
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3
2000 Kenworth T2000

#5 Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson

• Validated Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

I see that while composing my comments, others have essentially already posted the very same thing. However, so as not to waste all that 2-fingered, slow typing of mine....

From the phrasing and apparent "dialect" you cite, this guy isn't anywhere NEAR Kentucky...nor anywhere ELSE in this country. I'd bet money you are in the early stages of a Nigerian SCAM. Run away as fast as possible...and DO NOT give them ANY personal information.

I also suggest you re-word you ad, stating that you will accept LOCAL PICKUP ONLY of the vehicle, and that all proceeds must be paid IN ADVANCE, by either CASH, or a bank wire transfer through the Federal Reserve System. Fake cashier's checks are a dime-a-dozen these days, so DON'T accept one.

These scammers (many from Western Africa) run search bots all day and night, looking for their prey. How people are not tipped off by the obvious language differences; the "flowerly-formalese" of their BS and what they spew, is beyond me!

I'm trying to sell our motorhome due to my husband's work schedule. I received an inquiry from a man in KY who it seems is representing his client. He asked about 10 general questions including "Have you ever sold a RV before and what is your experience?" Then today he asked about four more general questions which included "Where exactly is your RV located including prescriptions and directions from a major airport and What is your mailing address, not P.O Box"

He continued on saying that he would send a sale agreement with earnest after I answered the above questions. My concern comes in from a paragraph with instructions he left that opened up a red flag.

1.) He uses the phrase "My Client"
2.) I will send you earnest money and funds for inspections and delivery service fee and you will pay them."

Would you please review the below paragraph and give me your opinion, does it sound like a scam to you and what should I do?

As soon as I hear back from you, I will discuss the arrangement of the earnest payment, the inspection/delivery fees and also the final payment with my client. My client will be sending funds that are available as we speak in order for you to keep the unit for us, and more importantly so as not to spend it on unforeseen expenses that may show up. Hence, the earnest payment to be sent to you will also include the inspection and delivery service part fee which will be made available upon request by the agent to be employed for the services. I will be looking for a reputable transporter/shipping agent for the job and once if I find one, I will let you know.

Also, how does the inspections work? Do I set it up or does he? I'm worried that he will hire someone who shows up at my house, takes the keys and then leaves with the RV never to be seen again.

Can I limit who performs the inspections?

What do you all recommend?

Thank you,

Joanna Smith

Edited by Mike Simpson, 22 April 2012 - 07:05 PM.

Mike Simpson
W5SUF
2009 Optima 42' Truck Conversion
Freightliner Columbia

#6 Dick&Joyce

Dick&Joyce

• Validated Members
  • 320 posts
  • SKP#:108945

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

In trying to sell our stuff and go full time we have used Craigs list a lot. This is something that will happen with every major item you have on there. The stories are different (working on an oil rig, buying for my daughter etc.) but the deal is the same. So that you don't lose a real buyer just insist that you only deal in cash with the total paid before delivery. They won't waste any money.
Dick and Joyce
2010 3665RE Montana 5th Wheel
2011 Dodge 2500 laramie edition
Norm, Diego @ Bitsy

#7 Vladimir

Vladimir

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 809 posts
  • SKP#:107155

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

In trying to sell our stuff and go full time we have used Craigs list a lot. This is something that will happen with every major item you have on there. The stories are different (working on an oil rig, buying for my daughter etc.) but the deal is the same. So that you don't lose a real buyer just insist that you only deal in cash with the total paid before delivery. They won't waste any money.

That's good advice.

It smells like a scam.

We have a vacation rental business and have been strung along by one scam. Their strategy is to get you to commit your time and energy making it less likely for you to stop the whole transaction.

We now upfront state credit cards only before we will hold a reservation. That gets rid of the scam artists rather quickly.

The problem is that by being nice you lose REAL buyers or in our case customers. So now...credit card and we will hold a reservation...no more nice guy unless you rented from us before and we know you!!!

We also started googling the names used and found out that in Britain they keep a roster of names used in scams for vacation rentals.

Don't waste your time and energy. How many people use someone to buy their RV??
Vladimr Steblina
Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.
usbackroads.blogspot.com

#8 Croft

Croft

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

He will "inadvertently" send you a cheque for a few thousand too much and ask that you return the over payment with your own good cash. After you do this you will find his cheque was no good and you will be out a bunch of money. Run!

#9 Earl

Earl

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1416 posts
  • SKP#:104554

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

Insist they come check it out in person and sale is cash. That will stop all scams.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5rds for full-timing, now sold.

2011 23rks Keystone Hideout for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

#10 Earl

Earl

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1416 posts
  • SKP#:104554

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Duplicate post

Edited by Earl, 23 April 2012 - 09:34 AM.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5rds for full-timing, now sold.

2011 23rks Keystone Hideout for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

#11 Rif

Rif

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4572 posts
  • SKP#:84860

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

As everyone else has said, pure unadulterated scam. Unless you want to have some fun stringing him along and wasting his time, quit wasting your time and modify your ad as suggested.
2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

#12 mdjmsmith

mdjmsmith

• All Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

Thank you all for your great advice! I appreciate it very much and feel much better in my decisions. Thank you again :)

#13 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4160 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

Don't know if it is a scam or not but it does not me fel good so I would let it pass.
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#14 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 16488 posts
  • SKP#:51443

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Try a search here?

Posted Image

First rule of computer consulting:
Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.
Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

#15 Atchafalaya_man

Atchafalaya_man

• Validated Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

I'm selling some things right now on various services like Craigslist. The scams are usually the very first responses I get, and they arrive by email at 3 a.m.

When I get any response, and don't think it's a scam, my email response is: "Send me your telephone number. I will call you immediately."

If you DO get a phone number emailed to you, you can check it out at a website like "www.whitepages.com" by entering the number in a 'reverse search'.

Ignore any numbers that don't check out near you.

#16 Mr Nifty

Mr Nifty

• Validated Members
  • 98 posts
  • SKP#:106550

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

This does sound like a scam. I did sell a ford ranger on ebay. Had a guy fly out from NY to SD to drive it back.

2008 F450 King Ranch.6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
6500 watt 54 AMP Gen Box RV Generator
Keystone Montana 3150RL 5er. Part Timer.
Yes I really am from South Dakota.

#17 Chelsea Dagger

Chelsea Dagger

• Validated Members
  • 40 posts
  • SKP#:107137

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Joanna, as a former Senior Investigator in a major UK bank, I'd endorse what others have already posted - it's a scam. From the style and language used, especially the misspellings, I'd guess it's of East African origin. They have no interest in your RV only your personal information particularly your bank account details. I'd suggest you don't make any further contact with them and block any email addresses they've used when they contacted you.
Tim & Eileen
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DP 37CDS
1994 Jeep Wrangler S / YJ

Life's too short so what are we waiting for.