Jump to content


Photo

Worried about out RV decision


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#1 Marcia E

Marcia E

    Full Member

  • Validated Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

My husband and I signed the contract for a 2012 Fleetwood Discovery (our first RV) on 2/13/2012 and are still waiting for the dealer to complete the prep work. It is unclear to us if the issue is with Fleetwood not delivering needed parts (as the dealer claims) or with the dealer (La Mesa in Mesa, AZ) who only gives us information if we contact them and whose owner did not make time to meet with us or even call us at this weekend's Good Sam Rally.
We really liked the Discovery and La Mesa was the most convenient dealer, but we are considering just canceling the deal and starting over with either the brand of RV or the dealer or both.
Any advice?


#2 George Stoltz

George Stoltz

    Major Contributor

  • Validated Members
  • 2791 posts
  • SKP#:99899

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

My husband and I signed the contract for a 2012 Fleetwood Discovery (our first RV) on 2/13/2012 and are still waiting for the dealer to complete the prep work. It is unclear to us if the issue is with Fleetwood not delivering needed parts (as the dealer claims) or with the dealer (La Mesa in Mesa, AZ) who only gives us information if we contact them and whose owner did not make time to meet with us or even call us at this weekend's Good Sam Rally.
We really liked the Discovery and La Mesa was the most convenient dealer, but we are considering just canceling the deal and starting over with either the brand of RV or the dealer or both.
Any advice?


Marcia,

I sent you a private message. Run from this dealer as fast as you can. See my private message.
George Stoltz



#3 Nick Russell

Nick Russell

    Major Contributor

  • Validated Members
  • 3064 posts
  • SKP#:56740

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

If they are jerking you around like this before they have your money, what do you think it's going to be like one they have cashed your check if you have a problem. And trust me, with ANY RV purchase there are always problems! I'd walk away form this outfit. I've not been impressed with them in the past.
Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper
http://gypsyjournalr...gory/nicksblog/
Author of "Meandering Down The Highway, A Year On The Road With Fulltime RVers" and "Work Your Way Across The USA, You Can Travel & Earn A Living Too!"

#4 richfaa

richfaa

    Major Contributor

  • Validated Members
  • 4162 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:37 AM

"My husband and I signed the contract for a 2012 Fleetwood Discovery (our first RV) on 2/13/2012 " I would say it is to late to back out. Sounds like the dealer has the coach. May be a hard lesson learned. It will not be easy to get out of a signed contract and my guess is $$ have changed hands already.???????
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#5 irish

irish

    Major Contributor

  • Validated Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

Marcia,

I sent you a private message. Run from this dealer as fast as you can. See my private message.



I wholeheartedly agree with this one. We go there to look and are treated badly and lied to all the time. They hate that I look up things on the interent to prove them wrong.:lol:

#6 wingerphil

wingerphil

    Senior Member

  • Validated Members
  • 297 posts
  • SKP#:99100

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

"My husband and I signed the contract for a 2012 Fleetwood Discovery (our first RV) on 2/13/2012 " I would say it is to late to back out. Sounds like the dealer has the coach. May be a hard lesson learned. It will not be easy to get out of a signed contract and my guess is $$ have changed hands already.???????


Possibly correct but I would think the buyer would have some leverage since the Coach has not been delivered as contracted by the dealer and the buyer has been unable to take delivery due to the delays caused by the dealer.
http://workinrvers.blogspot.com
2002 Winnebago Journey DL
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide
2007 Dodge Dakota

#7 richfaa

richfaa

    Major Contributor

  • Validated Members
  • 4162 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

IF..there has been a breach of contract??? We do not know what the contract says.The buyer has no doubt put down $$ on the coach at contract signing and those $$ would be at risk..

That the coach has delivery issues and the dealer is addressing them will be hard to show breach of contract. This also sounds like a dealer who will not bend.(we have been to that dealer and walked away)We have seen this before and if the contract has not been breached and that is not as easy to prove as some forum lawyers think, the buyer is in a hard place.. I would of course try everything if not satisfied.

We also do not know all the detials of the "deal" between the purchaser and the dealer. That the OP said "we signed the contract" will make it difficult.
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#8 Kirk

Kirk

    Major Contributor

  • Weekend Moderators
  • 20310 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

While I don't have experience with the dealer or the manufacturer, I have done a lot of RV deals over the years and I would never tolerate this kind of treatment. Are you saying that the chosen RV was on the dealer's lot back on 2/13 and now, nearly six weeks later they have still not delivered it?

My conclusion would be that there is either a very major problem with the RV which they can't seem to solve, or they have a financial problem and are not able to clear the title to transfer it to you. I sure would not have any faith in them at this point and I would demand my money back. As I see it, there are two possible reasons for this situation.

