Re-newal of Good Sam Roadside Assistance Plan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#1 Gerryd

Gerryd

• Validated Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

I just received my re-newal option for the Good Sam Roadside Assistance...with a renewal price of $99.95. I also just received my Camping World 2012 master catalog. In the catalog was an ad for the Good Sam Roadside Assistance for $79.95. I called the telephone number on the renewal and was told that the $79.95 was for new customers only. When I asked if the addidtional $20.00 for a repeat customer was a penalty for being a loyal customer the representative stated that the reduced amount weas to draw new customers. He also stated that the value of Good Sam Roadside Assistance was really over $112.00 so the repeat customer was really getting a deal. Why not say a value of $1,000.00...then I would really think I'm getting a deal. Needles to say I'm not impressed with their marketing and I will not be renewing with them. However, we still would like a roadside assistance plan. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with Coach Net? (or another) Thank you in advance for you help.

#2 Newt

Newt

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2370 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

I just received my re-newal option for the Good Sam Roadside Assistance...with a renewal price of $99.95. I also just received my Camping World 2012 master catalog. In the catalog was an ad for the Good Sam Roadside Assistance for $79.95. I called the telephone number on the renewal and was told that the $79.95 was for new customers only. When I asked if the addidtional $20.00 for a repeat customer was a penalty for being a loyal customer the representative stated that the reduced amount weas to draw new customers. He also stated that the value of Good Sam Roadside Assistance was really over $112.00 so the repeat customer was really getting a deal. Why not say a value of $1,000.00...then I would really think I'm getting a deal. Needles to say I'm not impressed with their marketing and I will not be renewing with them. However, we still would like a roadside assistance plan. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with Coach Net? (or another) Thank you in advance for you help.

We had Good Sam ERS for years without ever using it. We changed to Coach Net and used them the first year. :lol: We were in Arches NP and they had someone there from Moab in 40 minutes.

Newt
2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB
2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

#3 Dutch_12078

Dutch_12078

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1489 posts
  • SKP#:103135

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

My experiences with Coach-Net have all been very positive, and prior to that, my experience with Good Sam was not so good. Good Sam's ERS call center contractor was Cross-Country at the time. They dropped our broken down Class C and my DW, dog, and I in front of a repair shop in VA on the Friday night of Memorial Day weekend, even though we had reservations at a campground about 10 miles away. We ended up sitting there until the problem could be diagnosed on Tuesday. The tow truck driver did make sure he spotted us where we could plug into a 20 amp outlet at least. On the other hand, Coach-net towed our Class A to a very nice town owned campground on a Saturday, with the truck scheduled to return on Monday to tow us to a repair shop. That time, I was able to make my own repairs over the weekend and cancelled the additional tow, but it was good to know it was there in case we needed it. After using Cross-Country and then Road America, Good Sam changed their contractor to Allstate Motor Club this year, so I don't know what changes may have been made. I have every intention of sticking with Coach-Net.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F-53 Chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS

Quadra Bigfoot EZ Leveler System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

#4 AFChap

AFChap

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3289 posts
  • SKP#:83500

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

We have had good service w/Coach-Net for about 9 yrs ...I think their pricing is very much like Good Sam's ...or more accurately, Good Sam copied Coach-Net's?..
Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E
'05 Honda Odyssey
Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART
http://www.pjrider.com

#5 Big Greg

Big Greg

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 660 posts
  • SKP#:96353

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

Interesting, we just got our GS ERS renewal yesterday & it was $112.95. I plan to call them and ask what "professional service center" means. A Ford dealer or the first shop they come to?
"•Unlimited distance towing to the nearest professional service center" is how GS describes their towing.

I also like the phone RV tech service that Coach-Net has available that I don't think GS ERS has. I'm also concerned about all the changes at GS. Greg

edit, I will add that 3 years ago the truck died & GS ERS took the truck to a Ford dealer & the trailer to the park we requested, they did real good.

Edited by Big Greg, 23 March 2012 - 10:15 PM.

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

#6 Dick&Joyce

Dick&Joyce

• Validated Members
  • 320 posts
  • SKP#:108945

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

We have Coach Net and find them very professional to deal with.
Dick and Joyce
2010 3665RE Montana 5th Wheel
2011 Dodge 2500 laramie edition
Norm, Diego @ Bitsy

#7 fred1609

fred1609

• Validated Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

I would be very curious to hear the response from GS regarding what professional service centre means. We too have GS emergency roadside service and wonder if we might have signed up for something that was wasnt clearly identified.

#8 Earl

Earl

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1416 posts
  • SKP#:104554

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

We have Coach Net and have only used them once. They were there in 20 minutes and very professional. They towed my 4wd truck, no questions asked, to a repair shop in a small town in Northern Arizona. Nothing negative about anybody else, but Coach Net was great and we will stay with them.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5rds for full-timing, now sold.

2011 23rks Keystone Hideout for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

#9 Paddywaggon

Paddywaggon

• Validated Members
  • 22 posts
  • SKP#:99791

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

We have Good Sam Roadside Assistance Plan. We have used them twice this year. Their service was excellent in a difficult, dangerous and complex situation. We lost upper radiator hose on our diesel pusher on a Sunday afternoon at the top of a 9 mile long 6% down hill. The road was a curvy 2 lane with a small shoulder and guard rail. They started contacting towing services, at the same time used tech support to find a repair to get me off the hill. A quick repair was not possible and no wreckers were available for 8 hrs due to multi vehicle accidents to the north. Good Sam Contacted the Highway Patrol who then sent a car to stand buy with lights flashing until the wrecker arrived. The state police arranged to get the first available wrecker. Good Sam had given me the choice of letting them arrange a wrecker which might take longer and be the wrecker be paid directly or let the state police set up towing which I would have to pay up front. It was a long wait for the wrecker but we had the Highway Patrol standing by. When the wrecker arrived it was just what we needed, a monster wrecker, they disconnected the drive shaft pumped up the air system and picked up the rig by the front wheels. We paid around $700 for towing to a nearby RV park. They also told us they would cover the towing later to get us to a repair center. The towing to the repair center was never needed since I repaired the hose my self. I sent Good Sam the bill and they paid everything in about 2 weeks. I felt like they had done as much anyone could expect and more. Good Sam Roadside assistance is priced about the same as Coach Net. I will stay with Good Sam

