• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 irish

irish

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Just went through the worst hail storm I have every been through. We are parked at the farm for the summer and we got nailed but good. The hail was bigger than golf balls ! ! It honestly sounded like it was going to come through the roof ! !

What we can see so far is that the truck is badly dented and every roof vent is broken on the RV. We will have to wait until morning to see what else had happened.

I just want to be sure that we know what else to look for when dealing with the insurance company. Anyone else been through this? Thanks for any advise.

#2 Newt

Newt

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2369 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

I went through this some years back. The problem was with the body shop, not the insurance co. They seemed to have a problem making the repair undetectable.

Make sure there is a clear understanding on what you expect.

Newt
2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB
2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

#3 Liberty

Liberty

• Validated Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Irish, where are you parked. our friends and family in and around Wichita, KS are all hunkered down for the evening. Twisters all around.

Depends some on the construction. Talk to the MFG. teck or service folks to get an idea of proper approach to this situation. I have a friend that had a Holiday Rambler MH that was in a hail storm and the shop screwed luan to the roof and glued on a rubber rook. they were never happy with the results.
LeRoy & Anne
Silver Eagle conversion
PT Cruiser Conv.
OK & KS now SD well sometimes

The journey is the trip not the destination.

http://2010liberty.wordpress.com/

#4 C&N

C&N

• Validated Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

As of right now we are watching a Tornado roll through south Wichita on the news. My heart goes out to you. We were just in Wichita yesterday. We may be headed that way tommorow if they need volunteers for recovery.
1977 International Harvester Skoolie

#5 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 16437 posts
  • SKP#:51443

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

The air conditioners will probably have bent fins, make sure they get them straight and flowing air freely. Pay careful attention to any inside water damage from the broken vents, not just at floor level but pull the trim rings and check for problems with the ceiling too. If the fridge vent was destroyed check for water under the fridge and in any cabinetry under the area.

If the roof is luan and they have to pull the cover check it for splintering when they have it open. A bit of power sanding and a freshly glued layer over the top will avoid problems later with splinters poking holes or bubbles forming.

Check your trim lights for damage and water infiltration, they can look good from the ground but have cracks on the top side.

First rule of computer consulting:
Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.
Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

#6 irish

irish

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

Morning all,

We are in southern Iowa. Two tornadoes last night - one to the east and the one to the west damaged the hospital in Creston.

Daylight shows that several of our exterior lights are damaged. We still need to get up on the roof. I don't know what the roof is made of - something rubbery. This is a 1996 King of the Road if that helps. It doesn't look like we have much body damage, so that is good.

How much does a new roof usually cost? With the age of the RV, I'm worried that they will total it rather than fix it. There will be water damage in the ceiling - particularly around the shower skylight.

Stanley, thanks for the hints about the refrig.

Thanks everyone for the hints about the roof.

#7 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20271 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

It sounds like you have a rubber (EDPM) roof and kind usually stands hail better than most other materials. But as Stanley has mentioned, look very closely for any dents in the substrate that the rubber is glued to as dents in it can mean a new roof is needed, even if the rubber has not been penetrated or leaked. Any dents mean that the wood underlay that supports the rubber has been damaged and needs to be replaced. As to the cost of a new roof, it would depend to some degree on the size of RV and the number of roof penetrations but it will likely be in the range of $5,000 to $7,000 and with underlay it might reach $10,000.

My sister and her daughter are both in Haysville, KS, the town that was hit first in the Wichita area and while I have not been able to reach her as yet, I did talk with a friend who lives in Wichita and his reports is positive for that area. My sis is in a trailer court, and one was torn up but it is one that is located at 71st & Hydraulic, which is about 1 mile to the east of my sis. At this time the local TV is reporting 1 person missing in Oaklawn and all others accounted for with some heavy damage. That report is from KWCH-TV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#8 Clay L

Clay L

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

We got caught in a golf ball sized hailstorm near Nashville TN a few years ago. We have a fiberglass roof and there were two minor star depressions on the roof radius that a small amount of epoxy fixed. In our case no vent covers or AC shrouds were damaged.
The coach was pretty new then and the plastic may still have been somewhat flexible. Other folks in the RV park did have them damaged.

The surprising thing is that the two slide toppers had several small depressions with holes in the bottom and had to be replaced. Now I know to retract the slides in that situation.

The Honda Accord suffered about $3600 in damage and the Honda dealer in Grand Junction CO did a great job of fixing it.

Edited by Clay L, 15 April 2012 - 01:32 PM.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis but now snowbirds.
Honda Accord toad.
SD residents, changing to CO next summer

#9 RV

RV

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 8272 posts
  • SKP#:50964

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

Irish, sorry you had damage and hope our other friends don't have any damage or worse. We had one fiver totaled, our first, and even though generous settlement, was not enough for the same brand. The much newer replacement was pure junk. Insurance companies will sometimes try to lowball with the threat of totaling. I think Stan covered it very well. The only thing I would add is to double check when all is dry, as wet will hide a lot.

