9 replies to this topic

#1 Garry G

Garry G

• Validated Members
  • 217 posts
  • SKP#:115215

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

Hi all,
Has anyone workamped in Maine? Did you have to file Maine Income Tax? If so at what rate did they tax you?
Garry & Theresa
2011 Carriage Cameo F35SB3
2009 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Banks Speed Brake

#2 rvpopeye

rvpopeye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1141 posts
  • SKP#:78016

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

I'm from Maine,and since I started workamping ,as long as I don't earn above the minimum , I haven't had to file at all.... YMMV ;)

Where are you going to be? PM me if you don't want to post location here.

Edited by rvpopeye, 20 April 2012 - 06:55 AM.

stay tuned
popeye

#3 Garry G

Garry G

• Validated Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

I'm from Maine,and since I started workamping ,as long as I don't earn above the minimum , I haven't had to file at all.... YMMV ;)

Where are you going to be? PM me if you don't want to post location here.

Working in Bar harbor. What was the minimum? Is there a difference in filing if you're working in Maine but not domiciled there as opposed to being domiciled there but not working in Maine?
Garry & Theresa
2009 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Banks Speed Brake

#4 rvpopeye

rvpopeye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1141 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

Narrows too?
Not sure what it currently is, haven't filed in years, think it was based on fed deduction, check with ME revenue and fed websites for newest figures.
I choose "exempt" status on my w-4... Qualification is if you haven't had any tax liability for ?? years ,you can go exempt and the employer only witholds
for SS/Medicare. Exact ##s fuzzy because I haven't needed to know since 2003 ! :blink: Some quick research should get you what you need to know. ;)
stay tuned
popeye

#5 Garry G

Garry G

• Validated Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

Narrows too?

Yes, how is Narrows Too?
Garry & Theresa
2009 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Banks Speed Brake

#6 rvpopeye

rvpopeye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1141 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

It's prettyy narrow,especially at low tide. Skuh kuh kuh kuh
Couldn't resist. :rolleyes:
stay tuned
popeye

#7 rvpopeye

rvpopeye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1141 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

Now, if you meant the campground,,,,,,,it gets narrow at HI tide.
B) B) B)
stay tuned
popeye

#8 rvpopeye

rvpopeye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1141 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

Ok,Ok seriously.....
The place is heaven , but then again , anyplace I can smell the ocean is heaven to me. ;)
stay tuned
popeye

#9 Boogity

Boogity

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1752 posts
  • SKP#:96385

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Gary - We worked in Bar Harbor in 2009 and we had to file a ME income tax form. Our income there was below the minimum $$ and no tax was required but it took a long time for them to send the refund. In that particular year we had income in three different states and ME was the most difficult to work with. I encountered sour dispositions each time I called them. Our domicile was Livingston, TX at that time and it seemed that the folks at the income tax office in ME didn't like that.

#10 mkc

mkc

• Validated Members
  • 55 posts
  • SKP#:82xxx

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

Working in Bar harbor. What was the minimum? Is there a difference in filing if you're working in Maine but not domiciled there as opposed to being domiciled there but not working in Maine?

Maine does have a Non-Resident income tax requirement. For 2011, here are the links to the various forms and specifically the non-resident instructions

http://www.maine.gov...s/1040/2011.htm

http://www.maine.gov...ownloadable.pdf

The Maine tax is determined by first calculating a tax amount as if the part-year resident, nonresident or "Safe Harbor" resident were a Maine resident for the entire year and then reducing that amount by a "nonresident credit." The Maine tax is calculated on the basis of the nonresident's or "Safe Harbor" resident's entire federal adjusted gross income and the Maine income modifications, itemized or standard deduction, personal exemption amount and credits. The nonresident credit is based on the amount of non-Maine source income. The nonresident credit is calculated on Schedule NR or Schedule NRH and entered on Form 1040ME, line 25.

NOTE: Nonresident minimum taxability thresholds: Beginning in 2011, a nonresident individual working in Maine as an employee is not required to pay a Maine tax or file a Maine return on income from personal services unless that individual works in Maine for more than 12 days or earns or derives income from all Maine sources totaling more than $3,000. Up to 24 days performing certain personal services, such as training and site inspections, are not counted against the 12-day threshold. Also, generally, a nonresident individual present in Maine for business for no more than 12 days and earning no more than $3,000 from business activity in Maine is not required to pay a Maine tax or file a Maine income tax return on that income. For more information, see Maine Revenue Services Rule 806 and 36 MRSA 5142(8-B) and 5220(2) available on the MRS web site at www.maine.gov/revenue (select Laws and Rules).

Edited by mkc, 25 April 2012 - 06:02 PM.

2003 Foretravel U320

Owner/Moderator of Foretravel Owners' Forum