47 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Dave

Mr. Dave

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 790 posts
  • SKP#:105185

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

I've found with the higher prices of gas (or diesel) these days that I'm being verbally hassled at the pumps. That is to say, people want to comment on how much fuel is costing me, or how much fuel I'm using. It's getting to the point where I would rather fill up my Class A motor home when there are not a lot of customers around. I prefer early AM or late PM. Usually I get the old "Boy, I'd hate to pay your gas bill". Or another is, "How much does it cost to fill that thing?" I've learned to be polite and explain that we usually sit for months at a time and only travel short distance between places. I then add that I would bet the total gas bill for my motor home for the year is less than the total gas bill for their vehicle for the year. This usually gets them thinking. And it's true because we don't run around every day like these people who are hassling us. How about you? Have you had any issues at the pump or have you been left alone? Thanks, the experiences you have will help us in the future.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

#2 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4160 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

When towing we fuel at the truck pumps and the big trucks around us are filling up with a lot more fuel and it is costing them a lot more so we do not get that kind of hassle. We might get a comment on the the 5th wheel or the truck.So I guess the answer is no we have not got that kind of hassle.
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#3 RBH

RBH

• Validated Members
  • 321 posts
  • SKP#:84675

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

I've found with the higher prices of gas (or diesel) these days that I'm being verbally hassled at the pumps. That is to say, people want to comment on how much fuel is costing me, or how much fuel I'm using. It's getting to the point where I would rather fill up my Class A motor home when there are not a lot of customers around. I prefer early AM or late PM. Usually I get the old "Boy, I'd hate to pay your gas bill". Or another is, "How much does it cost to fill that thing?" I've learned to be polite and explain that we usually sit for months at a time and only travel short distance between places. I then add that I would bet the total gas bill for my motor home for the year is less than the total gas bill for their vehicle for the year. This usually gets them thinking. And it's true because we don't run around every day like these people who are hassling us. How about you? Have you had any issues at the pump or have you been left alone? Thanks, the experiences you have will help us in the future.

Yeah, I usually just say "It holds 160 gal, you do the math" I then turn back to the pump while they're struggling with the numbers.

#4 Barbaraok

Barbaraok

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 7251 posts
  • SKP#:90761

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

"You want to fill it up for me?"

That stops conversations rather quickly.

It is what it is. We either use the Flying J (or other) RV Pumps or are in the truck lane, so people there are in the same boat.

Question for you is why is it bothering you so? People can't bother you if you don't engage with them.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
Full-timimg with our cat Shadow (16 yrs old)
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2004 Subaru Forester toad (Mischief)
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

#5 grumpydoc

grumpydoc

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1234 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

On the rare occasion someone wants to give me a load about my 35K # rig only getting 7 mpg, I tell them I get 245,000 pound-miles/gallon, what does your 2000 # Prius work out to?(answer is 100,000 at 50 mpg). Besides, who's paying for the 240 gal of diesel my truck will hold? Me, that's who, so what's it to you? Fortunately its rarely an issue at the truck stops where I fill up where most of the big boys are getting 6mpg, Best wishes, Jay
'08 Teton Experience 40', '09 FL M2 112 MBE 4000 by 2L Custom Trucks, TrailerSaver air hitch, PressurePro TPMS, Garmin Nuvi, '48 Navigoddess

#6 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4535 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

The correct term is ton-miles per gallon.

So for the rig 125.5 ton-miles per gallon. The Prius is 76 ton-miles per gallon. (3042 lbs)

We get 158 ton-miles per gallon.

A motorscooter only gets 20 ton-miles per gallon.

Edited by Mark & Dale Bruss, 13 April 2012 - 05:38 PM.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2012 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#7 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20302 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Have you had any issues at the pump or have you been left alone? Thanks, the experiences you have will help us in the future.

It happens on occasion as our motorhome had a 75 gallon tank. But I have paid more than $50 just to fill the CR-V so.................... If asked how much it costs a lot of my reaction depends upon the manner in which i was a approached. Sometimes I visit with them, but other times I simply reply with "plenty." And at other times I have informed the person asking that "We do accept donations!" :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#8 nana25k

nana25k

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3232 posts
  • SKP#:97338

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

I don't look at it as a hassle but rather a "teachable moment" to educate people on what we are actually spending/using. They usually walk away better informed....funny thing was that a family member commented on our "fuel guzzling pick-up". I was quick to point out that since we drove actually less than them we didn't use near the fuel they are by driving around their Jeep everyday.

Edited by nana25k, 13 April 2012 - 05:43 PM.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

#9 harry bellerby

harry bellerby

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 862 posts
  • SKP#:41338

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

with the mh,I usually say great mileage for a house,not so good for a car.
c u on the road
airstream harry
2000 Land Yacht MH
2007 Saturn Ion

#10 Rosita

Rosita

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

"Question for you is why is it bothering you so? People can't bother you if you don't engage with them."
---
Agreed. When I'm at the pumps and am asked "How much does that thing hold?", I answer politely, but offer no further comment. If the person persists with "follow-up", usually on the order of "Man, I wish I could afford to spend that much on gas!", I ignore them. Some people are trying to be "friendly", I get that, but others are just clueless and nosy! I feel no obligation to play their game by responding to questions that are none of their business, so I don't, but I sure don't let the questions hassle me! :huh:

#11 Desolation Roe

Desolation Roe

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1915 posts
  • SKP#:106407

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

I quite enjoy most of those conversations. There is a potential teaching moment to help people understand that RVers, in particular long-timers and full-timers have a very low carbon footprint.

