• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Robert and Shelly

Robert and Shelly

• Validated Members
  • 101 posts
  • SKP#:94865

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Thought I would share our recent experience replacing our failed Norcold 1200LR Cooling unit for a brand-new Amish built unit.

Our YouTube video:Our Norcold to Amish Built Cooling Unit Change-out

Hope this helps others!
------
Bobby & Shelly Evans
SKP #94865
Full-timing Class of 2006!
Originally from Delaware
2000 American Dream 40' DS
03 Saturn LW200
http://www.evansrvadventures.com

#2 Don S.

Don S.

• Validated Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

Bob, thanks for the excellent "how to".

#3 Newt

Newt

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2369 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

I've heard good things of the Amish built/rebuilt units. Let us know in 6 mo, a yr or so if it's still doing well. Sooner of course if it isn't. :)

Newt
2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB
2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

#4 rvpopeye

rvpopeye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1141 posts
  • SKP#:78016

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hey Robert: Good Job on the video. B)
You guys probably saved some money for others in the same situation by showing how easy that job is to do,thanks for sharing your experience. ;)
stay tuned
popeye

#5 Robert and Shelly

Robert and Shelly

• Validated Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Thank you for the nice comments everyone! The video is kind of a 'how to' but we intended it more as a 'Our Experience'. Glad others can get some help out of it! I can't say it was the easiest job we have ever done but is definitely doable, we learned alot and saved us a bunch of money. We sure will update the group as time goes by. FYI, today we traveled for the first time since installing the cooling unit, with outside temps in the mid-80's and fridge stayed nice and COLD the whole trip. So far we are VERY happy campers.

Our Norcold to Amish Built Cooling Unit Change-out

B-Safe,

Edited by Robert and Shelly, 06 April 2012 - 05:18 PM.

------
Bobby & Shelly Evans
SKP #94865
Originally from Delaware
03 Saturn LW200

#6 Newt

Newt

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2369 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Put an Ebay refrigerator fan in, you'll like it. It'll work even better.

Newt
2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB
2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

#7 Desolation Roe

Desolation Roe

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1915 posts
  • SKP#:106407

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

Thank you for the nice comments everyone! The video is kind of a 'how to' but we intended it more as a 'Our Experience'. Glad others can get some help out of it! I can't say it was the easiest job we have ever done but is definitely doable, we learned alot and saved us a bunch of money. We sure will update the group as time goes by. FYI, today we traveled for the first time since installing the cooling unit, with outside temps in the mid-80's and fridge stayed nice and COLD the whole trip. So far we are VERY happy campers.

B-Safe,

edit: I get it now, its a contest where the person that makes the best "How to" video gets a refund on their cooling unit.

Great idea! Good luck, your video is super!!

Geo

Edited by Desolation Roe, 07 April 2012 - 08:38 AM.

George, Karen and Bubbles
2008 Volvo 780, 535hp 1850lb/ft D-16 I-Shift, 3.42
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3

“Someone has to do the plowing."

#8 Robert and Shelly

Robert and Shelly

• Validated Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Yep, we have one of these too. They are great and much much better than them cheap battery ones. We bought ours before we changed the cooling unit and continue to use now.

Thanks!

Put an Ebay refrigerator fan in, you'll like it. It'll work even better.

Newt

------
Bobby & Shelly Evans
SKP #94865
Originally from Delaware
03 Saturn LW200

#9 Robert and Shelly

Robert and Shelly

• Validated Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hah. It gets left to me to ask the hard questions.

Do you have any commercial ties of any kind to the guys that put this in for you?

That means installer, manufacturers, inventors, geeks, wizards etc... :) Or any other kinds of commercial or promotional ties you would be embarrassed by later if they surfaced?

The product video is slick. I could not do that, however maybe you are in the business, but I have a hard time grasping that you did this completely for free off of your own generosity.

