• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 oscarvan

oscarvan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Does anyone use this? Example Equal..... Does anyone change their own tires? Just watched some videos and it didn't look too bad. Is it worth it? Or is the cost of mounting and spin balancing not too bad?
Super Max is a 2012 Chevvy 3500 Crew Cab Dual Rear Wheels.....Duramax Diesel and Allison 6 Speed. Max takes care of TWO RV's:......"Yertle" our 2012 Lance 1191 Truck Camper for short missions, and "The Castle" a 2013 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King HD for our longer vacations.

#2 John (C-IL)

John (C-IL)

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1069 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

I have it in the front tires of my truck. I won't make any claims on the effectiveness, but I don't have a balance problem either.
1993 Freightliner Conversion; 3176 CAT; Eaton 10spdOD; 120" sleeper; 243"wb.

http://community.web...om/user/JohnCIL

#3 oscarvan

oscarvan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

How about wheel centering, is that an issue? Just found a product called "true balance" which claims to improve wheel centering.
Super Max is a 2012 Chevvy 3500 Crew Cab Dual Rear Wheels.....Duramax Diesel and Allison 6 Speed. Max takes care of TWO RV's:......"Yertle" our 2012 Lance 1191 Truck Camper for short missions, and "The Castle" a 2013 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King HD for our longer vacations.

#4 Darryl&Rita

Darryl&Rita

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1554 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

Wheel return to centre is a function of caster. Only. Nothing else. No snake oil will affect it.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here

#5 Walt&Connie

Walt&Connie

• Validated Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

Are you talking about Equal powder/beads?
I have never used them but I know Equal (powder) can blow out the valve stem if you release the air and if you use a TPMS air senser system then the powder will damage them but beads should not damage them (maybe)
On changing tires if talking about regular pick-up/car no problem. But if you are talking about HDT tires NO WAY, If by your self, you could not even lift/mount the tire because of the weight. And to change the tire on the rim, again no way. To many bead breakers and hammer/sledge need to be used. (also Dam hard work)

For HDT's let the pros do it, your health/back pain is not worth the money saved.

#6 1Rod

1Rod

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1096 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

I have equal in my rear tires. Didn't know of an issue with TPMS. Glad I didn't finish the Pressure Pro install.

1995 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

2007 Weekend Warrior FTL 4005 Traded 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 770 singled long with 14' van box and 60 inch deck. 465 Volvo with 10 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross

Rans Recumbent Bicycle

2013 Yamaha FJR 1300

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

#7 hone eagle

hone eagle

• Validated Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

I have watched the tire guy changing 22.5's in the middle of winter , outside , in our bus yard - by himself and on the ground .man not for me but it can be done.
not just changing a wheel mind you but rubber to rim thenn on to a bus wheuu

Edited by hone eagle, 22 April 2012 - 01:46 PM.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

#8 oscarvan

oscarvan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

This guy makes it look easy...........

Edited by oscarvan, 22 April 2012 - 01:57 PM.

#9 oscarvan

oscarvan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Wheel return to centre is a function of caster. Only. Nothing else. No snake oil will affect it.

I was talking about centering the wheel/tire assembly on the hub/drum, and it's possible related vibrations not tracking/alignment etc.

I'm starting to study this stuff as I hate vibrations (shimmy) and will chase them until I eliminate them.

#10 MCraven210

MCraven210

• Validated Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

My understanding is that if you use the equal powder that you need to use the equal valve core that has a filter in it. It is to keep the powder in the tire and then it will not damage the TPMS. I have used it in my F450 and it is in the 17.5 on my Moblie Suites. It seems to work and with the filtered valve cores the TPMS has worked fine.

Edited by MCraven210, 22 April 2012 - 02:26 PM.

Mike, Suzan and Boomer too
1999 Volvo 770 "Devil Dog", Detroit 60, Auto Shift.
ET Hitch, ET Jackalopee, Pressure Pro, Max Brake
2004 Mobile Suites 36CK3
Semper Fi

#11 Raquel

Raquel

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1115 posts
  • SKP#:106877

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Because I'm wanting to learn, why the power balancer rather than Centramatics?

Trish & Raquel
--------
2002 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4
"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb
"Wile E." -- 2013 Landmark San Antonio
Photos

#12 Billr

Billr

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 738 posts
  • SKP#:106814

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

FWIW none of my tires are balanced, no powder, no centramatics, no wts. No vibs at all. Steers can be peeled off and installed without pulling the wheel off the truck. Rears not so easy. I still will leave it for the tire guy. Airing them up can be a challenge. I can with the right tools pull the wheels off and put back on. Torque is very high so need a large bar and torque wrench...500ftlbs. Good Sam on the road is a good thing!

Bill
Bill and Joan and 4 Collie pups
2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse"
VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio
2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3
2005 Smart Passion loaded piggyback
http://picasaweb.goo...com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

#13 PSD_Tweaker

PSD_Tweaker

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

I can add only this to what Bill R said: Ditto

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha V-Star 1100 on deck.  http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

#14 trucksaledave

trucksaledave

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 903 posts
  • SKP#:96553

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

Buy a good tire or tires. Most will not need balancing. Spin balacing on the truck for the fronts are best....can be very hard to find a spin balancer. Sometimes you can remound the tire 180 degees around and it will good. My Bridgestones have a mark from the factory for you to mount that mark at the valve stem.

