Entegra and Foretravel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ivan Snickleweed

Ivan Snickleweed

• All Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hi, guys and gals. I'm the new kid on the block. Looking for a DP and wannabee a fultimer. Anybody got any input on Entegra motorhomes? I like their winter package some floorplans,but I also like Foretravel coaches. If the price was equal which would you rather have: a new Entegra or a used Foretravel? Thanks.

#2 Bruce T

Bruce T

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 757 posts
  • SKP#:54339

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

Gee a hard question. I'm a sucker for good used units. I think I would lean towards a use Foretravel that has all the bugs taken out of it.
Travel Supreme, now Jayco, built an excellent unit. Not sure that Jayco is in the same league as Travel Supreme though.

#3 Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 861 posts
  • SKP#:102686

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

The used Foretravel without question. If I had to do the purchase thing all over again, I think that is the route I would go! You may have to make do with fewer slides but that is easily overcome by a good floor plan. :P

Paul

Paul & Marsha Weaver
Bella our cat
After 5 years Full-timing we are now Snowbirds
Home Base...... Canton, OH
2008 Carriage Cameo 35' SB3
2010 Ford F350 DRW
Blog: http://wheresweaver.blogspot.com
SKP# 102686

#4 AFChap

AFChap

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3287 posts
  • SKP#:83500

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

Absolutely without question, I would go for a Foretravel ...two Paul's for Foretravel :)
Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E
'05 Honda Odyssey
Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART
http://www.pjrider.com

#5 GzrGldGeo

GzrGldGeo

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 658 posts
  • SKP#:106686

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

I know nothing of an Entegra. I do know that Foretravel is a good coach. We went with a used Bluebird because it was the one we found first. Foretravel was on our list. I would look at older Bluebirds too, if you plan to look at used. I found the Bluebird much cheaper for a similar unit, due to the fact they are no longer in business. Bluebird is but Wanderlodge isn't that made the Motor Coaches.

We fulltime in a 1994 Bluebird and I haven't regretted that decision yet.

You really want to do your research and get a large CCC. Carrying weight is how much you can carry. You will be surprised to find that some Motorhomes are maxed out before you add a pound of you stuff. We shot for at least a 5,000 CCC. On the Bluebird it isn't an issue at all. We have it loaded down and still have about 1500 more lbs to spare. You won't find that often.
George Roberts
1994 40' Bluebird Wanderlodge WLWB 500 HP Detroit Diesel 8v92
Towed: 2008 Jeep Sahara Limited Hardtop 4 X 4
Blog: Not a Moment Too Soon

#6 mockturtle

mockturtle

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 656 posts
  • SKP#:108624

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

We bought a four-year-old Foretravel and it was a beauty. Nothing bad to say about it, fit and finish were perfect and the people at Foretravel Nacogdoches were wonderful.
RVing since 1994
2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis
2002 Honda CR-V toad
Roadmaster Sterling A/T towbar
VIP braking system
Eddyline Merlin kayak

#7 Ann N Gene

Ann N Gene

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1261 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

Very hard comparison indeed. We looked at both. Foretravel is a great coach, well over $1 million new so you will have to get several years old, older technology, fewer slides, fewer amenities etc to get down to the price of a new Entegra. In the end we decided on the new Entegra and like it very much, of course we had a Travel Supreme before that so we knew the quality and fit and finish etc of that coach. Entegra has taken a great coach (Travel Supreme) and made it even better. It is a completely separate division of Jayco and much higher quality standards are observed. For over 4 years they did not build more than 3 coaches per week to make sure everything was perfected and they could go over each coach to ensure quality. They are great to work with, put out a high quality product and start at about one third or less the price of a new Foretravel. All that being said, used Foretravels are great coaches with a lot of great features. You will have to make some decisions about tradeoffs, how long do you intend to use it, what amenities do you want and need etc. How many miles will you put on it per year and how many years do you plan to use it. You can upgrade a used Foretravel and make it almost like new, the basic frame and body are built like a tank and should last a very long time provided they get a little care and maintenance. Get your pencil snap, decide what you want and need and compare prices only after you figure in all the upgrades you will want to make it your own vs ordering a new Entegra fitted to your desires. Only then can you make an intelligent decision about what is best for you. Entegra does have a full 2 year bumper to bumper warranty as I think Foretravel does on new units so they are both confident that they are building great coaches. If you are careful you will have a great coach no matter what your final decision is. Both of these coaches are very high quality and make great full timing rigs that will last a long time. All just our experience and opinion. Good luck with your evaluation and ultimate decision, but with these two I do not think you can make a bad decision.
2013 Entegra
45 ft. Anthem DLQ
2012 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4X4 EconoBoost
http://community.web...om/user/gben101
http://bensoneducation.com

#8 Two Hams in a Can

Two Hams in a Can

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hi, guys and gals. I'm the new kid on the block. Looking for a DP and wannabee a fultimer. Anybody got any input on Entegra motorhomes? I like their winter package some floorplans,but I also like Foretravel coaches. If the price was equal which would you rather have: a new Entegra or a used Foretravel? Thanks.