Personally, we just spent a bunch of money on a Samsung residential fridge in our fiver, but I'm not pumping it on Escapees.

Geo

Geo,

Although Mr.Force includes instructions (written, and we had him send them to us before we bought!), it still was a bit confusing and we had to make several phone calls to him for clarification/direction. Also reading forums from others who shared their experience installing the units was a huge help and encouragement that we could do it ourselves (saving a bunch of money and we don't trust many shops). So AFTER WE (my wife and I !) completed the change-out, finding the SCARY damage we had, and thinking we could help others who decided to change theirs, we decided to put the video together. This was our first video! If you watched it, you will see it's just pictures, made into a slideshow using MS Movie Maker (FREE in Windows7). Cost only time and our experience. Oh and we have been full-timers (class of '06) for 5 1/2yrs and have taken nearly 15,000 pictures!

Only time will tell if the new unit works out (made no claims) but we plan to share how it goes.

Robert
------
Bobby & Shelly Evans
SKP #94865
Originally from Delaware
03 Saturn LW200

#10 Desolation Roe

Desolation Roe

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1915 posts
  • SKP#:106407

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

Excellent. Hope it continues to work well for you

We were starting to see some issues with ours but decided to swap to residential instead and gain some space. I suspect the end costs were likely similar not counting the inverter /battery upgrade we wanted anyway.

Good luck with the contest, it's a great idea!

Geo

George, Karen and Bubbles
2008 Volvo 780, 535hp 1850lb/ft D-16 I-Shift, 3.42
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3

“Someone has to do the plowing."

#11 alaska315

alaska315

• Validated Members
  • 484 posts
  • SKP#:110509

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

REPORTED AGAIN

#12 DonF

DonF

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1115 posts
  • SKP#:103279

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:35 AM

NICE, informative video -- thanks for posting, Bobby!

-Don

p.s. Yep,,, I reported that SPAM'er on another thread, also!
Don & Fannie

2005 Volvo 670, 12sp FreedomLine, "Black Dude", 3.36 axle, Szmyt Wonder-Smart loader,
ET hitch, Jackalopee (original-prototype), BLUE-DOT air-over-hydraulic brake system,
2007 New Horizons F35RLSSS-C (Mor/Ryde-IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 17.5 H tires),
2005 smart fortwo passion

#13 Robert and Shelly

Robert and Shelly

• Validated Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

NICE, informative video -- thanks for posting, Bobby!

-Don

p.s. Yep,,, I reported that SPAM'er on another thread, also!

Thank you Don! I know we aren't up for an OSCAR, LOL, but hope it can help others!
PS...we traveled this week, was pretty toasty (90's) here in southern AZ, and the fridge did great!

------
Bobby & Shelly Evans
SKP #94865
Originally from Delaware
03 Saturn LW200

#14 Spazticus Maximus

Spazticus Maximus

• Validated Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

Duplicate

Edited by Spazticus Maximus, 13 April 2012 - 02:11 PM.

Firefighter not yet retired, dang it!
RV

#15 Spazticus Maximus

Spazticus Maximus

• Validated Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

I did the same job on our refer about four years ago using the same supplier. Still working well. I added some computer chassis cooling fans to the fins on the back of the cooling unit as well as one inside the refer. No refer problems in four years. Excepting an for occasional defrosting, it runs year round.

Edited by Spazticus Maximus, 13 April 2012 - 02:12 PM.

Firefighter not yet retired, dang it!
RV

#16 Smitty

Smitty

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

We too continue to be happy with our decision to swap out the cooling unit with the Amish unit. You could see the difference in the quality. We also added a SS-30 Auto Extinguisher for peace of mind. A smoke detector is also in cabinet at the rear of the unit. Added two other series of pancake fans: 1) one on when the fridge is on; 2) That I turn on if in extra hot weather. The final, was a solar power fridge roof vent. Noticed that lower settings on the fridge, now keep the fridge and freezer where we want it. Also have the little metal blue fan on the inside, and taking reading in multiple locations, have a more consistent temperature.

