International 4700 LP crew cab?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#1 77 Spartan

77 Spartan

• Validated Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

Are there any members pulling their trailers or 5er's with one of these trucks? Any pros or cons?

We looked at one the other day, it was a crew cab flat bed low profile truck and the bed would be perfect to haul the car and we would be able to pull TT.

Edited by 77 Spartan, 27 March 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#2 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18405 posts
  • SKP#:51443

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Correctly set up they make decent RV haulers, I had one for several years and was reasonably happy with it. There are ones out there that aren't so good, smaller engines, less then 275 HP 800 torque, five speed Allisons or poor choices of manual transmissions, spring rear suspensions or a too heavy air suspension. If you post the details about the truck you are looking at folks can comment on it.

First rule of computer consulting:
Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.
Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

#3 SWharton

SWharton

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1001 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:39 AM

We have had ours for 12 years and love it. Best tow vehicle we have ever had and we feel safe in it. No questions about stopping or tow capacity. Back in the 90's we had tried a pu truck and it was a horror. We did all the numbers and had bought the right truck with the right accessories, just the mfg lied. After buying our 4700 we met a cop who had done the same thing, did all the research etc. and had a white knuckle trip with his pu truck. He saw us pull in and made a beeline for us, talked to us about the truck for over an hour.

Plenty of storage in ours(Stalick conversion), 4 door etc. Climbs big hills a little slow when towing but who cares, we are retired!!!

#4 77 Spartan

77 Spartan

• Validated Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

Correctly set up they make decent RV haulers, I had one for several years and was reasonably happy with it. There are ones out there that aren't so good, smaller engines, less then 275 HP 800 torque, five speed Allisons or poor choices of manual transmissions, spring rear suspensions or a too heavy air suspension. If you post the details about the truck you are looking at folks can comment on it.

As you may know we were interested in an HD tractor, but it seems to be such a big hassle going this route with registration, CDL and such so we started looking for a truck that would possibly fit our needs with as little hassle as possible.
We still want a crew cab, so we can have a spot for the snauzers to sit or relax and not be cramped.

I am totally lost when it comes to gear ratio, torque and transmissions for hauling heavy loads, so if you could possibly make some recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated.
We looked at this truck (link below) and another 4700LP recently, both had about the same specifications. The 4700LP we looked at sold, but this one in the link below is still available. I have seen in other ads for International 4700LP with flat bed, AC and even a sleeper for around the same price or less than what he is asking. I think his price seems to be a bit high.

Truck ad details:
4 door, 8 speed fuller Trans, 203K miles. Front tires like new, 530 pwr, no AC; truck has 202K miles on it.

http://phoenix.craig...2884867590.html

#5 77 Spartan

77 Spartan

• Validated Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

We have had ours for 12 years and love it. Best tow vehicle we have ever had and we feel safe in it. No questions about stopping or tow capacity. Back in the 90's we had tried a pu truck and it was a horror. We did all the numbers and had bought the right truck with the right accessories, just the mfg lied. After buying our 4700 we met a cop who had done the same thing, did all the research etc. and had a white knuckle trip with his pu truck. He saw us pull in and made a beeline for us, talked to us about the truck for over an hour.

Plenty of storage in ours(Stalick conversion), 4 door etc. Climbs big hills a little slow when towing but who cares, we are retired!!!

I have read too many horror stories of the white knuckle trip and this is one reason we want to get into a MDT for hauling our TT with our car on the bed. A semi tractor would be great in some ways and in some way not, so this is why the international caught our interest due to cab space, registration, Tags, no CDL and so on.

As far as racing up and down the mountain, that is not a big deal to us. We will not be in any hurry and if anything, going a bit slower allows you to view the country side ;)

If I may ask, what is a Stalick conversion? Do you have any pics of your rig you would share? Do you haul your car on the bed?

#6 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18405 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Truck ad details:
4 door, 8 speed fuller Trans, 203K miles. Front tires like new, 530 pwr, no AC; truck has 202K miles on it.

http://phoenix.craig...2884867590.html

No details there that tell you anything about the truck other than it has a manual transmission and no air conditioning. I don't know enough to comment on the various manual transmissions because I'd never consider one myself.

I'd guess that it is a scrapped wrecker construction materials hauler and would cost a fortune to make into a survivable RV hauler, more to make a nice hauler.

You need an automatic or auto-shift transmission, air ride rear suspension and if available cab among other things. Take a look at some of the trucks listed here for a good idea of what to look for.

#7 77 Spartan

77 Spartan

• Validated Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

No details there that tell you anything about the truck other than it has a manual transmission and no air conditioning. I don't know enough to comment on the various manual transmissions because I'd never consider one myself.

I'd guess that it is a scrapped wrecker construction materials hauler and would cost a fortune to make into a survivable RV hauler, more to make a nice hauler.

You need an automatic or auto-shift transmission, air ride rear suspension and if available cab among other things. Take a look at some of the trucks listed here for a good idea of what to look for.

the manual tranny was one big fall back about this vehicle. The LP we looked at was auto transmission which my wife likes because she can drive it and it was set up to pull a big 5er. It was truly a sweet outfit.

