Favorite wintertime fishing destinations

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 2wiresdave

2wiresdave

• All Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

Wondering if folks would mind sharing some favorite wintertime fishing destinations. I will fish for trout,bass or whatever is biting. Fly fishing or conventional gear doesn't matter, I just like wetting a line a catching some fish.

Very curious about good Arizona, and California destinations, but love to here about great Texas, Florida etc spots as well.

Also, do you bring any watercraft along? Kayaks, etc.

To share my own, I have found the Sedona/Cottonwood area to be ok, and there is a small camp spot on Wet Beaver Creek south of Sedona that has some planted trout as well as Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood that plants trout in the ponds and Verde river in the winter.

My ideal would be to find the ultimate campsite on the coast of southern California where I could learn to surf fish and enjoy the scenery. (probably a tough wish to grant ?)

2012 Casita Spirit Deluxe
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost

#2 harry bellerby

harry bellerby

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 862 posts
  • SKP#:41338

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Little bay Rockport Tx.,speckeled trout,redfish and black drum Lake Sam Rayburn TX.,large mouth,crappie.
c u on the road
airstream harry
2000 Land Yacht MH
2007 Saturn Ion

#3 Lenp

Lenp

• Validated Members
  • 316 posts
  • SKP#:57775

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Grand Isle, Louisiana for redfish, speckled sea trout, flounder, black drum, sheepshead and a few others. Been going there every winter for the last 13 years and loving it. Great state park but they stopped honoring the golden age so we now stay at a local RV park - Bayou Jim's about a mile before you cross the bridge to Grand Isle proper. Certainly not a destination resort, more of a fishing camp with 6-8 RV sites. Located right on a canal that runs between the gulf and Barataria Bay so fishing is good. He does NOT do daily rentals - only weekly and monthly.

I do take a 12 foot car aluminum boat but have not used it much the last two winters as all the fish I wanted were right in the canal.

Now as for summer fishing, Magone Lake near John Day, Oregon but you need a boat because bank fishing is difficult due to numerous snags.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

#4 dosbeagles

dosbeagles

• Validated Members
  • 434 posts
  • SKP#:106946

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

If you want a spot in Southern California for boondocking and surf fishing try Rincon Parkway north of Ventura Ca. You are right above the beach parking on old route 1. The County of Ventura has marked off a parking area where you can park your rv for about 27 per night no hookups but you have immediate access to the beach. There are also 2 county parks on either end of the Rincon one is Faria and the other is Hobson with quick and easy beach access. Here is a link to the site: http://portal.county..._and_recreation

Enjoy.

Chris

Chris & Joni
The beagles Rita & Lucky
2003 Ultimate Advantage
2008 Saturn Vue

http://jnctravelogue.wordpress.com

#5 maxroe

maxroe

• All Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Wondering if folks would mind sharing some favorite wintertime fishing destinations. I will fish for trout,bass or whatever is biting. Fly fishing or conventional gear doesn't matter, I just like wetting a line a catching some fish.

Very curious about good Arizona, and California destinations, but love to here about great Texas, Florida etc spots as well.

Also, do you bring any watercraft along? Kayaks, etc.

To share my own, I have found the Sedona/Cottonwood area to be ok, and there is a small camp spot on Wet Beaver Creek south of Sedona that has some planted trout as well as Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood that plants trout in the ponds and Verde river in the winter.

My ideal would be to find the ultimate campsite on the coast of southern California where I could learn to surf fish and enjoy the scenery. (probably a tough wish to grant ?)

I usually go somewhere like Camp Pendleton in California, but we're military so we have that option.
Grass is the Earth's fur.

#6 Mike

Mike

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

El Salto lake north of Mazatlan. There is an RV park about 30 miles away on a nice quiet secluded beach. If you have ever seen a TV show about big Mexican Bass, this is the lake. I just fished from shore a bit near the boat docks (no license required to shore fish in Mexico). I caught three that were a couple pounds each within about 30 minutes and I really have never been able to fish worth a darn. I had planned to spend three or four days at a lodge, but the guy I was going with ended up having carpal tunnel surgery on his hand and couldn't fish so that trip is coming this winter.

Edited by Mike, 31 May 2012 - 05:53 PM.

Mike
Abuelo Loco Blog
He who dies with the most toys is still dead........and may also be subject to Mark 10:25.

#7 MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher

• Validated Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

My favorite is Pulaski, NY fishing the Salmon River for steelhead. Although most campgrounds are closed, you can find plenty of other inexpensive places to stay.

You gotta like the snow and cold though, and be properly dressed. My coldest day fishing there was 18 below zero in the morning, but it had warmed up to 6 below zero when we went inside for lunch.

(I'm not planning to go fishing here in Montana today though. Rain, mixed with snow, and wind gusts up to 50 mph, is predicted. And the temperature is supposed to only get up to 41 degrees. B))