We got hit last week with hail the size of large marbles and boy they hurt running for cover. We get hit today by those same storms that hit last night elsewwhere with such power and fatalities. After two of our vehicles were damaged by hail, we gave up and bought two of those metal carports so they can take the abuse and leave the vehicles damage free.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

#10 Dick&Joyce

Dick&Joyce

• Validated Members
  • 320 posts
  • SKP#:108945

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

One more thing I would do is call your manufacturer customer service line and ask them what to look for. If there are common issues on your rig after that type of storm they should know what they are.
Dick and Joyce
2010 3665RE Montana 5th Wheel
2011 Dodge 2500 laramie edition
Norm, Diego @ Bitsy

#11 GR 'Scott' Cundiff

GR 'Scott' Cundiff

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 624 posts
  • SKP#:113181

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

Man, that's spooky -- good luck with the claim and repairs.

Last week we had some big hail here in the Houston area and the insurance company says I'll need a new roof on the house. The camper is sitting in the driveway and I can see just a few dings on the side that was facing the wind, but the roof looks just fine (aside from being a bit dirty). I'm thankful for that.

Again, hope the claim works out like it should. I'm guessing that major damage will be easier to claim than minor damage would be.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2008 6.4L SRW F-350 Diesel - 2007 Hitchhiker 32.5 LKSBG - Superglide Hitch

#12 Mariner

Mariner

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:03 AM

We had hail damage in Md. spring of 2010. Both my radius's(or would that be Radii?)looked like someone went the length of the coach bashing them with a ballpeen hammer. Both A/C shrouds and the vent caps were destroyed..but suprisingly no damage to our solar panels, satellite dome, roof, or side of the coach. After I replaced the shrouds and vent caps, I realized the hail damage was cosmetic and not structural, so we motored on for the rest of the summer. When we eventually got to Florida for the winter I found a place in Lakeland,Fl. that could do the repairs and match up the custom paint job I have. Our insurance handled it all except for the deductible of course. So all in all it wasn't the tragedy I thought it was going to be. It ended up being another story I can tell around the campfire. :rolleyes:

#13 irish

irish

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

One more thing I would do is call your manufacturer customer service line and ask them what to look for. If there are common issues on your rig after that type of storm they should know what they are.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer is out of business. The only part I can see that we might have problems getting is the plastic wheel well cover - it is broken up. Everything else is pretty stock stuff. The whole skylight for the bathroom will have to be replaced. That is where I am worried about water damage. The a/c did take a beating as well. We are checking out things as we can. With winds of 40-60mph, getting on the roof is a little dangerous.

The truck has divits on every single major part. Don't know what they will do about that.

It is ironic because we have been talking about switching to a motorhome and have been looking on the internet - dreaming. We wanted to take our time and get the right one. Now we have to worry about getting the truck and 5er back up to snuff so they can bring top dollar again or maybe the insurance will settle for enough...... The waiting is going to be tough.

#14 Dick&Joyce

Dick&Joyce

• Validated Members
  • 320 posts
  • SKP#:108945

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

This is just one, but if you go on the net you'll find a bunch. Check the outlets and RV scrap yards for the parts you need. Here's one to start with and if they don't carry your brand ask them who might: http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/
Dick and Joyce
2010 3665RE Montana 5th Wheel
2011 Dodge 2500 laramie edition
Norm, Diego @ Bitsy

#15 SIBERNUT

SIBERNUT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2780 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

Having been in the insurance side, couple notes: first, lots of times we would TL the trailer & let the owner buy back. Eliminates problems for the Co down the road. You will probably not be able to re-insure it w/ the same carrier.
Second, if you have the repair done document it (pics) & save the paperwork. People will sometimes have hail damage, and not have it repaired. They then go to a different ins co & look for a hail storm to drive into.....................
Happens a lot with the "Airstream" or other bare aluminum rigs.

2000 Volvo 610 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobuc.../?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Nooka & CH. Sedona
dolphins.jpg

#16 1Rod

1Rod

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1098 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

Sorry you got hit by the hail. I had just moved my Toyhauler to Cedar Rapids the day before we got Hail in Fremont, Ia. The vinyl siding on the house took a beating. I didn't see any problems with the Volvo, but really just did a walk around in the early morning and it was a very cloudy day. The RV in CR missed out on the Hail according to the folks where it is parked. Am hoping the remainder of spring isn't going to be full of hail and high winds. I may reconsider my early departures from Florida. I like the cooler weather but not the storms.

Rod

1995 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

2007 Weekend Warrior FTL 4005 Traded 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 770 singled long with 14' van box and 60 inch deck. 465 Volvo with 10 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross

Rans Recumbent Bicycle

2013 Yamaha FJR 1300

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

#17 irish

irish

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hey 1Rod, we are with you there. We wouldn't have come back this early except our daughter is having problems with her pregnancy and wanted us home. Next year we will be staying away longer :)

Everyone thank for all the advise. We are taking the 5er to the dealers next week for an estimate. The adjuster was out and agreed that it needed someone professional look at it. They adjusted out the truck for $3500. Hubby is going to fix the dings himself, so the money will go on the loan.

Now we are waiting for the adjuster on the house to come by. We obviously aren't a high priority since the house is still standing and has a roof. I can be patient with that when so many have a real mess. Actually I was surprised that the vehicle adjuster was here so quickly.