The first is that their story of not being able to get needed parts may be true as manufacturers and suppliers very frequently will refuse to continue to ship parts to an authorized repair shop if that shop has a very large, unpaid bill for previously shipped parts. The factory simply refuses to ship additional parts until the current bill is paid up to be current, of if really old, paid in full. In that case the dealer many actually not be able to get the needed parts.

If that is not the case, then the issue may be what is called a "floor-plan" loan for the new RVs. When a dealer (cars, trucks, RV's, or most any very expensive inventory) receives a shipment of new RV's, they do not put up the cash to pay for them, but they have a lender who holds the MSO(Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) which is the same as the title, and who pays the manufacturer for the new RV. When the dealer sells that RV, he then takes the money required to pay for it to the lender and the lender releases the MSO for the dealer to supply to the buyer when he delivers that RV. Until the dealer clears the "floor-plan" financing against the RV, the buyer can not title it. This is the main reason that it is so common with vehicle purchases that the dealer takes care of the licensing of the vehicle after delivery. That gives him the time to get the money from your lender who is financing your new RV, he then takes that money to his lender, then gets the MSO and takes it to get the license plates and the new title, and the new title is then delivered to your lender. This is also part of the reason that so many dealers prefer to get financing for a buyer. If they can get you to finance the new RV with the same lender who carries their floor-plan, that makes the process of moving the MSO/title between the two lenders much easier to accomplish.

EDIT: Rich makes a good point, but I would be very concerned at this point. The reason that I would be so worried about this is that these are symptoms of a dealership that is in financial difficulties that are very serious. This kind of problem is very often one of the first indications that a dealer is approaching bankruptcy. Should the bankruptcy be filed, those who have deposits on RVs not yet delivered will typically just become one more lender, waiting in line for whatever amount the court will give them if the company fails.

Edited by Kirk, 25 March 2012 - 07:34 AM.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg
 


#9 Dick&Joyce

Dick&Joyce

    Senior Member

  • Validated Members
  • 320 posts
  • SKP#:108945

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

X2 with Kirk. In addition, those who are unsecured creditors waiting in line will usually receive nothing at the end of the liquidation process.
Dick and Joyce
2010 3665RE Montana 5th Wheel
2011 Dodge 2500 laramie edition
Norm, Diego @ Bitsy

#10 Paul Stough

Paul Stough

    Major Contributor

  • Validated Members
  • 778 posts
  • SKP#:105348

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Being both a skeptic, and a cynic, my advice would be to try and get your money back and cancel the whole deal. If the dealer is not willing to do that, then if the unit is drivable at all, ask to take delivery as is, and have the dealer reduce the price at least by the cost of the repairs. If the dealer is unwilling to do that, then I would suspect that there is a problem with getting the title for you. Then you may need to look at other options to enforce your contract.

Good Luck.

Paul
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J
Paul and Ann's Great RV Adventure

#11 Marcia E

Marcia E

    Full Member

  • Validated Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

Thank you all so much for your comments and advice. The way our contract is structured, we should be able to cancel and get our deposit back without "too" much effort. It is hard to determine if it is an issue with Fleetwood or La Mesa!

Should we cancel, we are considering purchasing a new Tiffin Allegro Bus from Lazydays RVs. Does anyone have experience with either of those?

(Unfortunately to add to this whole mess is that La Mesa is the only local dealer representative for Tiffin, Fleetwood, and many of the other motorhomes within 100's of miles!)

Edited by Marcia E, 25 March 2012 - 10:07 AM.


#12 DaveM

DaveM

    Major Contributor

  • Validated Members
  • 842 posts
  • SKP#:109123

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

Although I havent ever bought the Tiffin you can do a search on here and most of the results will lead to a good unit and company. As far as Lazy Days my guess is they are pretty good also listening to the experiences of others on here. I'm sure some Tiffin owners will chime in along with the Lazy Days buyers.


I've heard that Tiffin stands behind there products real well also, which is something you really need with an RV.


Dave
Dave & Linda
2011 Bighorn 3670
2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

#13 waynehill

waynehill

    Full Member

  • Validated Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Thank you all so much for your comments and advice. The way our contract is structured, we should be able to cancel and get our deposit back without "too" much effort. It is hard to determine if it is an issue with Fleetwood or La Mesa!

Should we cancel, we are considering purchasing a new Tiffin Allegro Bus from Lazydays RVs. Does anyone have experience with either of those?

(Unfortunately to add to this whole mess is that La Mesa is the only local dealer representative for Tiffin, Fleetwood, and many of the other motorhomes within 100's of miles!)