1999 Newmar Dutchstar (The Paddywagon)

1995 Light Blue Geo Tracker, Tintop, Automatic, Kayaks usually on top. Terra Trike Rovers on back

2013  Escapees Chapter 8, Wagonmaster/ President

Retired Merchant Marine Officer

My Better Half is Dawn

Traveling Full time with Paddy the Papillon and Yuma the Cat

#10 StarDreamers.us

StarDreamers.us

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1056 posts
  • SKP#:89742

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

we have always had CoachNet they have been good for us. I will remember that CW and Good Sam are in the same basket, and I am very unhappy that they will no longer be helping us with our CARE center, the ball rolls both ways. They will not support us, (CARE), I see no reason to support them! By the way I am a Lifetime member of Good Sam.

Safe Travels!
SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

#11 TXiceman

TXiceman

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 667 posts
  • SKP#:108682

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:52 AM

We got an email of an internet special renewal for $109.95. What we have done in the past is to alternate the coverage between me and the wife's name for a new customer.

I think I will switch to Coach Net this time.

ken

Amateur radio operator, 2012 Carriage Cameo 37RSQ, 2012 F350 6.7L, <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

#12 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4160 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

Marketing is marketing all of them do it .Coachnet has a "price' for new members. We have been members of most of the roadside services over the years and have had excellent service from all of them. We now have coachnet and it is a good service. The reality is they all use mostly the same vendors for service.If you want to rate the roadside service ask the tow operator vendor which service they prefer.

When our coach net service expires we will go to Good Sam and get the "new member" price. We did that with good Sam to get the Coachnet "new member price."
You got to play the game..
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#13 h2guy

h2guy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 596 posts
  • SKP#:68626

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

Don't overlook your insurance carrier. Ours only costs $1.00 per month and while we have GS coverage also, we've used them both over the years.

No difference in service in our experience.
Rick & Carolyn
01 F350 SC 6x6 DRW "Hercules"
01 CarriLite
In an interview,General Norman Schwarzkopf was asked if he thought there was room for forgiveness toward the people who have harbored and abetted the terrorists who perpetrated the 9/11 attacks on America. His answer was "classic" Schwarzkopf. The General said, "I believe that forgiving them is God's function. OUR job is to arrange the meeting."

#14 trailertraveler

trailertraveler

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

"I will remember that CW and Good Sam are in the same basket, and I am very unhappy that they will no longer be helping us with our CARE center, the ball rolls both ways. They will not support us, (CARE), I see no reason to support them! "

Just curious if anyone knows how much for how many years Coachnet donated to CARE? Do many Escapees members only do business with companies that donate to CARE? Do many others shop online through igive.com with CARE as the beneficiary?

Edited by trailertraveler, 24 March 2012 - 07:20 AM.

#15 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4160 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

Actually CARE is not a determining factor nor is any special interet group. The determining factor is what service is best for us.All things being equal we will go with CARE.
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#16 Dutch_12078

Dutch_12078

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1489 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

"I will remember that CW and Good Sam are in the same basket, and I am very unhappy that they will no longer be helping us with our CARE center, the ball rolls both ways. They will not support us, (CARE), I see no reason to support them! "

Just curious if anyone knows how much for how many years Coachnet donated to CARE? Do many Escapees members only do business with companies that donate to CARE? Do many others shop online through igive.com with CARE as the beneficiary?

From the club news sent to subscribing members:

CARE Receipt Rebate Program Concluded

Since 2002, Camping World has donated two percent of the total receipts for purchases made at Camping World businesses by Escapees members to CARE (Continuing Assistance for Retired Escapees). These funds have afforded CARE the ability to add much-needed equipment and facility improvements. We are grateful for all that has been accomplished with that funding.

We also thank the thousands of Escapees members who shopped at Camping World stores and sent in their receipts. Over $75,000 has been raised in the past 10 years!

Unfortunately, Camping World will no longer be able to offer the receipt rebate program, but our appreciation for their many, many years of support continues.

Dutch

#17 trailertraveler

trailertraveler

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

Dutch,

As an Escapees member, I knew about Camping Worlds donations. My question was How much has Coachnet donated to Care?

#18 Dutch_12078

Dutch_12078

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1489 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Dutch,

As an Escapees member, I knew about Camping Worlds donations. My question was How much has Coachnet donated to Care?

Sorry about that! I misread your question... :blink:

Coach-Net extends a discount to Escapees members when signing up for their service, but I'm not aware of any direct donations to CARE, if any.

Dutch

#19 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 5865 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

I'm not aware that CoachNet (or *any* ERS) has donated money to CARE. It was Camping World (NOT their ERS) that was donating money to CARE.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#20 trailertraveler

trailertraveler

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

"It was Camping World (NOT their ERS) that was donating money to CARE."

I understand that, but it seems that at least some are proposing that the fact that Camping World will no longer donate to Care is a reason not to use Good Sam ERS, buy at Camping World or have anything to do with Good Sam or Affinity, Certainly their choice, but by posting it on this forum, they seem to be advocating that other Escapees do the same. Which is why I asked how much Coachnet has donated to CARE over the years.