• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 hobopals

hobopals

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Has anyone ever stayed in Indian Forest Campground in St. Augustine, FL or Savannah Oaks campground in Savannah, GA? I'll be on the coast the last week in May and have made reservations at both campgrounds and James Island for Charleston. My daughter will be with me and didn't want to stay at Skidaway near Savannah nor a state campground near St. Augustine.

She likes good wifi. These got pretty good reviews on Campground Reviews but I thought some of you might have personal experience or other suggestions. We won't be staying at the campground very much because we'll be touring around. I'm not looking forward to bugs and heat. Skidaway was terrible with them the year I went.

James Island, where I'm staying for 5 days before Savannah, had no bugs. While there a couple of years ago, we took a ride over to Hunting Island to see a friend and we couldn't stay long--the bugs were so bad and it was terribly humid. That was during the summer so I was just happy that we didn't suffer with the bugs at James Island (I'm guessing they spray or something).

It's probably been 30 years since I've been to St. Augustine so I know nothing of that area. Appreciate any information or advice you may have.

Edited by hobopals, 14 April 2012 - 02:31 PM.

We have memories so that we might have roses in December.

http://travelswithmr...e.blogspot.com/

#2 TCW

TCW

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2108 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

We have stayed at Indian Forest a couple of times. The most recent being the third week of February 2012. We like the park. The times we have been there, we have been in the section closest to the office. We had no problem staying connected to the WIFI. We only use the internet for email and bill paying so the speed of the connection is not as big a concern for us as it is for some. I have no idea how fast the transfer rates were. We like to use the trolley to get around St. Augustine. I think the tickets are good for three days and include shuttle service to the beach and lighthouse.

We have not stayed at Savannah Oaks.

See this thread about Savannah and Charleston.

Chevy 2500 Duramax, Aspen Trail 2910

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

#3 hobopals

hobopals

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

We have stayed at Indian Forest a couple of times. The most recent being the third week of February 2012. We like the park. The times we have been there, we have been in the section closest to the office. We had no problem staying connected to the WIFI. We only use the internet for email and bill paying so the speed of the connection is not as big a concern for us as it is for some. I have no idea how fast the transfer rates were. We like to use the trolley to get around St. Augustine. I think the tickets are good for three days and include shuttle service to the beach and lighthouse.

We have not stayed at Savannah Oaks.

See this thread about Savannah and Charleston .

Wow, that was Fast TCW. Thanks so much for the information. Glad to know about the trolley for St. Augustine. I couldn't get the thread about Savannah and Charleston to work. Again, I appreciate your response.

#4 hobopals

hobopals

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Wow, that was Fast TCW. Thanks so much for the information. Glad to know about the trolley for St. Augustine. I couldn't get the thread about Savannah and Charleston to work. Again, I appreciate your response.

I tried your link, again, and it worked, TCW. Many thanks.

#5 Roll Me Away

Roll Me Away

• Validated Members
  • 51 posts
  • SKP#:106230

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

I have stayed many times at Stagecoach RV Park and found it to be quite nice, about 6 miles out of St. Augustine. It has been a while, but it's a family-owned park and should be still very well-run.
Roll Me Away

Has anyone ever stayed in Indian Forest Campground in St. Augustine, FL or Savannah Oaks campground in Savannah, GA? I'll be on the coast the last week in May and have made reservations at both campgrounds and James Island for Charleston. My daughter will be with me and didn't want to stay at Skidaway near Savannah nor a state campground near St. Augustine.

She likes good wifi. These got pretty good reviews on Campground Reviews but I thought some of you might have personal experience or other suggestions. We won't be staying at the campground very much because we'll be touring around. I'm not looking forward to bugs and heat. Skidaway was terrible with them the year I went.

James Island, where I'm staying for 5 days before Savannah, had no bugs. While there a couple of years ago, we took a ride over to Hunting Island to see a friend and we couldn't stay long--the bugs were so bad and it was terribly humid. That was during the summer so I was just happy that we didn't suffer with the bugs at James Island (I'm guessing they spray or something).

It's probably been 30 years since I've been to St. Augustine so I know nothing of that area. Appreciate any information or advice you may have.

#6 TCW

TCW

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2108 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

We have stayed at Stagecoach also. I did not mention it because you asked about Indian Forest and said you had reservations there. Stagecoach is more of a typical next to the highway concrete pad parking lot type RV Park. You can see it clearly on Google Earth. When we stayed there it was a Passport America Park. I do not think it is at this time as it is not in the current website listing. If you want to be near the outlet malls, Gander Mountain and Camping World, Stagecoach is the place to be. Don't remember about the WIFI, but it was a couple of years ago so likely not relevant anyway.

Indian Forest is more rustic with gravel pads, trees and a large field/nature walk where you can walk your dog. There is a Dollar General right outside the park entrance if you need something in a pinch. The St Johns Flea Market and Farmers Market is just down the road next to I-95.

Edited by TCW, 14 April 2012 - 05:35 PM.

Chevy 2500 Duramax, Aspen Trail 2910

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

#7 hobopals

hobopals

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

Indian Forest is more rustic with gravel pads, trees and a large field/nature walk where you can walk your dog. There is a Dollar General right outside the park entrance if you need something in a pinch. The St Johns Flea Market and Farmers Market is just down the road next to I-95.

Thank you for your suggestion, Rollaway. TCW, it is important for us to have a place to walk my lab so I think I'll stick with Indian Forest. As always, Escapees comes through with answers or reassurances. Much appreciated.

