• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jer

Jer

• Validated Members
  • 150 posts
  • SKP#:59287

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Is the Air Force Frequent Camper Program still active?

Jer
International 4700LP (2000)
Travel Supreme (36RLTSOA)
Fulltimer

#2 Doug Simpson

Doug Simpson

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Larry Farquhar, retired Air Force, runs the U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks website, http://www.militarycampgrounds.us, and he is probably the best source for what is going on at the military campgrounds, especially the Air Force campgrounds. This link is the best information I have found on the Frequent Camper Program:

http://www.militaryc...frequent-camper

My Rig

#3 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2181 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

Great topic and thanks for the info.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#4 Ron and Laine

Ron and Laine

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

The last time I heard any thing on this was that the system was so messed up that it was not worth the hassle. Was told that after you got your booklet stamped you would send it in for some type of coupons and it took them forever to get them back to you. One person stated they never did receive theirs. So, I don't know if this still applies or not. Personally, I have never fooled with the program.

Ron
US Army retired
Leo, Shitzu/Lhasa Apso
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

#5 Doug7155

Doug7155

• Validated Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

I'm at Patrick AFB Famcamp now. I'll ask tomorrow at the office.

#6 Doug7155

Doug7155

• Validated Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

The office told me that the only place the booklets are available is Randolpf AFB. The office worker was of the opinion that for all practical purposes the programs dying a slow death.
I concur with that assssment. I've asked at numerous air force bases and never got more than above or usually a blank stare.

#7 Faded Eagle

Faded Eagle

• Validated Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

To be honest, with the budget cuts DoD has staring them in the face, I'll be shocked if there are any FAMCAMPs left in a few years.

Regards

Bob

#8 AC7880

AC7880

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1414 posts
  • SKP#:101097

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

Most are paying their own way and many make money. Those will survive. The ones losing monay may close as we progress.

To be honest, with the budget cuts DoD has staring them in the face, I'll be shocked if there are any FAMCAMPs left in a few years.

Regards

Bob

Dan - SKP club member

1994 Bluebird BMC 37'
http://2toomanycats.blogspot.com/

#9 DJW

DJW

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2441 posts
  • SKP#:63119

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Back 11 years ago when we joined it was the best $25 we ever spent. We have stayed in over 35 AFB Fam Camps. We were on our 4th tier when we came off the road last year. It is sad that it is going away.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

#10 Ron and Laine

Ron and Laine

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

I doubt that they will close any Famcamps as they are making too much money for MWR. Everyone we have visited has been really busy. Now days the active duty service members are using them as a permanent residence paying any where from $250.00 to $450 a month while drawing over $1200. in housing allowance.

Ron
US Army retired
Leo, Shitzu/Lhasa Apso
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

#11 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2181 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that all MWR programs function like businesses. They get no money from the DoD budget, except possibly for building maintenance and that's because building maintenance is considered all part of the base's overall building maintenance budget.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#12 Doug Simpson

Doug Simpson

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Most military campgrounds are cash cows and usually end up financing other base activities that can't/don't pay their own way. The campgrounds also provide base commanders with an additional option to house some of their active duty members on temporary duty and, occasionally, provides contractors working on base an additional housing option. I suspect that the military campgrounds will be around for quite a while.

My Rig