dripping ceiling air conditioner

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 genecurp

genecurp

• Validated Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

My Class C has a roof mounted AC with ceiling panel and vents, as well as ducted ceiling vents. Sometimes it will drip water into the living compartment from the grid in the ceiling. I have removed the outside shroud and inspected. I saw no blocked water drains or such. Removing the inside grill work (ceiling panel) the condensate is on the compressor side of course.

Normally condensate drains across the rubber roof and down the side of the RV. When there is inside dripping there is not water on the ground from the roof.

My unit is a Coleman Mach III Plus (RV Products of Airxcel, Inc model 8333E7764) 13,500 BTU air conditioner.

My intuition tells me there must be a drainage path for condensate to run outside. I haven't seen it (or at least recognized it).

Your suggestions will be very welcome.

Gene
Wishing safe travels to all

Link Here To Our Journal

2009 Four Winds Class C pulling 2010 Honda Fit

#2 Jim n Sue

Jim n Sue

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1090 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

My Class C has a roof mounted AC with ceiling panel and vents, as well as ducted ceiling vents. Sometimes it will drip water into the living compartment from the grid in the ceiling. I have removed the outside shroud and inspected. I saw no blocked water drains or such. Removing the inside grill work (ceiling panel) the condensate is on the compressor side of course.

Normally condensate drains across the rubber roof and down the side of the RV. When there is inside dripping there is not water on the ground from the roof.

My unit is a Coleman Mach III Plus (RV Products of Airxcel, Inc model 8333E7764) 13,500 BTU air conditioner.

My intuition tells me there must be a drainage path for condensate to run outside. I haven't seen it (or at least recognized it).

Your suggestions will be very welcome.

Gene

Pull that outside cover off and dig deeper..somewhere in there is a drip pan. I think there is another cover over the coils that you may have to remove also to be able to get to the pan. Your coils may need cleaning at this time also and be careful to not bend the fins. They are very delicate.
Jim Spence
2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB
BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans
34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

#3 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 16459 posts
  • SKP#:51443

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Sometimes you can get to the clog from the inside, you'll need a bright flashlight and a mirror though. Once you find and clear the clog you might want to give the inside fins a good cleaning as well as flushing out the drip pan under the inside coils. As above be GENTLE bent fins are a pain to straighten. Having the foam filter in the inlet and in good shape is important to keeping the bigger chunks of dust from getting into the system and starting a new clog.

If the external coils are dirty cleaning them is a good idea too but be very careful as they will bend at a surprisingly minor pressure. Hitting them with a full stream from a garden hose can create hours of work with a toothpick getting them back straight. They make a tiny fin comb that is a lot faster but finding one when you need it is a real problem.

First rule of computer consulting:
Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.
Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

#4 Charlie P

Charlie P

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 548 posts
  • SKP#:SKP 85684

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

We had a problem with the A/C freeze stat not functioning properly and letting the coils build up with ice. The ice would then begin to drip into the rv.
Just another thought!
Charlie and Yvonne
2005 Silverado Duramax - 1996 Holiday Rambler 5th Wheel

Visit My Website

Our Weather Location Profile Page

#5 RayIN

RayIN

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4094 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

It is not the condenser coils, but rather the evaporator coils that produce condensate. This coil is covered by a sealed shroud that is exposed by removing the outer plastic shroud. It has several drain holes in the sides of the drip-pan that must be open to prevent condensate from leaking into the RV.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom 40JD,Spartan MM chassis, Cummins ISC 350;   GS life member

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of darkness."___Supreme Court Justice William Douglas

#6 RV

RV

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 8272 posts
  • SKP#:50964

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Everybody has a part right, let's get a flashlight like Stan suggests and then run it until it drips then shut it down and look up inside and see if you can see the couils or if you see a solid sheet of ice dripping. If ice then it is the freeze stat as mentioned. If the drip is coming from the edges but no ice on the evaporation coils then do as Stan suggested from inside. If that does not work then get up on the roof and remove the outside shroud and then the sheet metal one up front over the inside evaporation coils. Check the drip pan under them for a clog and clean what you can while up there. Be careful not to touch the capacitor connections as they hold a heckuva charge. The capacitor is the oval or round aluminum canister with thick wires connected to it. Good luck!

Edited by RV, 16 April 2012 - 07:37 PM.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

#7 genecurp

genecurp

• Validated Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

After the first few responsed, I did a google and found a schematic. Up on the roof, off with the shroud. Then i removed the metal cover over the coils/ fins. There was the pan with water still in it from yesterday. I looked briefly for the drain holes. I decided to first run a screwdriver blade under the sides of the unit. Out came a leaf and the water started draining.

BTW I went roof top first because rain was forecast for this PM and I wanted start the way most likely to succeed.

Again, thanks to all.

Gene
Wishing safe travels to all

Link Here To Our Journal

2009 Four Winds Class C pulling 2010 Honda Fit

#8 RayIN

RayIN

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4094 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for your feedback, its good to hear positive results from suggestions!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom 40JD,Spartan MM chassis, Cummins ISC 350;   GS life member

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of darkness."___Supreme Court Justice William Douglas

#9 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20286 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Up on the roof, off with the shroud. Then i removed the metal cover over the coils/ fins. There was the pan with water still in it from yesterday. I looked briefly for the drain holes.

In addition to what you have done, there can also be a problem with any collection of dust or dirt starting to grow mold or fungus that will slowly build up and plug the drains. A good friend who is an RV tech taught me to make a practice of going up and removing the cover to the evaporator coils each spring and first cleaning the coils and drip pan with a spray detergent & water, flush with water and then pour a cup or two of water/chlorine bleach mix into the pan to kill any "stuff" that may try and grow there. Since that time I have not had any problems with air conditioner rain showers! :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg