• This topic is locked This topic is locked
136 replies to this topic

#1 Dave and Sue

Dave and Sue

• Validated Members
  • 110 posts
  • SKP#:105857

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

Noticed in campground reviews that people mention folks cutting through their site, either on foot, or bike, or even golf carts and mopeds. How do the full-time and even not full-time rv folks handle this? Do you confront the people or kids directly or do you speak to the management or owners about it?? If nothing is done do you just grind your teeth and let it go or do you hook up an leave? Also what would be considered your space, side to side, front to back of rv , from pedestal to the other rv pedestal or something else?

Thank you

Dave

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK  42' fifth wheel

Steel deck with toolbox and room for golf car or Razr

#2 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2186 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Personally I ask permission before traversing someone else's site on foot. I wouldn't even think of doing it on wheels.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#3 Dennis M

Dennis M

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2523 posts
  • SKP#:107142

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Never really encountered a problem in campgrounds on the road. At he place where we stay three (or four) months in the winter people re very considerate. That said, out winter site backs up to a public area in the campground and we back in right to the walkway due to our length, and as a result people walk by two feet from our back window, no big deal.
Dennis & Nancy
Geneva, IL & Tucson, AZ

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2011 smart fortwo coupe riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06)
Our Travel Blog

#4 Dick&Joyce

Dick&Joyce

• Validated Members
  • 320 posts
  • SKP#:108945

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Haven't had it happen yet. Our attack cats looking our the window probably keep them away.
Dick and Joyce
2010 3665RE Montana 5th Wheel
2011 Dodge 2500 laramie edition
Norm, Diego @ Bitsy

#5 Newt

Newt

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2467 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

I've found the closer you are to the "facilities", the more it's a problem.

Newt
2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB
2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

#6 grumpydoc

grumpydoc

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1314 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

Not much of a problem here where we winter but it is expressly prohibited in the rules that are given out to each guest. It is more of a problem in the summer when the crowd tends to be more short time/week end guests as opposed to the winter Texans who are mostly repeats or owners and they all tend to obey the rules. When it does become a problem our Resort Manager is empowered to enforce the rules as necessary. During busy times such as Spring Break when we have a lot of kids in the park we have had to run them off of our site occasionally. If it were a common, chronic problem I could see how you could easily be annoyed by such bad and disrespectful behavior, Best wishes, Jay
'08 Teton Experience 40', '09 FL M2 112 MBE 4000 by 2L Custom Trucks, TrailerSaver air hitch, PressurePro TPMS, Garmin Nuvi, '48 Navigoddess

#7 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 17326 posts
  • SKP#:51443

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

We kept that in mind when picking a site, tried to avoid any that looked like they would be high traffic.

A bit of lawn-chair arranging can sometimes help or using your truck/toad as a roadblock. We usually ignored the issue when it happened unless it was a real problem, then we'd move if the gentle hints didn't work.

First rule of computer consulting:
Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.
Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

#8 BRDof3

BRDof3

• Validated Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

A well-placed picnic table, along with our dog's tie-out placed in the middle of the site is generally enough. They rarely try to come through twice.

While working at the CG, I don't hesitate to tell people to respect the other campers' territory.
Working full time, RV'ing now and then. What can't it be the other way around?

#9 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4568 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

As a former offender... is it possible they don't know it's an undesirable behavior?

When we first started out, I did walk through a few campsites without realizing I was doing something wrong. I would pick out an imaginary line that looked like it was right down the middle between campsites and walk through. I didn't know any better.

But when I read about it being a problem here, I have amended my ways and no longer do such, realizing that it's inappropriate, even rude.

I will, however, walk through unoccupied sites with no remorse.

I think my first approach would be to ask the management to have a word with the offenders to see if that might solve the problem. If not, I might do as Stan suggests and make it inconvenient to walk over my site, blocking it somehow. If that didn't work, I might be inclined to see if I could find a different site. If it's still a problem, it's time to move on down the road.

Good luck,

Brian

#10 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21092 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Do you confront the people or kids directly or do you speak to the management or owners about it?? If nothing is done do you just grind your teeth and let it go or do you hook up an leave?

At one time or another, I have done all of those. I have also strung a line about shoulder high and a few other things, but while there are a few who just don't know, most who do this just don't care.

Also what would be considered your space, side to side, front to back of rv , from pedestal to the other rv pedestal or something else?

If you are dealing with two sites or more that are all occupied, there is no public s;ace between the sites, unless there happens to be a designated walkway between them . I generally consider my space to run up near or next to the connections for the next site. What space is not mine, belongs to the next site. To me, walking through an occupied RV site is no different that it would be to shortcut through the space of another person in a motel or hotel. You are using the space that someone else paid for! :huh:

Many parks do have rules about using an unoccupied site to transit through a park and I do not use them that way and consider it a courtesy not to do so, unless it is a case of more than one empty site between the occupied sites. This is walking, but if on my bike, I always follow the roads, if the park is mostly full, I do the same when walking. Because it bothers me to have people cut through, I avoid doing that to others.

