#1 Gord

Gord

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1122 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

This was just posted at DSL Reports
Updated Plan options from Millenicom being released very soon:

Basic Plan $49.99/month, 5 gigabytes/month, $49.99 activation, $15.00 shipping, free device (must return it to close account) HSPA+ speeds
3G/4G Advanced Plan $69.99/month, 20 gigabytes/month (10 gigs can be 4G), $99.99 device purchase: Novatel 551L, $49.99 activation, $15.00 shipping
3G/4G Hotspot Plan $69.99/month, 20 gigabytes/month (10 gigs can be 4G), $99.99 device purchase: Novatel MiFi, $49.99 activation, $15.00 shipping
3G/4G Unlimited Plan $69.99/month (up to 50 gigabytes/month) $99.99 device purchase: Franklin 602U, $49.99 activation, $15.00 shipping
BYOD Plan $69.99/month (up to 50 gigabytes/month) must be Sprint device, $49.99 activation
Returning Client Plan any past account using a device purchased from Millenicom can be reactivated at the previous cost and terms, $19.99 reactivation fee

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27062777-New-Devices-and-Plans-from-Millenicom-.-coming-soon

Edited by Gord, 29 March 2012 - 08:53 PM.

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

#2 Dutch_12078

Dutch_12078

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1491 posts
  • SKP#:103135

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for the update, Gord. I see that the Novatel MiFi is already listed at Millenicom.com in place of the Samsung. The other changes probably won't be far behind.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F-53 Chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS

Quadra Bigfoot EZ Leveler System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

#3 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 5873 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

Can you tell us which provider each plan uses (e.g., Verizon, Sprint, etc.)?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#4 Gord

Gord

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1122 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

i would only be guessing . Best to ask those questions at the thread I put the link to at DSL Reports.

Can you tell us which provider each plan uses (e.g., Verizon, Sprint, etc.)?

Keeping You Connected

#5 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4513 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the info, Gord.

It appears that Millenicom is well aware of how the plans that they offer and the equipment that goes with affects the satisfaction of their customers, and that's a good thing. In their case, there are no 2 year contracts that customers get locked into. Seems to create a business atmosphere that requires action on their part to keep the customers happy.

Happy customers stay and pay. Unhappy customers go away. And if when they go away, and they end up signing a 2 year contract with the competition, they won't likely be potential customers for another 2 years. Ouch!!

:)

Brian

#6 arpijay

arpijay

• Validated Members
  • 47 posts
  • SKP#:107531

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

Does anybody know which Novatel MiFI device they will offer? I checked the website and they didn't specify and Novatel makes several Verizon-compatible 3G/4G MiFi devices.
Richard, Susan and our bipolar Siamese, Mister Meowto.
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40' DP with a Ford Transit Connect toad.

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

#7 Technomadia

Technomadia

• Validated Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

Sweet... thanks for passing on the news, Gord!

Thrilled they are ditching the Samsung for the 4G/3G plans.

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Blog: Technomadia.com
Full-time gen-X technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

RV: Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Toad: Pixel: 2009 MINI Cooper

#8 arpijay

arpijay

• Validated Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

Answered my own question. Novatel 4510L. I ordered it last Thursday and it arrived today. I am only getting a 3G connection where I am located right now and cannot see any difference in speed between the USB760 and the Novatel MiFi. However, I got the Mifi not for greater speed (although when we are in 4G territory I will not turn it down) but so I can share the connection painlessly with my wife's laptop, my laptop, her Nook and my netbook. So far so good.

The out-of-the-box experience was reasonably okay, but the instructions were very sparse and I ended up downloading the 4510L user manual from Novatel. You'll definitely need the manual to use any of the advanced options or to modify any of the default settings. It would have been nice if Millenicom included the manual or had it available on their website but it only took me 30 seconds to search for and find it so that really wasn't a big deal.

I am semi-retired and work 10-15 hours a week on the internet. We've been living in our motor home full time since last June and I have to say that I have used my Millenicom modem far oftener than whatever wifi has been provided in the campgrounds we've stayed at. I've only run across one campground (on the Canadian border) where there was no 3G signal at all and had to trek up the hill with my laptop every day to use the campground's hot spot. Other than that it has been very reliable and fast enough for my needs.

FYI, when you order the MiFi from Millenicom they make an assumption on how soon it will get to your address and pro-rate the number of days left in the month and then charge you accordingly. I ordered it early in the month because we will be moving on soon and getting our mail will become problematic for a while. I will cancel my other account with Millenicom (for the USB760) at the end of this month.

