• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ray & carol

Ray & carol

• Validated Members
  • 133 posts
  • SKP#:100459

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

We will be traveling I-75 southbound in about a monthe and wondeing if ayone knows of a good location to stop at i.e. Walmart, truckstop, or campgrounds? Locations around Atlanta are out doesn't seem to safe according to some reviews. Any suggestions?

#2 Rover

Rover

• Validated Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

I stopped in Macon in the Fall of 2009 at Interstate RV Park. Just an overnight, it was raining and believe I paid $25.00 for 30 amp W/E site. I believe it was at the Junction with Ga 96. Rover

Edited by Rover, 29 March 2012 - 12:58 PM.

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

#3 David & Lorna Schinske

David & Lorna Schinske

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2590 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

You need to narrow it down a little more. We used to "long-term" in Cordele (I-75 Exit 101). For overnight/fast in/out would be the Walmart. At 5PM the truckers start pulling in since the Truckstop a couple exits north fills up fast. For a nice quiet campground, there is GA Vets SP about 10-12 miles west of town. Nice park. We have stayed there often. Restaurants are kinda iffy. We really only recommend one (Smoakies BBQ). We generally ate either at Smoakies or Cracker Barrel (worst CB of all the ones we have been it but better than the other restaurants in town). Or we rode up to Perry and ate at Hong Kong Buffet (our bank had a branch in Perry). As for the local parks closer to the interstate, we looked at them for longer term parking but didn't like what we saw. Might be okay for an overnight. But if we were in the area even for overnight, we would go to Ga Vets. We would also stretch it to a couple nights if possible. We like the park. It's one of our favs. Heaven knows we spent enough time there.

If interested in overnighting, Perry GA Wal-Mart also allows. Just park closer to the highway than the Wal-Mart (Wal-mart has thin pavement and that's why they don't like heavy vehicles in their part of the parking lot... just park out with the semi's). Hong Kong Buffet was decent while we were there a few years ago.

#4 Mike & Joanna

Mike & Joanna

• Validated Members
  • 12 posts
  • SKP#:099187

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

I stopped in Macon in the Fall of 2009 at Interstate RV Park. Just an overnight, it was raining and believe I paid $25.00 for 30 amp W/E site. I believe it was at the Junction with Ga 96. Rover

We stopped at Interstate RV Park last year on our way home - I wouldn't stop there again - lots of permanent residents in old and decrepit RV's - Walmart would have been a better choice...

Mike & Joanna
2010 Heartland Sundance 2900MK
2012 Ford F250 King Ranch CC Diesel
Heartland Owners Club #1452
SKP #99187

#5 innaliza

innaliza

• All Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

Might be okay for an overnight...

#6 alaska315

alaska315

• Validated Members
  • 484 posts
  • SKP#:110509

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

Try the Atlanta Farmers Market on the southside.It is the first exit south of 285 when you get back on I-75 and is on the east side of the interstate.

They have a truck stop there and the entire place is State property entirely fenced in with it's own Police Dept so very safe.

Plenty of parking west of the truck stop in the parking lot and in the morning you can get breakfast there or buy some fruits and veggies.

One other thing,when you pull in there is actually a guard and you just tell him/her you are buying produce and fuel in the morning and ask where to park.

Great place and I have stayed there many times over the years.

#7 ed ed

ed ed

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

We've overnighted at these two GA state parks. Right off I-75. Both are good choices depending on where you are on 75.

http://www.gastateparks.org/HighFalls

http://www.gastatepa...org/ReedBingham

Enjoy your trip:
Ed
Wishing everyone fair winds and a following sea.

#8 Mike & Joanna

Mike & Joanna

• Validated Members
  • 12 posts
  • SKP#:099187

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Earlier this month we stopped at Twin Oaks RV Park (http://twinoaksrvpark.com/) just south of Perry - excellent stop over just off I-75 and is a Passport America park.

Mike & Joanna
2010 Heartland Sundance 2900MK
2012 Ford F250 King Ranch CC Diesel
Heartland Owners Club #1452
SKP #99187

#9 Snedwid

Snedwid

• Validated Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

We stopped at Interstate RV Park last year on our way home - I wouldn't stop there again - lots of permanent residents in old and decrepit RV's - Walmart would have been a better choice...

I'm new here, so this might be a dumb question, but why does,"lots of permanent residents in old and decrepit RV's " make it a bad place ? What negative thing (s) happened, and what specific safeguards should be undertaken?

#10 Ga Hippie

Ga Hippie

• Validated Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

I would vote for High Falls State Park. Nice wooded sites along the river. Don't know what size RV you have but some sites are a little small for a large one. I would definitely call ahead for reservations, it sometimes gets busy on the weekends.
05 Volvo 630, ISX, factory single, 40' Crossroads Crossterrain Toy Hauler.