The powder does not mix well with moisture.....can cause a out-of-balance problem.

The beads are ok....I have used them and keep some in the truck....but not in tires.

Always pay a little extra for balanced brake drums....worth the $$$

Know the difference between a shake and bounce.

JMO

Dave
2001 IHC 9200i....."WEEKEND WARRIOR"
Single axle...N-14 cummins...super10...jake...72" sleeper/sofa...shore power...
2007 SunnyBrook 38'
and... one very large Maine Coon CAT.....SAMANTHA

My toys....www.picturetrail.com...trucksaledave

#15 Bob Cochran

Bob Cochran

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1883 posts
  • SKP#:105438

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

I use Centramatics all around front and rears. I have heard tire guys don't like the beads or powder because it is messy but it does work. Centramatics are more expensive than powder or beads.

My Dad was a Tireman starting in the early 50's I guess it was before he became and mechanic for the same company. The company fleet numbered 50 plus semi-tractor trailers. I remember seeing him dismount and mount tires both on and off the trucks in the shop and on the road by hand. Later got tire machines for both the service truck and shop making the job so much easier. Geesh was a youngster then but was way impressed. :D

Own a 37 foot 2014 Keystone Fuzion pulling with 1998 Freightliner Century. Fortunate to retire early intending to full time but circumstances prevents this at the present time. Living in a sticks and bricks home all paid off DW has to have roots some place and this works.

#16 Russ Barnes

Russ Barnes

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1392 posts
  • SKP#:95565

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

When I was starting to collect parts I knew I didn't want stuff in the tires that make it either harder to patch or cause issues with remote pressure sensors. I have read about golf balls, goo, powder, birdshot, BB's, etc and decided it was Centramatics for me since that is what the professional real truckers rely on. So I bought a new pair for my fronts and no, they were not cheap. Then a few months later one of the saved searches I have on eBay for Centramatics popped up a set off a tandem tractor in NJ. It was two fronts and four rears, "like new" and while not near home, it happened I was driving that way in a few weeks. I bought all six for $100 - the driver had been killed in a car accident and the family was selling these. I sold the two used fronts, and two of the rears for a little more than I had in the two fronts I had bought new and it happened that all six were like new. So for not too much in total dollars I had what I wanted. Not saying they are on eBay all the time, but if you're not in a rush you might try that.

Russ

2000 Kennworth T2000 "MH" - 430 DD, Gen I/AS, 3.25 locker, E.T. hitch and much, much more.
2006 Teton Frontier 5'r - 39' Royal (Teton club member #1544)
2008 451 smart Passion - with a few goodies added.

The weather is warmer, I've a lot more get up and go and I spend more time on finishing the truck - however, the rain falls - grass grows and I have to spend three days a week mowing 6+ acres.  Then because I am retired somehow my DW things since she still works that I needed to be appointed grocery getter, chef, dish washer and other chores.  So the story is that more is getting done, but still not as fast as I'd like.

#17 oscarvan

oscarvan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

When I was starting to collect parts I knew I didn't want stuff in the tires that make it either harder to patch or cause issues with remote pressure sensors. I have read about golf balls, goo, powder, birdshot, BB's, etc and decided it was Centramatics for me since that is what the professional real truckers rely on. So I bought a new pair for my fronts and no, they were not cheap. Then a few months later one of the saved searches I have on eBay for Centramatics popped up a set off a tandem tractor in NJ. It was two fronts and four rears, "like new" and while not near home, it happened I was driving that way in a few weeks. I bought all six for $100 - the driver had been killed in a car accident and the family was selling these. I sold the two used fronts, and two of the rears for a little more than I had in the two fronts I had bought new and it happened that all six were like new. So for not too much in total dollars I had what I wanted. Not saying they are on eBay all the time, but if you're not in a rush you might try that.

Russ

Would you say they do what they are said to do? Can you tell any difference?

Edited by oscarvan, 24 April 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#18 Russ Barnes

Russ Barnes

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1392 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Oscar,

Wish I could, I can tell you they don't shimmy or shake one bit on my KW that is still on jack stands while I am completing the bed, reconstructing the interior and laying paint on the remaining body I didn't get finished straightening and filling a few years ago. However as Bob mentioned they do work - he didn't say he had compared the running difference, if there is any. My reason as I posted was to avoid some of the other issues that various internal balancing can create and since the pros go that way I was just pointing out another method to get them at a lower cost.

Russ

2000 Kennworth T2000 "MH" - 430 DD, Gen I/AS, 3.25 locker, E.T. hitch and much, much more.

The weather is warmer, I've a lot more get up and go and I spend more time on finishing the truck - however, the rain falls - grass grows and I have to spend three days a week mowing 6+ acres.  Then because I am retired somehow my DW things since she still works that I needed to be appointed grocery getter, chef, dish washer and other chores.  So the story is that more is getting done, but still not as fast as I'd like.

#19 oscarvan

oscarvan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

I agree that something external would be preferable to something inside the tire.....

#20 Russ Barnes

Russ Barnes

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1392 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

Also, even assuming the benefit is the same, if you have a tire or replaced you need to re-install the powder or have the tire guy do it versus just slipping the Centramatics off and then back on the wheel studs. So one less thing to keep up with considering all the other stuff there is to remember.

Russ