My advice? First things First! If you can get out of this hole, don't wait in the hole to dry out! Make a decision about another RV after you accept the results of this decision to buy from this dealer. From the good responses here, I would be making wet tracks away from there. Posted Image



Wayne and Maureen
Visit My Website
Posted Image

#14 steve & sandy

steve & sandy

    Senior Member

  • Validated Members
  • 418 posts
  • SKP#:96861

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

As for the Tiffin products you might want to ck out the Tiffin Forum run by Tiffin owners. www.tiffinrvnetwork.com

Tiffin backs there product & if there are issues that the dealer can't handle you can have it taken care of @ the factory in Red Bay, Alabama. For us that can be an issue as we base out of the Pacific North West. It's a long drive to the factory.

I Know if you are ordering a new Tiffin you can go to the factory & watch it being built. And we have met several owners that bought from Sherman RV & Kings RV (I think on line).
And Lazy Days in Florida. Many of them from Lazy Days as it's in there Snowbird travel pattern.

Best of luck with your purchase decision
Steve & Sandy
Papillon's Yoda & Ruby
2008 Phaeton 40QDH DP
http://allgire-travels.blogspot.com

#15 Smitty

Smitty

    Major Contributor

  • Validated Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

I wish you the best of luck:)! If you do determine that you have a contractual way out of this purchase, I would do so. Now, getting your deposit back will be the trick, as you may have trouble with this specific dealer in recovering those funds. Your judgement on if possibly losing that, or needing to take along time to retrieve it, is a good decision.

If it is just problems with this specific coach, not on options you agreed to have added on by the dealer, then perhaps just go in and insist on taking delivery 'as is'. Then working with another dealer on Fleetwood's responsibility to make things right on a new coach. This might be another angle...

The lessons learned here not just for you (which you know by the school of hard knocks - but for other readers in the future) - is to research the dealer as much as the coach, when deciding on buying new.

Don't let this sour you, get out and get that or another rig - and go have some fun:)!
Smitty
Be safe, have fun,
Smitty
04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

#16 Nick Russell

Nick Russell

    Major Contributor

  • Validated Members
  • 3064 posts
  • SKP#:56740

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

In my opinion you would be much, much better off with a Tiffin. The company has an excellent reputation for customer service. I'd walk away from the current deal even if it cost me some money.
Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper
http://gypsyjournalr...gory/nicksblog/
Author of "Meandering Down The Highway, A Year On The Road With Fulltime RVers" and "Work Your Way Across The USA, You Can Travel & Earn A Living Too!"

#17 HomeSweetRV

HomeSweetRV

    Senior Member

  • Validated Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with this one. We go there to look and are treated badly and lied to all the time. They hate that I look up things on the interent to prove them wrong.:lol:


agreed & FYI

http://www.bbb.org/s...ego-ca-8000484/
http://www.bbb.org/s...aints#breakdown

The good and the bad:
http://rvservicerevi...ch=&CategoryID=
http://rvservicerevi...ch=&CategoryID=
http://www.yelp.com/...la-mesa-rv-mesa


Hope this helps.

http://www.jrconsume...m/rv-dealer.asp

#18 HomeSweetRV

HomeSweetRV

    Senior Member

  • Validated Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

In my opinion you would be much, much better off with a Tiffin. The company has an excellent reputation for customer service. I'd walk away from the current deal even if it cost me some money.


WE are extremely happy with our dealings with both RV Wholesale Outlet, and Country Coach Corp. FWIW

#19 HomeSweetRV

HomeSweetRV

    Senior Member

  • Validated Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

Thank you all so much for your comments and advice. The way our contract is structured, we should be able to cancel and get our deposit back without "too" much effort. It is hard to determine if it is an issue with Fleetwood or La Mesa!

Should we cancel, we are considering purchasing a new Tiffin Allegro Bus from Lazydays RVs. Does anyone have experience with either of those?

(Unfortunately to add to this whole mess is that La Mesa is the only local dealer representative for Tiffin, Fleetwood, and many of the other motorhomes within 100's of miles!)


WE bought our RV a thousand miles from home! It's nice to buy local, only if the company deserves your patronage IMO

PS Thanks Kirk! Very informative!

Edited by HomeSweetRV, 25 March 2012 - 12:58 PM.


#20 sandsys

sandsys

    Major Contributor

  • Validated Members
  • 5806 posts
  • SKP#:99753

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

My experience is the best way to get back any money down in a situation like this is to pay a lawyer to write the letter for you. The lawyer will know how to word it to put the burden of failure to deliver on them. Even this dealer is likely afraid of being taken to court so will be more willing to refund your deposit.

Linda Sand
2012 Sprinter Sportsmobile
Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/