#8 nana25k

nana25k

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3230 posts
  • SKP#:97338

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

I think anywhere in Savannah you will have bugs....if they are already out. There is a nice little camp ground north of Savannah across the bridge in Hardeeville, SC. Its about 7 miles from the Savannah VC. Turn right on RT 315. Hardeeville RV is the name.

Yes there are some long term campers there but it seemed very nice 2 years ago. And even if you don't stay there you need to drive over and go to the "PINK PIG" for lunch. then take a break and go just up 17 to the Savannah NWR.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

#9 Nick Russell

Nick Russell

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3064 posts
  • SKP#:56740

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

Hardeeville RV Park in Hardeeville, S.C. is about 15 minutes north of Savannah, is a Passport America park, and has places for your dog. We really liked it, and plan to spend a week or two there on our next trip through the area.
Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper
http://gypsyjournalr...gory/nicksblog/
Author of "Meandering Down The Highway, A Year On The Road With Fulltime RVers" and "Work Your Way Across The USA, You Can Travel & Earn A Living Too!"

#10 Sigzy

Sigzy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1147 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Hardeeville RV park is a great place.
full time for 17 months Rving no longer an option but it was great while it lasted.

#11 Budd

Budd

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2905 posts
  • SKP#:88936

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

We have been here in Stagecoach since last August and have found it most pleasant. There are plenty of trees but it is not overcovered so a dish will work in a lot of sites. We looked at Indian Forest and St Johns RV park (and flea market) before settling here. Each has some plus points but they depend on what one's preferences are. Me, I grew up in central florida and being under drippy oaks with chigger infested spanish moss is not my cup of tea. Also, the upkeep on the park for the price just seems out of balance.

Here, at Stagecoach, we have had comfortable and secure surroundings, ok wifi, mostly and reasonable prices for the area. Because we are here in support of a family emergency in south Jacksonville, we needed to be as close to them as possible. This was the best and closest we could find. All the sites are very large pull thrus except 1 row on either end of the park. Verizon Wifi 4g speeds are up to 33mbps but Sprint 4g is also accessible on the east end of the park and gives up to 7mbps rates.

Stagecoach has not had any mosquitoes since we have been here (8 months) nor flies or gnats. The weather has been more moderate than that in any direction that is more than 10 miles away. 7 miles to the beach and 2 huge outlet malls within 1 mile make most everything you may need, very convenient. Flagler hospital in St augustine, is a class act on the national charts that rank the best hospitals in the US.

Stagecoach park is a half mile west of the interstate. Indian forest is a bit farther than that to the east. The Stagecoach owners have built a model airplane field out behind the park. Occasionally, they have a few folks fly their model planes back there when the weather is right. Kinda cool to watch them do stunts with the Remote COntrol planes.

Both Stagecoach and Indian Forest are about 7 miles from the beaches. But over near the St Augustine Beach on Anastasia Island is the Ocean Grove RV park. It is only a few blocks from the ocean and is every bit as nice as Stagecoach or Indian forest cgs but also has some added facilities like a pool, hot tub, exercise room and so forth. It has good established tree cover, which is unusual for a true beach campground and a lot of their sites are large pull thrus.

The state park on Anastasia island across the river from ST Augustine is large and semi primitive but well kept.It is really mostly for campers with small rvs and tents so big rigs may not find more than a handful of sites that they could even get into.

Up on the North East side of Jacksonville is the Kathryne Hanna City of Jacksonville park. It is about the best of the city/state parks. Lost of room, protected but right next to the beach. THey can handle big rigs have a lot fo bike and hiking trails and some smaller fishing lakes scattered through the park. We stayed there in 2007 and had a blast.

So far, we have sampled all of these parks in the Jacksonville - St Augustine area and still like Stagecoach RV Park the best. Ck my reviews on www.rvparkreviews.com . For perspective I have an HDT pulling a 40' fifth wheel so I am truly a big rig.

I hope you get what you really want from this stay. It is an amazingly enjoyable place to be in this area.

Edited by Emery Nash (Budd), 15 April 2012 - 11:50 PM.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Emery & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

#12 hobopals

hobopals

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Thank you to everyone for responding. I'm going to talk it over with my daughter, and think about the options. I made reservations early just to make sure I had places to stay, but now I have time to decide whether I keep my original plans or change. Even if I keep my reservations, if I find something intolerable, I have a lead to other places. Thank you, again, one and all. I'll post my reviews, wherever we stay, on Campground Reviews, and I may be able to help someone, here on the forum, traveling to the coast in the future.

#13 renegade warrior

renegade warrior

• Validated Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

well I'm a little late geeting into the discussion , but we have stayed in both cities for the last several years, usually in late august.We're 42' fer and volvo so we're 68' total carry smart car and harley in back of 5er.In st Augustine we stay at the KOA just off the island, I find it easy to get into and by calling ahead making sure I get a long spot so I do not have to unhook. You're real close to the beach and not to far from town over the liion bridge.In Savanah we always stay at the Red Gate Plantaion RV park its small number of spaces, wide open and only 8 miles from town. Full hook ups and priced right. It can be very hot at both places but plenty to do when the sun goes down. We do travel with dogs and no problems.
Best of luck happy travels.
Bruce
Bruce & Jean McGeoch
2000 Volvo 770; Custom Bed
465 ISX, 12 spd Freedomline Autoshift
2006 Smart Passion
2007 Harley Ultra Classic
2008 41' Endura Max Toyhualer