We all know why:
don't move much,
don't move often,
very small living space,
small daily driver, either car or motorbike,

I find no problems from anyone when pumping $1000 in the truck lanes as that is a routine transaction for anyone commercial. Instead, the usual comment is "Wow, that's really cool, how does that work for you?".

OTOH, you can't fix stupid, and we get a very few people, usually in campgrounds that ask "Is that truck big enough for ya?".

My standard response is "Its the biggest I could afford at the time, and as this one is a bit bigger than the last one we seem to be going in the right direction" said with a smile.

At that point you get a laugh and a decent conversation, or they stalk off in a huff. I can live with either. ;)

Geo

George, Karen and Bubbles
2008 Volvo 780, 535hp 1850lb/ft D-16 I-Shift, 3.42
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3

“Someone has to do the plowing."

#12 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4513 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Haven't experienced those negative things you mention.

Filling up 100+ gallons of diesel, though, I'm usually there for a while so a little conversation is a welcome distraction.

About the only ones I don't appreciate are the ones that come by either wanting money for whatever or trying to sell me some kind of a ring because they need gas.

Brian

#13 RV

RV

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 8272 posts
  • SKP#:50964

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

I am with you Harry, and the others that never took offense at a comment made by another. Most folks who are looking to poke at one in a mean way will usually respond in strained politeness when I kill 'em with kindness. I love making them stretch when a mean spirit tries to rain on my parade. Being happy, and living well, is the best revenge. Simply because it isn't.
;)

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

#14 grumpydoc

grumpydoc

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1234 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hey Mark, thanks for pointing out that it is correctly ton-miles, but I like to use the incorrect pound-miles because the number is so large sounding when you tell them! Nearly a quarter million pounds for one gallon of diesel makes my truck sound pretty damn fuel efficient don't you think! Best wishes, Jay
'08 Teton Experience 40', '09 FL M2 112 MBE 4000 by 2L Custom Trucks, TrailerSaver air hitch, PressurePro TPMS, Garmin Nuvi, '48 Navigoddess

#15 Technomadia

Technomadia

• Validated Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

We do occasionally get asked about our fuel bill at the pump.. but mostly we take it as folks just being friendly and making conversation. If they feel engaged, we'll tell them about out life on the road and bring up all the points about great fuel economy for a house.

We actually made a blog post recently about this topic.. and did a chart showing how we use similar numbers of gallons of fuel in our bus/MINI combo than we previously did with both of us driving a Prius to commute to work:
Green Your Travel Environmental Nomadism

The real hassle at the pump for us??? Those darn cut off limits at consumer pumps that force us to rerun the credit card every $75-125. Gah.. easily adds an extra 10 minutes to the chore.

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Blog: Technomadia.com
Full-time gen-X technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

RV: Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Toad: Pixel: 2009 MINI Cooper

#16 DaveM

DaveM

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 842 posts
  • SKP#:109123

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

Haven't experienced those negative things you mention.

Filling up 100+ gallons of diesel, though, I'm usually there for a while so a little conversation is a welcome distraction.

About the only ones I don't appreciate are the ones that come by either wanting money for whatever or trying to sell me some kind of a ring because they need gas.

Brian

I agree wholly on your statement of the beggers at the fuel stops Brian, all the other conversations are just passing time anyway. But a little off topic here but this last year I went in a big circle around this country and found that Texas was the worst as far as beggers at the fuel stops, and grocery stores etc. I was in TX for one week in Sept. and there wasn't one time that my wife and I went out that we didn't get approached by somone for money. Pretty much ran from that state..........lol

Now before I get flammed for the statement on TX, I hold no grudge against this state and I am not picking on this state either. This is just what happened for our 1st time in TX.

Dave

Just an added bit here, the bulk of our stay was in Beaumont TX right on I-10 just off the hwy, waiting for our mail to catch up with us.

Edited by DaveM, 14 April 2012 - 06:29 AM.

Dave & Linda
2011 Bighorn 3670
2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

#17 Bill B

Bill B

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3504 posts
  • SKP#:93811

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Brian T - on that truck - I had an older one - If you take out the resrictor in the filler neck, you can get the larger truck nozzle in there. Then you can go to the high speed pumps.

I took the filler out of the truck, two screw clamps underneath and 3 screws in the filler door, put it in a vise, think I opened it with a recip saw, cleaned out the saw particles and reinstalled it. LONG time ago but it was not hard. The new ones - to replace that one when it rusts - are able to take the large ones as is.

Bill and Cecil

1999 Ford PSD CC DRW 6sd Manual | Rear Air Suspension | B&D Exhaust Brake
2004 Volvo 630 Motorhome - Freedomline Tranny | 2003 38' New Horizons 5'er

Photobucket Pictures

#18 Rockintom

Rockintom

• Validated Members
  • 188 posts
  • SKP#:88960

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

This situation never bothers me. But on the few times this has happen, I usually say something like this. It's only $120. to fill this thing and I do it once a day when traveling, but I gotta get rid of all this money somehow, my as well do it having fun!" You see the look on their face. rockin' '

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

#19 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 5873 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

The real hassle at the pump for us??? Those darn cut off limits at consumer pumps that force us to rerun the credit card every $75-125. Gah.. easily adds an extra 10 minutes to the chore.

You can usually bypass the cutoff limit by going inside before you start pumping...they can flip a switch/press a button/whatever to eliminate the cutoff.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#20 Dave W

Dave W

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 946 posts
  • SKP#:56442

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

I usually take it as a person curious about the lifestyle, and try to present a friendly RV'er type of response.
Dave W. KE5GOH
Stuck in the 70's ---
In E. Texas