#9 Desolation Roe

Desolation Roe

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1915 posts
  • SKP#:106407

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Dumb question time. I know that Millenicom likes you to use their devices.

With the new plans coming out, what are the possibilities that you might be able to obtain one of these plans with a SIM that would fit one of the new iPads and so unofficially get service through the iPad rather than a more standard device?

Geo

George, Karen and Bubbles
2008 Volvo 780, 535hp 1850lb/ft D-16 I-Shift, 3.42
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3

“Someone has to do the plowing."

#10 bukzin

bukzin

• Validated Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

[quote name='arpijay'

Other than that it has been very reliable and fast enough for my needs. [/font]

Have you checked its speed at http://www.speedtest.net/
or one of the other test sites?

Thanks
Bukzin
1977 GMC Palm Beach

#11 bukzin

bukzin

• Validated Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Dumb question time. I know that Millenicom likes you to use their devices.

With the new plans coming out, what are the possibilities that you might be able to obtain one of these plans with a SIM that would fit one of the new iPads and so unofficially get service through the iPad rather than a more standard device?

Geo

Good question! I wonder if any of their devises support a SIM card? This would make them MUCH more useful.
Bukzin
1977 GMC Palm Beach

#12 arpijay

arpijay

• Validated Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

I tried several different internet speed test sites and got different results both between the different sites and in multiple trials at the same site. Ran the tests in a 20 minute time range in the afternoon on a weekday. Cell tower is about a half mile away (4 out 4 bars for the MiFi). Range for download was 0.9 mbytes/sec to 1.7 mbytes/sec, average around 1.4. Range for upload speed was 0.2 mbytes/sec to 0.7 mbytes/sec, average around 0.4. For my job I do a remote access into a PC over a VPN and run it from my laptop. There is always a bit of a lag for keystrokes that I've gotten used to, which seems to be mostly bandwidth related. I've stayed at two campgrounds this year with really superior WiFi and found the lag almost nonexistent (which is pretty good all things considered for a 3600 mile round trip). This is versus mostly okay most of the time with the Millenicom USB or MiFi. I have not been in 4G territory with the MiFi yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

#13 Wes Sims

Wes Sims

• Validated Members
  • 121 posts
  • SKP#:53515

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

Got my 4510 today. Setup was easy after I managed to download a copy of the manual. That was a bit tricky as the Novatel site did not give me an option to do anything other than print (78 pages!). Had to trick it to print to my Neat Scanner.

I'm apparently on a Verizon tower, which the Millenicom representative told me I would be. He said the map indicated I would have a good signal. I do, all 4 bars. Download speed on Speedtest.net was 20Mbps, upload 6Mpbs. Not bad.

I was told that if you used up 10GB of 4G you would automatically revert to 3G for that 10GB instead of staying on 4G and getting an overcharge. Has anyone verified that it works that way for real. If so, it's a really good package.

#14 Wes Sims

Wes Sims

• Validated Members
  • 121 posts
  • SKP#:53515

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

Update after 24 hours. My IPad and Acer 500 Android tablets connected with no problems. Everything still up and operational. Not sure I'm going to want to carry it in a pocket, unless it has a good heat shield. It does get pretty warm. That also raises the question as to how long it will last on battery alone. Will have to try that when I get time.

One feature I had not expected: I had understood that one of the limitations of MIFI was lack of an external antenna. Mine has an external antenna port. Haven't rounded up my collection of pigtails for my Wilson Trucker to see if I have one that will fit yet.

#15 Gord

Gord

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1122 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

That device takes a new adapter that fits it and the 4620 . Do not try and use just any old adapter you have laying around . Doing so could damage your device permanent! Adapters are device specific and using an adapter for another device could ruin your new device . Spend the dollars and get the new adapter . If you are looking for the appropriate adapter that will fit your Wilson Components . I suggest WWW.WPSantennas.com

Update after 24 hours. My IPad and Acer 500 Android tablets connected with no problems. Everything still up and operational. Not sure I'm going to want to carry it in a pocket, unless it has a good heat shield. It does get pretty warm. That also raises the question as to how long it will last on battery alone. Will have to try that when I get time.

One feature I had not expected: I had understood that one of the limitations of MIFI was lack of an external antenna. Mine has an external antenna port. Haven't rounded up my collection of pigtails for my Wilson Trucker to see if I have one that will fit yet.

Edited by Gord, 04 May 2012 - 08:05 PM.

Keeping You Connected