We just put our 1996 40 ft Foretravel U320 on consignment with Motorhomes of Texas in Nacogodoches http://motorhomesoft...u320--40--C1551 We have spent the past 2 1/2 years fulltiming in it; and would still be in a Foretravel but for health issues. You can't go wrong with Foretravel. . .especially this one. Also, take a look at Foreforums.com

Edited by Two Hams in a Can, 24 March 2012 - 07:26 PM.

Jeff & Suzanne and Scout the Cocker Spaniel
17 ft Casita towed by a Silver Hyundai Santa Fe
[url="http://www.mytripjou...inacanrideagain[/url]

"We have one thing left on our bucket list. . .don't kick it!"
"What Happens In Vagueness Stays In Vagueness"                    

#9 AffinityBob

AffinityBob

• Validated Members
  • 131 posts
  • SKP#:109334

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

Ivan - I don't think Entegra and Foretravel are in the same price bracket. It is not really appropriate to compare Mercedes Benz $$$$ with Chevy $$. Some of our close RV friends have a 2005 Foretravel Nimbus they bought new. It is a beautiful coach. About the same level of appointments as our coach. We saw a new Entegra three weeks ago at a Rally at Lazy Days in Tucson and it was a very nice coach. Much lower cost than a Foretravel. At the same rally they had two American coaches. Those are beauties too, you should look at them.

Bob & Barbara
2002 Affinity 42' tag
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2012 Airdale Terrier

#10 mockturtle

mockturtle

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

You can upgrade a used Foretravel and make it almost like new

Yes, that is exactly what we did. The people at Nacogdoches redid the interior with all new fabrics, etc. and it looked better than new.
RVing since 1994
2002 Honda CR-V toad
VIP braking system
Eddyline Merlin kayak

#11 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20256 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Ivan,

Welcome to the Escapee's forums! We are happy that you have chosen us. We will do our best to be helpful. :D

One question that I have is, are you comparing new RVs or used ones? That could make a major difference.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#12 Bruce T

Bruce T

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 757 posts
  • SKP#:54339

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

Kirk raises a good point. Even though there is a 'perceived' difference between the two manufacturers, is that perception reflected in the size of the check you have to write for either one? The loose change from buying a 'lesser' coach will pay for a lot of extras such as fuel, campgrounds, repairs etc etc etc. I'd rather drive around with more money in the bank than in the motorhome!

I would put floor plan and budget well ahead of any 'status' issues with either coach.

But then it's all just a matter of opinion isn't it? Either way you have to be happy with what you have and you don't have to justify your choice to anyone other than yourself.

Heck if we all agreed on 'What RV' we would all be driving good ol 2001 Country Coaches. Wouldn't we? :D

#13 mockturtle

mockturtle

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

The OP clearly stated the choice was between 'a new Entegra or a used Foretravel'.
RVing since 1994
2002 Honda CR-V toad
VIP braking system
Eddyline Merlin kayak

#14 Smitty

Smitty

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

I don't think you can make a bad decision either, as both of these directions are solid...

Our Short List, included the then Travel Supreme's, Foretravel, Country Coach. While some models of Foretravels and Country Coaches are in a different league then the Travel Supreme (Entegra) - it is a fine coach.

I like the idea of buying a bit older Foretravel with the bigger block engines, and then having Foretravel update it to what you want. Suspect you will come out with a lower costing unit, and the bigger block Foretravels and Retarders, were given weighted bonus points on my Must Have's section. (Though we ended up with an Allure and ISL with Two Levels of Jake Compression - that was because the Allure's interior features and layouts nudged it up over a U295 we were looking at. The galley for my queen, trumped my Big Block and Retarder desire:)! No regrets...)

I also recommend you look at older Wanderlodge's, as they too fit into the upper end of the coaches. Same redo logic on the interior, with many good places to make the mod's.

Best of luck, and take your time and study until you determine what is important to you...
Smitty
Be safe, have fun,
Smitty
04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!