What is a good gear ratio for rear ends? What do you consider a good automatic transmission, brand name....etc?

#8 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18405 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

For an automatic, an Allison MD3000 series is the only good transmission, the six speed is better for RV use than the five speed. The older Allisons, four speeds and different series numbers aren't so good.

Gears in the differential depend on the transmission you have, the power available and your tire diameter. There is no simple answer here since two different transmissions can have very different internal ratios and the tire diameter varies so much it has to be considered.

Getting an MDT or HDT is not a simple process, the options list on my IH 4700 ran to a dozen printed pages.

#9 77 Spartan

77 Spartan

• Validated Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

For an automatic, an Allison MD3000 series is the only good transmission, the six speed is better for RV use than the five speed. The older Allisons, four speeds and different series numbers aren't so good.

Gears in the differential depend on the transmission you have, the power available and your tire diameter. There is no simple answer here since two different transmissions can have very different internal ratios and the tire diameter varies so much it has to be considered.

Getting an MDT or HDT is not a simple process, the options list on my IH 4700 ran to a dozen printed pages.

Stanley, thank you for the tips, I appreciate it!

#10 SWharton

SWharton

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1001 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

Have you checked the Escapees MDT website and forum? There are usually some MDTs for sale there.

I thought I had a picture of mine but can't locate it.

#11 HJ

HJ

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:59 AM

As you may know we were interested in an HD tractor, but it seems to be such a big hassle going this route with CDL and such so we started looking for a truck that would possibly fit our needs with as little hassle as possible.

CDL= COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE... No CDL is needed for any non commercial use of an HDT.
www.FairTax.org

#12 alaska315

alaska315

• Validated Members
  • 484 posts
  • SKP#:110509

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

I have a friend that has one of the crew cab models with a 466 diesel and manual tran.He hauls cars nationwide with his.
I recall the trans went at about 200K and he always seemed to have issues with the A/C bracket breaking until he came up with another added bracket to repair "their" weak link.

Other than that,he seems quite happy with his.

#13 Harold Martin

Harold Martin

• Validated Members
  • 76 posts
  • SKP#:110329

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

CDL= COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE... No CDL is needed for any non commercial use of an HDT.

Evidently you have never lived in Maryland.

Take Care
Harold
American by birth, Southern by the grace of Almighty God

#14 HJ

HJ

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

OOPS ! double post... :blink:

Edited by HJ, 31 March 2012 - 05:35 AM.

www.FairTax.org

#15 HJ

HJ

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

Take Care
Harold

Never lived in Maryland... If they do require a CDL for a noncommercial vehicle they are wrong.
www.FairTax.org

#16 HJ

HJ

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

Take Care
Harold

Never lived in Maryland... If they do require a CDL for a noncommercial vehicle they are wrong. I can understand a state wanting to implement a noncommercial license for private vehicles of a certain wight but it shouldn't be a CDL.
www.FairTax.org

#17 77 Spartan

77 Spartan

• Validated Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

In Arizona, you need a CDL to drive an HDT semi tractor.
It is next to impossible or should I say (impossible) to register an HDT as an RV or personal (non commercial vehicle) in this state, even if you meet all the requirements.

This was one reason why we started searching different avenues when looking for a tow vehicle. .....not ruling out the HDT, just exploring options.
The International 4700 crew cab is closer to what we need VS an HDT with a sleeper.

#18 Truckman

Truckman

• Validated Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Maryland does offer a non commercial class A and B.

Larry

#19 hjsdds

hjsdds

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4542 posts
  • SKP#:55125

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

The best thing about the truck is the 530 engine (that's 530 cubic inch, 8.7 Liter in line six). At that time that was the largest MDT engine you could have in an MDT. Coupled to pretty much any tranny (other than 4 speeds) you should be able to find a gear that will keep you moving smartly. Lot of the 4700s were built with the 7.2 Liter V-8 diesel which was a good engine but a a real dog on hills with anything over 12,000 pounds. I had one.

hjs
Davena and Henry Szmyt
Volvo VNL 770 aka 'Kechup' and the ET HDT Hitch
40ft. custom built Royals International, Homestead 5th wheel by Carriage ' A1'
Designer & Mfgr. The 'ET' and ET Jr. Hitch, Jackalopee
Designer of the New England Wonder Bed.
RDBE, MDT President

#20 77 Spartan

77 Spartan

• Validated Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

The best thing about the truck is the 530 engine (that's 530 cubic inch, 8.7 Liter in line six). At that time that was the largest MDT engine you could have in an MDT. Coupled to pretty much any tranny (other than 4 speeds) you should be able to find a gear that will keep you moving smartly. Lot of the 4700s were built with the 7.2 Liter V-8 diesel which was a good engine but a a real dog on hills with anything over 12,000 pounds. I had one.

hjs

I have seen a few of those when searching ads. We are still looking as we have plenty of time while we are restoring the trailer to fits our needs and give this old girl some new life.

Thank you for the information.

Edited by 77 Spartan, 22 April 2012 - 01:38 PM.