#11 sonomalake

sonomalake

• Validated Members
  • 368 posts
  • SKP#:97754

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

You didn't say how far south on I-75 you will be traveling but be aware that southbound lanes are gone in the mountains in TN. Tennessee I-75 South is closed at mile marker 141 because the higway has washed out. We had to get off at exit 160 and take a detour and get back on at exit 134, The detour was a winding mountain road with switch backs and sharp turns. It took a long time to get through.
sonomalake SKP097754
Knowledge is a wonderful thing. Life experience is even better!!

#12 David & Lorna Schinske

David & Lorna Schinske

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2590 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

I'm new here, so this might be a dumb question, but why does,"lots of permanent residents in old and decrepit RV's " make it a bad place ? What negative thing (s) happened, and what specific safeguards should be undertaken?

Since the folks who posted the objection, nor any one else, will answer your question...

Some folks do not like being around other folks who live in RVs and work at jobs, particularly manual labourers. I do not know why since I am pretty sure the folks who object to working folks used to work themselves.

Some folks do not like being around older RV's unless they are the "cool" and therefore acceptable RVs.

Some folks don't like to be around "alternative" or "homemade" RV's.

Some folks do not like being around folks who live in older RV's fulltime yet never or rarely move them (it has been said on this forum those are not "real" fulltimers). I'm still trying to figure out the difference between those folks and the "park model" folks, except for the the newer & more "homogenous" appearance you get with newer RV's & park models.

I think there are far too many on this forum who prefer the "homogenous" look but I have also been told I am wrong by many especially about what I think. There are some here will disagree with me even if I said water was wet. It's why I am only on this forum when I have to log in to answer a PM. Draw your own conclusions. A park is not good or bad because it has permanent residents, workers, retirees, older RV or home conversions. A good park has clean bathhouse/laundry and good hookups. We prefer a "campground" type park (often dirt or gravel pads) over a concrete or asphalt slab type park (no dif than parking in a parking lot). But cleanliness is the most important. A dirty bathhouse (even if we don't use it) tends to indicate things may be lax in other areas. While I understand holiday weekends, I do base a great deal of my opinion of a campground on the cleanliness of the bathhouse. Dirty bathhouse and we most likely would not stay there long term.

There are lots of "rules" and "definitions" made up by some folks. But pay no attention to me as I am not a "real" fulltimer.

#13 Snedwid

Snedwid

• Validated Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

David and Lorna,,, Tnx for the explanation, much appreciated,,, I feel better now that I know the reason behind the reason. As for us, we pretty much stop anywhere, and get along with most folks,,, if someone is a real irritant, I just pick up and move,,, I love those round black thingeys under my rig :-)

#14 RonBoyd

RonBoyd

• Validated Members
  • 20 posts
  • SKP#:SKP101114

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:49 AM

Since the folks who posted the objection, nor any one else, will answer your question...

Some folks do not like...

+1

#15 rvreb

rvreb

• Validated Members
  • 139 posts
  • SKP#:099890

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

We not safe? We stop in Atlanta area many times, but not many parks available.

We usually stay at Twin Lakes RV park in Cumming (north Atlanta).

We will be traveling I-75 southbound in about a monthe and wondeing if ayone knows of a good location to stop at i.e. Walmart, truckstop, or campgrounds? Locations around Atlanta are out doesn't seem to safe according to some reviews. Any suggestions?

#16 rvreb

rvreb

• Validated Members
  • 139 posts
  • SKP#:099890

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

Some folks do not like being around other folks who live in RVs and work at jobs, particularly manual labourers. I do not know why since I am pretty sure the folks who object to working folks used to work themselves.

Some folks do not like being around older RV's unless they are the "cool" and therefore acceptable RVs.

Some folks don't like to be around "alternative" or "homemade" RV's.

Some folks do not like being around folks who live in older RV's fulltime yet never or rarely move them (it has been said on this forum those are not "real" fulltimers). I'm still trying to figure out the difference between those folks and the "park model" folks, except for the the newer & more "homogenous" appearance you get with newer RV's & park models.

I think there are far too many on this forum who prefer the "homogenous" look but I have also been told I am wrong by many especially about what I think. There are some here will disagree with me even if I said water was wet. It's why I am only on this forum when I have to log in to answer a PM. Draw your own conclusions. A park is not good or bad because it has permanent residents, workers, retirees, older RV or home conversions. A good park has clean bathhouse/laundry and good hookups. We prefer a "campground" type park (often dirt or gravel pads) over a concrete or asphalt slab type park (no dif than parking in a parking lot). But cleanliness is the most important. A dirty bathhouse (even if we don't use it) tends to indicate things may be lax in other areas. While I understand holiday weekends, I do base a great deal of my opinion of a campground on the cleanliness of the bathhouse. Dirty bathhouse and we most likely would not stay there long term.

There are lots of "rules" and "definitions" made up by some folks. But pay no attention to me as I am not a "real" fulltimer.

DANG GOOD POST!!!