I have come to where I do much as Stanley suggests, since it is usually easier to avoid the problem than to deal with it. When we can, I prefer a site on the outside edge of the park, usually to the rear as well. The farther out you are the less traffic there will usually be. If you park near a playground, that seems to invite the intrusion of children, many of whom simply have never been taught respect and manors. When kids do intrude, I usually try first to make friends with them and so instruct them as to the proper courtesy. But I do not accept a site next to a playground or near the pool or other busy facilities if it can be avoided.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#11 Bob Cochran

Bob Cochran

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2020 posts
  • SKP#:105438

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

I do pretty much as Kirk does when I have the problem but seldom have. If it's kids I am way more lenient than if it is adults that should know better. If it really is perpetually done by the same people I ask the park management to do something. For the most part it does not bother me so very much normally and I just ignore it. As for driving through unoccupied spaces with my class 8 Freightliner no way it would irritate me to no end let alone someone else; so I don't do it. Walking through an unoccupied space I will do and see no harm. :)

Own a 37 foot 2014 Keystone Fuzion pulling with 1998 Freightliner Century. Fortunate to retire early intending to full time but circumstances prevents this at the present time. Living in a sticks and bricks home all paid off DW has to have roots some place and this works.

#12 SIBERNUT

SIBERNUT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2846 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

Piano wire?

2000 Volvo 610 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobuc.../?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Nooka & CH. Sedona
dolphins.jpg

#13 Mariner

Mariner

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

Or maybe concertina wire? :blink:

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 saturn Vue

#14 DaveM

DaveM

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 860 posts
  • SKP#:109123

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

Or maybe just don't worry about it? It is a campground and in all the yrs. that I have been camping, which is lets just say a lot of yrs, I have had it happen maybe a handfull of times. I don't think its something that happens that often except I could see maybe some kids doing it. But then again they are kids in a CG having fun and enjoying the campout. They don't know any better, its really not a big deal in my eyes.

Dave
Dave & Linda
2011 Bighorn 3670
2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

#15 BobQ

BobQ

• Validated Members
  • 186 posts
  • SKP#:#96210

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

Or maybe just don't worry about it? It is a campground and in all the yrs. that I have been camping, which is lets just say a lot of yrs, I have had it happen maybe a handfull of times. I don't think its something that happens that often except I could see maybe some kids doing it. But then again they are kids in a CG having fun and enjoying the campout. They don't know any better, its really not a big deal in my eyes.

Dave

;)I agree with you Dave!
Bob and Snookie Quinn
2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed
2012 Mobile Suite 38 Rssb3
Fulltiming it!! SKP#96210
30 years Retired USARMY

#16 irish

irish

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

This year staying in Mesa, we had this problem for the first time. Hubby talked to the offenders and they just started going through the site next door. They were just too lazy to walk a few extra steps to go around the block using the sidewalks. We reported them to the office, but they own a park model, so it is doubtful that anything was done. We definitely won't be staying in that site next year.

#17 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2186 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

While I don't think people should be walking through someone else's camp site, it seems to me if you don't want "neighbors" wandering through, start boondocking and stay out of the parks.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#18 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4307 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

When we camp with our local group in Ohio on weekends and holidays there are lots of kids and young people having a good time week end. Although we are old people we have been known to have a good time also. Kids will be kids and when having a good time that takes precedence. We tend to overlook some of the things we would not here at our permnate winter C,G.At least for weekend. Nothing spoils a good time week end more than a grumpy..stay off my grass..old person.

The worst offenders are dog folks who will let the dog poop anywhere. However in general we do not have a big problem.
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#19 Sigzy

Sigzy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1147 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Walking through my campsite is no different than walking through my yard at the stix and brix to get to the other side of the block.I'll remind you with a smile the first time but after that I may not.
full time for 17 months Rving no longer an option but it was great while it lasted.

#20 Paul-Brenda

Paul-Brenda

• Validated Members
  • 378 posts
  • SKP#:36056

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

Why should you have to start boondocking just because you prefer people not traipse through the site you paid for? It's an air space thing and I don't think anyone should be felt they have to leave a park and boondock simply because others either have no manners, respect for others air space or - are just plain rude and inconsiderate. Maybe they should go boondock and walk where they please.
Enjoying the Fulltime Lifestyle With One Very Bossy Ragdoll & Memories of Her Brother, Alex!
SKP Lifetime Members #36056
FMCA #194874