We liked the size of the unit, and wanted to retain the propane option.

Best to all,
Smitty
Be safe, have fun,
Smitty
04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

#17 Robert and Shelly

Robert and Shelly

• Validated Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

We too continue to be happy with our decision to swap out the cooling unit with the Amish unit. You could see the difference in the quality. We also added a SS-30 Auto Extinguisher for peace of mind. A smoke detector is also in cabinet at the rear of the unit. Added two other series of pancake fans: 1) one on when the fridge is on; 2) That I turn on if in extra hot weather. The final, was a solar power fridge roof vent. Noticed that lower settings on the fridge, now keep the fridge and freezer where we want it. Also have the little metal blue fan on the inside, and taking reading in multiple locations, have a more consistent temperature.

We liked the size of the unit, and wanted to retain the propane option.

Best to all,
Smitty

Thanks for the reports guys, good to hear!

Smitty...yeah we too have the SS-30 fire extinguisher back there; A little extra piece of mind! We didn't do the smoke detector but guess we could add that now if we wanted? Yes, we too have the interior 12v 'metal blue fans' (ebay cheep) and we too think it makes the temps consistent throughout the fridge and keeps fin frost down. On the solar roof vent...We are about to replace our roof vent Cap as it's cracked. Is the Camco solar unit really worth it? Easy to install?
Thanks,
------
Bobby & Shelly Evans
SKP #94865
Originally from Delaware
03 Saturn LW200

#18 jjwicklund

jjwicklund

• Validated Members
  • 397 posts
  • SKP#:105850

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

I didn't look at your install video but my Dometic is sitting on the kitchen floor waiting to be re-installed in it's cubby after replacing the cooling unit with an Amish built. I had a heck of a time removing the old cooling unit, I had to dig out 2/3's of the old foam before I could hank it out.

Following their instructions installing the new unit I found that the frame was 1/8" off from the original which made replacement difficult. I also had to do major remodeling of the burner bracket it was off 1" in both vertical and horizontal. When I called about this I was told "it can't be they're all built on the same jigs but they sometimes bounced around in transit". I did order the correct unit and the supplied bracket was identical to the one on my old unit. The instructions stated my old bracket would screw right on.

I finally got to use many of the tools I've been hauling around the last two years.

If it cools as well as reported it still be a $950. savings over a new fridge and it's a lot longer than a 4 hr job.
John
2009 F350 PS CC DRW 4X4 Lariat
2004 Hitchhiker 33.5 RLTG DA LS

#19 Robert and Shelly

Robert and Shelly

• Validated Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

I didn't look at your install video but my Dometic is sitting on the kitchen floor waiting to be re-installed in it's cubby after replacing the cooling unit with an Amish built. I had a heck of a time removing the old cooling unit, I had to dig out 2/3's of the old foam before I could hank it out.

Following their instructions installing the new unit I found that the frame was 1/8" off from the original which made replacement difficult. I also had to do major remodeling of the burner bracket it was off 1" in both vertical and horizontal. When I called about this I was told "it can't be they're all built on the same jigs but they sometimes bounced around in transit". I did order the correct unit and the supplied bracket was identical to the one on my old unit. The instructions stated my old bracket would screw right on.

I finally got to use many of the tools I've been hauling around the last two years.

If it cools as well as reported it still be a $950. savings over a new fridge and it's a lot longer than a 4 hr job.

I can't comment on the Dometic units (refurb/new?) but our old Norcold cooling unit came out very easy. Oh course that could be because this was the second cooling unit in the fridge and the installer did a CRAPPY job and wasn't sealed very good. Not sure who you purchased through but David at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse was great to deal with. Wasn't the easiest, fastest fix we have done but is doable and we're happy with the results.

------
Bobby & Shelly Evans
SKP #94865
Originally from Delaware
03 Saturn LW200