3 replies to this topic

#1 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1058 posts
  • SKP#:79313

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Is it possible to "lock" a 4G/3G device like a Sierra Wireless 250U in 3G mode so that it doesn't even look for 4G service? If possible, is this something that is device/network specific?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire DP 4095 / 2009 Honda CRV / www.rvSeniorMoments.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't necessarily agree with everything that I say.

-- Marshall McLuhan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3388 posts
  • SKP#:72644

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

If you are using Verizon Access Manager (VZAM), with the device plugged in and the modem active you can hit Ctrl-D and enter the password diagvzm. You will find the setting options there and you can choose the 3G option only.
Some cards like my Pantech have a utility of there own as well at allow this option as well.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#3 Gord

Gord

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1119 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

If you go over to DSL Reports and check out the Sprint or Millenicom forums someone using that device will be able to give you an answer.

Is it possible to "lock" a 4G/3G device like a Sierra Wireless 250U in 3G mode so that it doesn't even look for 4G service? If possible, is this something that is device/network specific?

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

#4 Mobile_Matt

Mobile_Matt

• Validated Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

I don't believe that the 250U has anyway you can lock it in via the software. If your using a Cradlepoint router you can configure it to lock into either 3G or 4G. For reference on older Sprint cards were compatible with a program called "Sierra Watcher", which allowed you to lock the modem into 3G only.